shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW New Tiffany Novo Ring for My Girlfriend

trojanwr21

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to post some photos of the ring I selected for my “soon to be” fiancé. I figure I do this since there are a few other Tiffany Novo owners that have contributed to this forum and I would like to contribute as well. Whether it be Tiffany or one that is made in a similar style, the process is not an easy one so hopefully this post will help those that are looking (particularly cushion cut diamonds).

So long story short, I settled on a Tiffany Novo. Part of the reason why I went this route was because of all the other Tiffany rings, this is probably the only one I would get for my girl from Tiffany’s. I also considered a Harry Winston type Micropave setting (to be made by Maytal Hannah) but my girlfriend said it was too blingy for her tastes (FYI, I have some quotes from HW for the real ring so if you are interested, I can give the range). Also, I saw this unbelievable gleam in her eye when she tried on the Novo a few years ago while ring shopping…this was the deciding factor on the style.

My girlfriend is not high maintenance, she is very reasonable and she always told me that we can go a different route in a similar style. I priced out “many” loose cushion diamonds through the usual places people refer to here on these forums, and they come out cheaper in price overall. Bluenile and Brian Gavin have rings similar in style to the Novo that look really nice and I did heavily consider them. But to be honest, at least in my eyes, there is just something about this Novo ring that can’t be replicated. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what might look good to me, might not look good to someone else. At the end of my decision, I couldn’t get her something that was a replica, I felt I needed to get her the original (please don’t bash me for that).

So rather than tell you the specs of the ring off the bat, I want to see how many of you posters can guess the basic specs of what I have selected. Later tonight, I’ll post the actual specs and my decision making process of why I chose this particular one…until then, here they are, enjoy:

IMG_0008 (800x520).jpg

IMG_0007 (800x465).jpg

IMG_0005 (800x548).jpg

IMG_0020 (525x800).jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that ring is fabulous and beautiful :love: :love: :love: , and I salute you for going with the one you loved most! You can't go wrong with a Tiffany ring and she certainly will love it! :appl:

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock
Amazing! Congratulations!! She is going to be over the moon with this ring.

My guess on the specs is 1.3-1.5 center stone. G color. It looks like she has tiny fingers, is the ring size about 4.5-5??

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is so beautiful!!! Congrats :love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is gorgeous and I too think you made a wise decision. Sometimes you just have to go with what sings to your heart - and hers.

I'm guessing too that it's about 1.3 - 1.5 in a near colorless grade. It's a very beautiful ring - she will be surprised and delighted that you've chosen it for her!

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
What a thoughtful fiance!!! Congrats, she will love it!!!!!

trojanwr21

Rough_Rock
Alright everyone, this is kind of long but please bear with me.

First, here are the specs:
Tiffany Novo 1.49 I VS1 (totally can’t tell it’s an “I” unless you put in next to a D/E/F diamond)
Cut/Symmetry/Polish: Excellent/Very Good/Excellent
Ring Size: 4.25

So why did I choose this ring? As far as finances go, I do ok. I don’t have much debt to begin with and we already have a nice sized wedding fund. We also already have a house so getting my girlfriend a nice ring was something I wanted to do whether it was Tiffany’s or not. My choices were many to be honest. I had the following brought in by the sales associate helping me:

1) 1.32 H VVS2
2) 1.43 G VS1
3) 1.36 G VS1
4) 1.46 F VS1
5) 1.32 G VS1
6) 1.29 F VS2
7) 1.14 H VVS1
8) 1.49 I VS1 (my ring)

As far as cushion shaped diamonds go, there are no readily available guidelines to follow. It took me a while to realize that I can’t spec a cushion diamond the way that you can a round diamond. With that in mind, you need to see these things in person, with your own eyes. Here are the lessons that I learned from my engagement ring hunt (or at least my thought process).

trojanwr21

Rough_Rock
Lesson #1, get a cushion shaped diamond. This is the reason why you are paying for that shape, otherwise, why bother? What is weird is that some of the diamonds I selected where a little more “square” than they are “cushion” shaped. I seen some pictures by other forum members of slightly less than 1 ct to 1.30 that show great cushion shapes. But for some reason, a few of the one’s I selected were square, so I ruled them out (#1, #3 and #7).

Lesson #2, get a color that suits you. This was the hard part since color is so subjective. Some people like cool (blue) looking diamonds, others like a warmer feeling (yellowish). I’m more in between. People associate color with affecting performance but that is not true as I read that you can have an F colored stone with a bad cut that won’t look nice. I had #2, #5, #6, and #8 in the store to look at one day. The G, H, I color range at Tiffany’s are so close (at least in my eyes) that I couldn’t tell the difference in the store. The sales associate let me compare the rings in natural daylight by going next to the window. Even at that point, I couldn’t see the difference until I tilted the rings in a certain angle that I saw a very slight tint in the I…the G and H rings were virtually the same. It wasn’t until you compare the F (#4) that you notice the color differences in all of them. FYI, when you get into the next color range at Tiffany’s, you pay a nice premium…nice as in “not nice” lol. The F was definitely in my budget but I wanted a G color to avoid the color range premium since they are so close in color.

Lesson #3, light/fire performance. Not all rings are created equal. In their own rights, each ring sparkled beautifully and had nice light return (all of them have excellent cuts). But when you put them side by side, that is when you start noticing the differences. Again, #5 actually ended up looking more square compared to the last 3, so I ruled this one out. #6 was nice but the premium you would have to pay was something I wanted to consider only if #2 and #8 failed. Between #2 and #8, I couldn’t explain it but #8 had more fire. The sales associate did a blind test by putting #2, #8, and #6 on her finger and showing it to about 8 different customers and sales associates. Without telling which ring was which, they all picked #8 saying that it had a better shape, fire, and oddly enough, color (even though it was the lowest in the range).

To be honest, I was set to buy the 1.42 GVS1 (was a few thousand more) but there was something about the 1.49 I VS1 that I couldn’t get away from, and the blind test proved it as well. They both had similar ratings, excellent cut, excellent polish, very good symmetry. However, I will say this, my ring had a 1% smaller table at 66% and about a 0.5% higher crown angle (actually it could’ve been lower angle, not sure anymore). Whether this did anything is questionable but in the eyes of mine and other people, the 1.49 I VS1 was the best performer of the bunch.

The lesson to take from all of this is that specs aside, you need to look at the diamonds with your own eyes in different lighting. Your eyes will tell you what is good and what is not. I also heard this somewhere before but I don’t remember where: “color doesn’t equal beauty, it equals rarity”. So by going down in the color scale, you are sacrificing rarity but it will always be beautiful so long as it’s an excellent cut stone that performs well…that is, speaking in terms of the colorless to near colorless range.
Finances dictate a lot of people’s decisions. So you need to factor this in as well. I seen lots of beautiful rings on this site (Tiffany and non-Tiffany) and you can’t go wrong with either. What matters is the meaning of the ring and the person whom you give it to, that, IMHO is priceless.

On a side note, I would like to thank Tiffany’s for their great service. The sales associate wasn’t pushy, was very well informed and was patient with me through this long process. I saw her about 9-10 times, it actually felt like I was working there since I ended up getting to know the other sales associates and the security guard =)

Handshots to follow, assuming she accepts my proposal. Otherwise, I’m open to any of you single ladies out there, lol :naughty:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! It sounds like you made the perfect choice for you and your FI-to-be, and the ring is beautiful! :appl:

Can't wait to see handshots :bigsmile:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
beautiful ring, and thanks for posting about your Tiffany experience! nothing wrong with going with the original :) nice to hear that you were able to see many different Novo rings and pick the one you liked the best! congratulations and I hope your girl loves it :)

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Gawd, what a gorgeous ring. Just beautiful! :appl: :appl: :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*sigh* What an absolutely beautiful ring...so stately and elegant! A beautiful choice, very well done!

tannet

Shiny_Rock
The ring is beautiful! I love cushions too! I think following the heart is the best choice anyone can make...regardless of what others may think. I think you made a wonderful choice and I'm sure your GF will love it. Congratulations! I look forward to seeing hand shots. :))

trojanwr21

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the nice comments. This is truly a beautiful ring to see in person. What I couldn't capture with my camera is the fire/brilliance of this wonderful piece of jewelry. The ring does face up smaller than a round as most have already mentioned. Additionally, the size difference between a 1 to 1.30 ct compared to carat weights from 1.35 to 1.5 are noticeable. Anything within those two ranges look pretty much the same.

About the proposal, originally I was planning on having someone make an ipad app for me to help me propose to my girlfriend but that would take too long and it's too geeky :bigsmile: I'm now planning on going to the Santa Barbara wine country to propose at the first place we went to together on the third weekend of April...

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! When I had a novo people would stop me all the time to say how beautiful it was. There are some nice copies of the setting but it would be very tricky to find a cushion with the right cut. Congratulations!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's just stunning. I certainly don't think you can go wrong with a Tiffany ring!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Lovely .. I was going to guess H because Tiffany grades strictly on color. My friends have Tiffany diamonds in the near colorless range and they could easily pass for an F.

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing your Tiffany experience story with us. The ring is absolutely breathtaking! It's one of my top three favorites.

Your proposal story of the vineyard sounds so romantic. Good Luck - and come back with the proposal story and pictures.

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
What a very well-thought out plan, you considered everything possible, most important your financial situation. She will be so proud to wear such a beautiful ring.

Congratulations in advance!!!

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
Oh the Novo :love:

I don't care what people say about Tiffany, sometimes it's just the combination of quality and that little blue box that just does something for some of us..haha I personally always loved the Legacy but the Novo is another gorgeous option. Can't really go wrong though!

Good luck and please post hand shots WHEN she says yes!

faye119

Rough_Rock
hi Thanks for sharing!! beautiful ring!

I've got a novo ring recently. i am just wondering if you have got the detailed specs yet? e.g. table %, depth %, crown angel...

trojanwr21

Rough_Rock
faye119|1301952330|2887715 said:
hi Thanks for sharing!! beautiful ring!

I've got a novo ring recently. i am just wondering if you have got the detailed specs yet? e.g. table %, depth %, crown angel...

My sales associate gave me a printout of the specs on the day of purchase. I haven't gotten my official package yet as that is coming into the store in a couple of weeks. But here they are if you are curious...

Carat Weight: 1.49
Cut: Brilliant
Clarity: VS1
Color: I
Cut Precision: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Excellent
Table Depth %: 65.2%
Table Size%: 66%
Crown Height %: 13.8%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion Depth %: 48.5%
Pavilion Angle: 42.0
Girdle Thickness: Medium
Cutlet: None
Fluorescence: None

If you notice, the table size on the diamond is slightly bigger than the depth. Other Novo's I seen on this forum have tables that are smaller (around 58-63). Not sure how this affects the overall performance of the diamond. From the looks of the one I got, it is very sparkly.

Edit: Hey faye119, I looked up your post on your ring and it looks very nice. I didn't know you also got the sola (I hope I spelled that right). I saw it in person in the store and it is a nice ring, congrats :D

faye119

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for your speedy response!
i've got both novo and sola yellow diamond. i love both!

i also have a thread on " purchas forum" , i saw your post there as well!!!

You are such as nice boyfriend! your girl will be absolutely thrilled by the novo you've chosen!!

Good luck with your proposal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results