shape
carat
color
clarity

My "Fat" Marquise RightHand Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got this stone in 1985 when my aunt picked it up for me in Los Angeles. (I live in the San Francsico Bay Area). Back then you could not buy off the Internet and the only way to get a discount was to buy from the Diamond Districts of NY, SF, or LA. I paid her $5K at the time for it. Didn't know anything about cut back then and it looked okay to me, so I bought it. I have since completed the Diamonds, Diamond Grading, Colored Stones, Colored Stone Grading, and Gem Identification classes through the GIA "Distance Learning" aka Home Study and received my Gemologist Diploma in 1989.

Here are the specs from the GIA-GTL report:
1.47 ct F-VS1 MQ
10.36 x 6.27 x 3.77 (1.65 L:W outside the trade preference of 1.75-2.25)
Table a whopping 66% (3A)
Depth 60.1% (1A)

Now set in a cocktail (aka Right Hand Ring) ring which also includes 24
F-G VS Princess diamonds with a weight of 2.32 cts. TW = 3.79 cts.

p.s. The Diamond Tennis Bracelet is 6.50 cts, F-G, VS stones
(this is the one I had before I got a new one from Wink in August 2004 which can be found here).

small_P7180692a.jpg

small_P7180693a.jpg

small_P7180702a.jpg

So which one do you like better the 1.47 MQ or my e-ring 3.01 pear?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
cflutist, that is very pretty! I prefer the pear because I've always loved pears, but this one is gorgeous too. I like it with the square side stones. Is 1:67 more skinny than what is considered ideal or more fat?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.65 L:W is too fat (should be 1.75 - 2.25 which would be more skinny - length divided by width)

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
That is a very pretty ring as well. I really like the fatter marquise stone.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Cflutist, that is beautiful. You got a great deal even in 1985!!! My original engagement ring from my now-husband was a 0.78 fat marquise, VS-2, and I think an F color. We purchased it in December of 1985 for $3,800 just the diamond! What a rip-off!! Then in 1993, I traded it in for the 2 ct marquise, SI1, H color by giving them my diamond and a bunch more money!!! Again a big rip-off!! Wasn't until after I sold that marquise to a friend at a HUGE discount and purchased my 2 ct pear that I found PS. When I purchase my next diamond (someday), I'll probably go internet.

Lovely shaped marquise, by the way. I like 'em fat too!!! As far as the one I prefer, I would have to say the pear but only because I had a marquise for so long (my pear is only a year old) and, besides that, it's HUGE!!!!!
love.gif
lickout.gif
(drooling as I type)

DiamondLil

Patty

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/18/2004 4:53:30 PM Patty wrote:

cflutist, that is very pretty! I prefer the pear because I've always loved pairs, but this one is gorgeous too. I like it with the square side stones. Is 1:67 more skinny than what is considered ideal or more fat?----------------

Thanks...If I would have read the title of your thread, I would have seen that it was FAT!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting!
1.gif
I think it's a great ring...Your educated eye must be more critical becasue it looks very very nice to me and full of sparkle...
3.gif
And I think it is a nice shape MQ. I also think it's great to see solitaire/larger single stones as "right hand rings"...Why not?
naughty.gif

Thanks again!!!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear this ring very often because I have been teased at work ...
they have called me "double headlights". When I do wear it, it is probably when I am performing with the orchestra I play in (am a classical flutist), or when we go out to a fancy restaurant (but this is very rare because websailor is a burger kind of guy ... in fact this year I told him I would take him anywhere he wanted for his birthday ... he chose a pizza joint over a 5 star restaurant!!!)

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
"double headlihgts" tht is too much! Actually, you bring up a rather serious issue for me... I get teased A LOT at work and I don't like it at all. I don't "load up" and am careful to not wear too many pieces but whenever I wear something new, this one woman screams "Oh, Jennifer got more diamonds" so people, most of whom feel obligated--I am sure- run over and look at it, and it really embarrasses me. I mean, I don't have the Hope Diamond for Pete's sake...Now, I "hide" it when i have something new...but I will wear it... It REALY annoys me.
angryfire.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer5973, its really sad when others feel they have to tease you. My mother always taught me, if you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all. BTW, I think you have a wonderful collection of rings. Wear and enjoy each one of them and forget what others say ... they are probably just jealous.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
thanks, cflutist (cool profession btw!) for the reality check --you are right; my mom taught me the same thing! I wear my stuff; otherwise, what's the point of having it? And thanks for the great compliment; I am glad you like my collection!!!
1.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/18/2004 10:44:52 PM cflutist wrote:

... he chose a pizza joint over a 5 star restaurant!!!)----------------

Sounds like my kind of guy!
9.gif

Besides it leaves more money for diamonds!
naughty.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
EXCELLENT point, Nan!
9.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer5973, I am actually a Consultant in the IT (Info Technology) business. Started by programming mainframe computers more than 20 years ago. Classical Music and Gemology are my hobbies - I use my 10x loupe more for getting splinters out rather than looking at diamonds now. I had a really tough time in the GIA Diamond Grading class, they would send you stones in the mail to grade and if you were more than a grade off in color or clarity, you would lose points ... I had trouble with the VVS stones, couldn't see a thing
rolleyes.gif

Was just thinking, some women would die just to have one of your rings ... and you have a whole bunch of them ... no wonder they are jealous.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/18/2004 11:15:56 PM sevens one wrote:

----------------

9.gif

naughty.gif
----------------

I should clarify and tell you that the pizza joint had sawdust on the floor!!! And then some kid at the next table got it all over websailor's fleece jacket ... that will teach him !!!!

Nah, no more diamonds for me ... am spending our disposable income on cruise vacations and paying down my mortgage (only have 6 years left) so I can retire early.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Awe, thanks, cflutist! It makes me feel really good you think that...I had one RUDE comment once from someone who said "Is that a different wedding ring than yesterday? Why do you have several wedding rings? that's stupid." Instead of punching her in her snotty mougth (I was at work--not a good idea), I just smiled and thought to myself, "She WISHES she had just ONE of my rings--hmmmm, maybe the 6 ct VS, E princes eternity band custom made for me in platinum...which I am sure cost 4X what her crappy, frozen-spit solitaire did." Catty of me, yes-- but better than slapping her or scratching her eye out.
naughty.gif

You are an inspiration--I really want to take one of my 2 serious hobbies and do more with them in my life and I think it's great you've done that with yours. With work and life, it can difficult to find the time...Good for you!!!
appl.gif

My ultimate dream is to take what i do and use those professional skills in an area of interest...isn't that everyone's ultimate job fantasy--to work everyday on something we're passionate about? To me, it is my dream! To REALLY love what you do!
love.gif

That's part of what made my visit to SuperbCert so enjoyable--you could see how much Barry & Judah loved what they did and how rich in history and tradition their business is.
1.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's one for you, on our 10 day cruise around the Tahitian Islands in April of this year, some lady on the ship asked me if my e-ring was real. That caught me by surprise. How would you have responded?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Ugh. I think I would have said "It's as real as you are rude."

Or, how about this: "It's real--a real big diamond."
naughty.gif

Some people are just rank.
rolleyes.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I've always had people asking me if my ER was "real" to which I respond, "Well, it's not imaginary; but if you are inquiring whether it is genuine, it certainly is". "Thank you for asking!".

I too am a jewellery buff and spend much of my disposable income (hubbies too!) and sparkly things. And when I tire of items I recycle them to my sisters (I have three) and friends. Hence, I get the same kind of response, from colleagues, as Jennifer has; but I just laugh and agree and chime in saying "yes, yes, I am selfish and self-centered"; b/c those who really know me, know that it just isn't true. And to all the rest it doesn't really matter what you say.
saint.gif

A funny antidote: In my first semester teaching University, some of the students couldn't remember my name; but my colleagues told me these students would refer to me as "Prof Rocks". (and no, not referring to the ones falling from my head....) hahahahahaha
loopy.gif

BTW, I am a fancy shape stone kinda gal and love both the marquis and pear. I hope to upgrade my RB to a GIANT oval cut. My husband just rolls
wink2.gif
his eyes..............................

cheers

Sharon

websailor

Brilliant_Rock

9.gif

naughty.gif
----------------

I was quite happy with that birthday...had just the right amount of food (in the fancy restaurants that my BW was thinking of, they give you way too much), and the atmosphere was great (for me, cflutist was not sure what to make of the sawdust and you should have seen her rolling her eyes when the local folks stasrted showing up and swigging beers!!!), and it was a new/different place than we've been to before....

My BW and I just have different "tastes"

21.gif

I have to tell you about our vacations - see, we do budget ourselves, so sometimes we wait for things we want... anyway, we have two types of vacations - this all started back when I proposed (ask cflutist to tell THAT story!!!)...

On her vacations, we go on cruises - the nice large ships....it costs a bit, we eat tons of food, get dressed up with pictures taken, and sit around the pool.... But on my vacations, we go on camping trips to State or (when I can talk her into it) National Parks... it costs very little, we hike a lot, see wild animals, and see gorgeous scenery...

So her $$$$$ and my $ average out to just $$ which fits our budget.....

saint.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/18/2004 11:50:51 PM cflutist wrote:

Here's one for you, on our 10 day cruise around the Tahitian Islands in April of this year, some lady on the ship asked me if my e-ring was real. .......
----------------

cflustist is sooooo modest....

11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
What happened was we went down too early to the tenders, were standing around in a poorly lit, kinda dark area with a crowd of people. As a bit of sunlight got into the area, someone caught the flash off her e-ring and asked to see it... Said "OMIGOD!!!" or something to that effect, then told her companions they had to see this ring... they all crowded around, as my BW was backing up farther and farther... finally her back was against the wall, she was surrounded by gawking women, and everyone was telling all the folks just arriving to come over and look....

I was just about rolling on the floor laughing, the scene was so funny....

It was like a mini mob scene and even caught the attention of the crew....

She finally got talking with another woman who knew about diamonds (after the nasty question above), and was rescued when they started speaking technical stuff...

(( Good thing she wasn't wearing her MQ also!))

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/19/2004 3:26:57 PM websailor wrote:

(( Good thing she wasn't wearing her MQ also!))

----------------

Aha! Now, can we see that bi-flashlight? Both rings on one finger that is
11.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, you shamed me into it.
Here's one from the side.
The pear is 3.01 F-SI1
The marquise is 1.47 F-VS1

small_P7210722.JPG

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an artistic picture by my hubby websailor, who thinks there is beauty outside of diamonds alone ...
11.gif
12.gif

The pink flower is a hibiscus from our backyard

small_P7210734.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice !

Hibiscus barely grows in pots here... with no diamodns on top to boot! Forgetting any technical considerations whatsoever, both stones look just great from this side of the screen
1.gif
Thanks.

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
You sure do have some GORGEOUS rings!!! Love the picture with the hibiscus flower.
21.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Stunning with the bright pink! Still so gorgeous!
love.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist
WOW !!! thats a beautiful pair of rings.
10.gif
30.gif
must of miss this old post.the 1.47 MQ sure looks big compare to the 3 ct pear.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results