shape
carat
color
clarity

My 5.01ct GIA L VS1 Round Brilliant Diamond

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, everyone! I've been consulting threads on here for a few months, during my diamond quest, though I just joined. My husband of 10 years stunned me with his declaration that he wanted to buy me a 5ct diamond. In my quest to find the right stone, not much was coming up in the ideal cut/high color/high clarity range that cost less than, say, a house. I chose the parts that were really important to me. High color was not (I loved the thread on here about low color diamonds, because I have always loved warm diamonds). Clarity was super important to me, because I have eagle eyes, and I can see flaws in VS2 and below without magnification. I do like uniqueness, though, and I was willing to compromise on cut (I like the irregular character of antique diamonds). A sunny, beautifully unique diamond finally presented itself, and I adore it! It's the one in my profile picture. We just bought it a few weeks ago, and I am wearing it in a bag around my neck because I don't want to be without it while a ring is made! It's GIA certified, L color, VS1 clarity (would be VVS1 if not for two tiny naturals on the outside of the pavilion, near the girdle...I am into natural crystals, and those tiny cavities show beautiful crystal formation under magnification but are not visible from the top). The crown angle is a bit less than ideal (though the table size is pretty perfect), which means that the optimal viewing angle (with maximum brightness) is a bit tilted from head-on, which doesn't bother me. The stone is 11.5mm in diameter. I am thrilled with the diamond and can't wait to wear it! I am having a ring made from platinum, with tiny diamonds on the shank and rounded edges, and tiny diamonds all around the basket setting and 6 prongs, diamonds not visible from the top. So exciting!!!

diamond-on-crystal-forum.jpg

diamond-outside-fingers.jpg

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing! Your L looks very pretty--do you have any other shots in different lighting, especially profile shots? Thx!

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
It's very white! Congrats on getting a honker! Would love to see more pictures. When is your ring ready? Would love hand shots too.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
It looks beautiful! Very unique :love:

Who is making the setting? It sounds wonderful, by the way!

Can't wait for hand shots! :appl: When do you expect to receive the finished ring?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sure, here are some more pictures, in various lighting conditions, starting with a profile shot. :)

dia1.jpg
dia2.jpg
dia3.jpg
dia4.jpg
dia5.jpg
dia6.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, everyone! I found a jewelry designer on eBay, actually, and they worked with me to create what I want. They say it'll be finished sometime this week and I'll have it within two weeks of now. :)

Here's a CAD graphic of the ring, but it'll be made in platinum.

ring-graphic.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely and huge! :love: More photos please. :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful stone and the setting looks like it will be beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished product! Congratulations!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks! I am so excited! We aren't telling anyone yet. He wants us to unveil it around Christmas time.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Yay!!!

Your stone looks lovely and warm and creamy.

I could be wrong, but I think I've read somewhere that antique diamonds, which were often in the K-Z range, were sometimes called "candlelight diamonds". This was because diamonds were worn mainly by the aristocracy and mainly at night for dinner, before electric lighting. (See the scene in Downton Abbey c.1913 where no one can get used to electric lights. "It's like being on stage at the Gaiety!" says Maggie Smith's character.) So, back then there was no craze for icy colours and the warmer colours were the norm, set off beautifully by the kind of dim, creamy lighting which their warm colours resembled, and in which they were almost always seen.

Or, I could be completely wrong about antique warm diamonds being referred to as candlelight diamonds. I really have no idea where I read it.

But if I'm correct, Tourmaline, you can go round referring to your diamond as "Oh, yes, it's a candlelight diamond, don't you know!"

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o :love: :appl:

WOW!!! I never in my life thought I would see a 5 carat diamond, and this is one of three gorgeous 5+ carats I have seen here on this amazing site! Wear it always in health and happiness!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and setting!!! Very impressive. I am looking forward to see the finished ring!!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, another 5 carat diamond! :love: :appl: I am amazed that there are quite a few here now! Y'all need to start a thread that says "Show me your 5 ct+ diamonds!". Can't wait to see the finished ring!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Missy, I positively LOVE your ring. In fact, it was your ring, months ago, that brought me to this site for the first time. I was leaning toward an OEC diamond, but we ended up going another way. Still, your ring is absolutely breathtaking. I had a picture of it on my computer desktop for inspiration during my search! :)

I'll take more photos of my stone tomorrow in daylight, and then even more once it's in a ring.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your diamond is gorgeous :love: :love: :love: , and I can't wait to see her in the new setting.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!! Bet you can't wait to get it set and be able to wear it!!!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Phoenix|1384746534|3558288 said:
Your diamond is gorgeous :love: :love: :love: , and I can't wait to see her in the new setting.

Thanks, Phoenix and others who have shown support! :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1384724195|3558142 said:
Missy, I positively LOVE your ring. In fact, it was your ring, months ago, that brought me to this site for the first time. I was leaning toward an OEC diamond, but we ended up going another way. Still, your ring is absolutely breathtaking. I had a picture of it on my computer desktop for inspiration during my search! :)

I'll take more photos of my stone tomorrow in daylight, and then even more once it's in a ring.

Aww, thank you so much Tourmaline. PS has quite the amazing diamond collection and your newest addition is breathtaking as well. Really looking forward to seeing as many pics as you have the energy to post. :love:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Really looking forward to seeing as many pics as you have the energy to post.

I just took a bunch outside but only a few came out decently. Hmph. I put it on an empty pendant setting for a couple of the photos.

dia7.jpg
dia8.jpg
dia9.jpg

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty stone - congrats on finding it! Wear it in health and pls post pics of your ring. The setting looks lovely and delicate. Enjoy!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! That is a beautiful find! Perfect for you. :love: :love:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Just beautiful I like the side shot to see the yummy warmness of the color. Can't wait to see it set :appl: :appl: :appl:

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
Eeeep! I can’t wait to see how it looks finished. I love lower colored diamonds but there aren’t as many large modern cuts around here are there are old cuts to look at. I love both but I’m really interested to see how your L looks in it’s setting. I’m sure it’s going to be lovely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results