shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I *need* the VC setting?

lucky-gal-2017

Rough_Rock
I recently got engaged!! And I get to pick the perfect ring setting. I never really thought about it because I thought my man would pick me a ring and I would just accept it as it is. So I started everything from scratch, from figuring out what my dream ring is! What a sweet problem to have.

Anyway, I'm set on halo, and of course I came across Frankie's posts, and I was pretty much dead set on getting the VC Emilya. Love the details, love the fact that it's hand crafted, love everything about it... except for the price. I mean, he doesn't (seem to) mind, but I feel bad. So just to give him and myself the peace of mind that every dime we're spending is worth it, we started shopping elsewhere as well, just to see what options are available.

The first jeweler we went to gave a quote higher than VC...

The second jeweler was able to customize the ring at 1/2 of VC's price. It seems kinda low for a hand forged ring, kinda high for a casted ring...

The third person is actually a diamond seller who was referred to me by a friend, and he knows some very good jewelers. So I started asking him questions, like if it can be hand crafted, what kind of metal composition (I like 90/10 ir for the whiteness), and he sounded a little overwhelmed. But the price he quoted is a lot more reasonable - less than 1/3 of VC's, a tad bit higher than what I've seen elsewhere for a casted ring but not much. He started to convince me that modern machine work is capable of very precise details. He explained that porosity is purely bad work and can be avoided. He also showed me a ring that he worked on recently that shows tons of tiny little details, and I'm honestly impressed.

I like VC's setting because it has minimum metal shown in general, not just at the halo lip, but the curved legs and donuts as well. I also like the fact that it's 100% hand made - I feel more "loved" wearing it than wearing something that comes out of a machine. It may have a higher appraised value? I don't know. I also want to support true craftsmen like him, in case there's a chance of comeback against the machines! BUT I also want to be financially smart. If we talk about a ring made with precision, I have no doubt a machine can do a better job than humans, I'm an engineer after all. However, VC convinced me that the whole casting process is bound to create imperfections. Is there any reason why we can't have a slanted halo made by a machine?

I'm torn, I can't decide if I can come to terms with excellent machine work, or pay 3x for an heirloom-grade VC setting. Help!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you love the Emiliya, I would suggest going with VC because he's executed it so many times it's surely to be perfection.

lucky-gal-2017

Rough_Rock
PintoBean|1486587981|4126174 said:
If you love the Emiliya, I would suggest going with VC because he's executed it so many times it's surely to be perfection.

But we can remake the cast 100 times to make sure it's perfect too! Though I'm sure they'll fire me before it comes to that. :lol:
Hopefully within 10 recasts? That's reasonable, right?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are remaking the cast 100x you are going to be paying for 98 casts!

If you are not sure that the Emiliya is exactly what you want, then don't take the plunge and keep looking at different setting styles. If it were me, I'd get a simple solitaire for now and live with the stone and get to know its personality first before finding its forever setting.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
If I wanted a ring like the VC Emilya, I'd buy the VC Emilya. He's good at it. He does incredible work and the end result is just perfection. If you try to imitate it, you likely won't be 100% thrilled with the result.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I love VC's workmanship and if the ring is exactly what you want- I say go for it. With that said I recently went to a casting demonstration at a local Spectrum award winning jewelers shop- he's won a ton of awards! I actually was amazed at the amount of work that also goes into a well made CAD/CAST ring! I would not feel that a ring is "less special" if it is cast. Many are one of a kind-and made just for you, so I think that's special. I think we Pricescoper's are much,much pickier than the average person and I really doubt most people can even tell the difference between a hand forged ring and a CAD/CAST ring. I'm probably not helping you decide, but I would never feel my ring was not special enough if it's not hand forged.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could certainly have it made cheaper. I will certainly not be of the quality of his piece. The Emilya has a tilt to the halo and the metal work is so fine that you can barely see it.

Assuming that you will never want to upgrade this ring, subtract the difference in price between his and the lower priced contender. Divide it by 20 years and see how much money you would save over the course of 20 years for a ring that you will presumably wear every day. I honestly don't think you would regret spending the money when stretched over time! If the money is a huge issue, wear your ring as a solitaire until you are able to get the setting you want. You will never regret buying quality!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
m-2-b said:
For micropave halos, Victor is one of the best in my personal opinion. I have no regrets resetting to my Emilya halo--the money was well spent! My thread w/ detailed pics of my setting can be found here:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wf-4-7ct-aca-in-victor-canera-emilya-cathedral-setting.227774/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wf-4-7ct-aca-in-victor-canera-emilya-cathedral-setting.227774/[/URL]

Damn those are some incredible pics!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are my thoughts (biased by my own experience): get the VC.

It could be hard to upgrade later, and maybe you will be sentimental about the ring you had on your wedding day. My DH wanted to spend $10k on an e-ring for me... but he had a lot of student loan debt so he and I picked a $175 e-ring and a $400 band. No regrets, because we had no money! But now that we're out of debt, so you think he's motivated to spend even a few thousand on bling? Nope! Lol! It's saving for babies and a home. So keep in mind that depending on your finances, saving money might make sense (if you're in debt) but if you're living comfortably then damn - buy it now. Life is short. Your fiancé is ok with it.

Especially when you know that quality like that exists, I think it would be hard to settle for less. If you bought a cheaper setting and a stone fell out (this happened to my friend) - would you be devastated and regretful?

Good luck and congrats on whatever you decide!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice: know thyself.

First off, the fact is that you will not be able to get victor's quality and aesthetics with a cast ring. I've had two of his rings. I've seen others. So no matter how many times they cast that ring, it's not gonna look exactly like how your stone would be in Victor's setting. Not the proportions, the tilt, the minimal metal, all of that. His rings are customized to your stone.

Given that fact, if you know that you will be fine with a halo that isn't perfect the way Victor's halo is perfect, given that you are paying less, then go for the cast. But if you have some kinda plan to get victor's halo by casting, tweaking, trying to get the right size of melee, minimizing and shaving metal, I would say don't waste your time and save yourself the stress. It's not gonna happen. Sorry to be a downer.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll save you the time and energy having had an emilya halo myself. NO ONE is going to be able to replicate a VC emilya. Get it done right the first time.

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
If you are 500% set on the Emilya halo, then get that. There are a few cautionary tales scattered on PS about imitation pieces gone wrong and it rarely ends well.

If cost is a concern then maybe talk to VC about your budget and see what he can suggest, or if you're even the tiniest bit uncertain I would keep browsing.

Some more thoughts here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-please-with-victor-canera-emilya-and-anna-marie.193823/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-please-with-victor-canera-emilya-and-anna-marie.193823/[/URL]

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
If you have the budget for it, Victor 100%

I now have 2 hand forged halos, (VC and SK) and a cast pave piece from Brian Gavin. Victor's work is my favorite.

What is the center stone?

Congrats!

lucky-gal-2017

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the replies! You ladies are so very (not) helpful! LOL. I am more certain now than ever that I want the Emilya.

It's not that we can't afford it. The VC setting won't break the bank, but let's face it, it's not just a drop in the bucket either. We are budget conscious, but definitely don't mind spending on quality. The only thing we're saving up for right now is early retirement, already got a house, no debts, and if we have a kid, we'll just do regular retirement.

As a matter of fact, the rock is already in a solitaire setting right now. He basically didn't even try to find me the ring. He said I have always been the picky one, he didn't want to spend the time and money to get something I may end up disliking, so he picked the cheapest 14k white gold ring (with a crooked prong too!) in the store just so I have something to wear meanwhile. Thanks for the lovely sentiment :angryfire: I can't wait to get rid of this ring. (I never had a single piece of real jewelry so he didn't even have a clue where to start, so I have to give him some slack)

I guess I just needed confirmation that casting is not going to be as good as VC's work. That said, I work in technology and believe in technology. The first iPhone came out only 10 years ago and look where it is now. The camera in each iteration is better and now it's being seriously compared to DSLRs. 3D printing only got commercialized a few years ago, and we now have 3D printing pens. Books/graphics actually look better on HD screens than on print. But technology can be used to cut corners to make room for more profits as well. I just don't know where things are headed in the jewelry world. I'm curious to hear from pinkjewel on what she learned about the casting process though!

lucky-gal-2017

Rough_Rock
poshmommy|1486610132|4126385 said:
If you have the budget for it, Victor 100%

I now have 2 hand forged halos, (VC and SK) and a cast pave piece from Brian Gavin. Victor's work is my favorite.

What is the center stone?

Congrats!

Thanks!

It's a gia 2.8ct F VS2 :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds like a very nice diamond, so absolutely the Emilya is worth it! Sometimes it worries me when people are paying more for their setting than the diamond, because I think in that case, I would spend almost the whole budget on the diamond. But in your case, I'd certainly go for the Emilya if that is the setting style you want. You'll never regret going with the best quality, but you definitely might have regrets later if you don't.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Your stone sounds amazing and given the investment already, I would definitely have VC make the emilya. I too went back and forth between VC and numerous other jewellers (I'm in Australia) and in the end I knew I always wanted an emilya halo and thought I'd never be satisfied without it. So VC set my antique 2c pear and I still look at it ten times a day. He is a perfectionist and it's dainty and perfect! You will not regret it!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VC that sucker!

I ended up resetting my diamond because I didn't like the first setting. Don't make my mistake.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To use your iPhone example, yeah, technology is amazing - but how long does it last? I think I need to upgrade my phone every few years (at least) ;-)

So get the ring setting you won't need to upgrade! Especially with such a gorgeous centre stone :)

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
As an Emilya owner myself (albeit with a much more modestly sized stone than everyone else here!), I also say he's worth it. His pave is amazing. There's no "gear-like" look to his work and it's as smooth as a non-metal band can get. However, despite owning two of his rings, I'm no expert and can't tell the difference between hand-forged and cast. The other thing to think about, which has been mentioned, is whether this stone is your final stone or if you plan to upgrade. Like you, we could afford the setting cost, but it wasn't an inexpensive setting by any means. If you do plan to change your stone in the near future, it might not be worth the cost, but if you don't, I think it's completely worth it.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Another happy Emilya owner.

I will also add that his pave is incredibly smooth--I recently tried on a pave band somewhere and was shocked by the difference in comfort. And I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but my diamond is a decent sized(2.26), and even though I like my rings on the loose side, my Emilya never spins.

lucky-gal-2017

Rough_Rock
Thanks again! Once I have the ring back I'll definitely post some photos :naughty:

However, I don't know when that will be. Fiance has a trip to LA in 2 weeks so I'm sending him there to check it out. He also wants to fly me out there so I can go check it out as well. I want to, I really want to, but that's just adding to the cost of the ring unnecessarily... I don't need to visit the showroom, but I think it will make the whole experience more complete.

We'll see, maybe he'll be so blown away by VC's work during this visit and we can get it done sooner!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lucky-gal-2017|1486689382|4126843 said:
Thanks again! Once I have the ring back I'll definitely post some photos :naughty:

However, I don't know when that will be. Fiance has a trip to LA in 2 weeks so I'm sending him there to check it out. He also wants to fly me out there so I can go check it out as well. I want to, I really want to, but that's just adding to the cost of the ring unnecessarily... I don't need to visit the showroom, but I think it will make the whole experience more complete.

We'll see, maybe he'll be so blown away by VC's work during this visit and we can get it done sooner!
Just get the stone and ring from VC. Sam you time and headache and get a discount on setting and get superideal cut and meet VC, all in one fell swoop. Suck it up and do it!! You won't regret it. What a great opportunity.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
If your fiancé is willing to fly you out, I would do it. I can totally understand the concern of 'adding' to the expense, but I think it is a small price to pay to talk things through in person and see his samples in the showroom.

Different jeweler, but I avoided traveling to NYC from DC when having a custom band made and ended up not having exactly what I wanted. I ended up paying to have it remade. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I wish I had just paid for the train ticket/hotel night as that would have been less than the redo costs. I have since been to the jewelers showroom in NYC and without a doubt would travel there in person next time to ensure whatever I pursue next is perfect (even though I have now seen all the samples in person).

I'm sure you can be successful without going as well, but take the opportunity if you have it.

kylier

Shiny_Rock
You said you would feel more loved with the VC setting so to me that's simple. If it's in the budget get the VC.
I get what you are saying about technology but Victor is an artist.
He has strong feelings about proportion and beauty and will let you know. He will want to build a ring around the stone that perfectly fits it, and that takes into consideration melee size, metal width, etc.
I have a VC ring and the odd thing is everyone has noticed the craftsmanship, even jewelry newbies. They notice the little details and they know there is something special about it but they don't know exactly what. I feel it is that artist's touch.
i will also say that my VC is definitely more durable than other platinum rings while being more thin and intricate. The platinum mix he uses is amazing. i wear a platinum ring on each hand (switching hands randomly) and the VC definitely has less wear.
If I was going with a halo style and I was going for that minimal metal look I would not hesitate to use VC. The extra strength would be important. There is a reason he costs more. If you can afford it you will save yourself heartache. I have seeen too many threads where people were taken in by jewelers promising to deliver cast work to imitate hand forged settings by master jewelers and those threads often end in heartache and wasted time and money.
That said, jewelers really can cast beautiful, amazing halos, but just don't expect them to look like the handforged inspiration pics. With halos that are really delicate there is a limit to what machines can do.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kylier|1487001717|4128091 said:
You said you would feel more loved with the VC setting so to me that's simple. If it's in the budget get the VC.
I get what you are saying about technology but Victor is an artist.
He has strong feelings about proportion and beauty and will let you know. He will want to build a ring around the stone that perfectly fits it, and that takes into consideration melee size, metal width, etc.
I have a VC ring and the odd thing is everyone has noticed the craftsmanship, even jewelry newbies. They notice the little details and they know there is something special about it but they don't know exactly what. I feel it is that artist's touch.
i will also say that my VC is definitely more durable than other platinum rings while being more thin and intricate. The platinum mix he uses is amazing. i wear a platinum ring on each hand (switching hands randomly) and the VC definitely has less wear.
If I was going with a halo style and I was going for that minimal metal look I would not hesitate to use VC. The extra strength would be important. There is a reason he costs more. If you can afford it you will save yourself heartache. I have seeen too many threads where people were taken in by jewelers promising to deliver cast work to imitate hand forged settings by master jewelers and those threads often end in heartache and wasted time and money.
That said, jewelers really can cast beautiful, amazing halos, but just don't expect them to look like the handforged inspiration pics. With halos that are really delicate there is a limit to what machines can do.

Kylier, sorry to threadjack but your VC ring is a constant source of inspiration to me. I love so many aspects of your ring. Even though I have a VC myself, yours is just so beautiful. You get spoiled by VC. Once you have one of his, it's hard to go back. And I cannot agree more with what you said. I'm just too lazy to type it all out. I've made the mistake of trying to settle. Cost me twice as much, easily, in the end.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
As others have said, we have seen many people try to replicate a delicate halo with cast and it just can't quite ever get to the level of VC. Can a cast halo be beautiful? Of course, but the heart wants what it wants. It's not really a distinction between machine made and VC--a machine can paint a replica of a Vermeer painting, but it will never be the same as a real Vermeer. Look at more photos of VCs work and compare to this other jeweler--look at closeup photos, macro photos, etc. Look at videos. Look at details.

Ultimately, only you can decide if you'll be happier paying less or having a real VC piece. I know which one I'd choose, given the option--and be thankful your fiance is letting you choose! We have also read many stories from women who were unhappy with their ring but their fiance did NOT want to EVER upgrade. Or, he decided what style HE liked, and went with that instead of considering her wants. :wall: Getting to choose your dream setting is a great thing!

lucky-gal-2017

Rough_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1486647513|4126494 said:
...but it wasn't an inexpensive setting by any means. If you do plan to change your stone in the near future, it might not be worth the cost, but if you don't, I think it's completely worth it.

I can't ask for more of a diamond at this point, but we all experience DSS, right...? And to say that this is going to be my forever diamond is like saying this is going to be my absolute final purse for the next 5 years at checkout, ha, ha, ha... sigh... Probably the sentimental effect will have a bigger influence on my future decision. The fact that he's willing to spend so much effort into getting me the ring of my dreams... I'm going to say this - I'm never going to let go of it!

lucky-gal-2017

Rough_Rock
Honestly, never had I thought I'd get 100% unanimous vote for Victor!

I called the toll free number to make the appointment today. I didn't expect Victor to pick up the phone! My heart skipped a beat. It feels a little bit more special already. Probably nobody has scheduled for an appointment so far in advance? Anyway, I can't wait!!!

(I hope Victor is not reading this thread, I'm going to go hide under a rock now....)

Anyway... should I go for the wedding band? Might as well... right?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results