shape
carat
color
clarity

Would love opinions on this chunky cushion I just bought

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
Long time lurker. It's fun learning here. I own a couple diamonds, most nothing special, one decent. I'm pretty laid back when it comes to stones.

I've been wanting a chunky cushion to put in a ring or pendant. I don't have a lot of money to play with for this project, so I've been hunting a chunky cushion for some time now that fit my price and size range. I not a perfectionist, and I love the buttery hues that come with J,K,L,M color stones.
So I bought this the other day from JA. Just wanted some opinions on it, constructive or critical. It's not quite Old Mine...but I liked the look of it.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.24-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-sku-2352852

Thanks much for any input. Cheers!

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
That is an absolutely gorgeous diamond! Just stunning! :love:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! Please show us pictures once you receive it :love:

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for the awesome feedback. Proportionally it's a little odd, bit shallow, but it faces up big, which I liked.
I bought the cheapest setting off JA just to have it in something when it's delivered. I'll be sure to share some pics in SMTB when it arrives. I'm really feeling a pendant though :)

ETA:
Anyone think it might perform well in a bezel set pendant? Or suggestions on what the best setting to showcase a stone like this is?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you search anything in particular to find it?

I love it.

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
No, I just was doing my normal scour of the sites and it popped up on James Allen. I snagged it.

Thank you! I really feel fortunate to have found it. They had one other but I didn't want an S clarity with such large facets.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No ASET?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Regarding finding a similar cushion on JA: you can search for table size 56% and smaller when searching for cushions on the JA site and find antique style cushions that way.

Alybetter, your cushion is lovely, and has an authentic old cut look to it (it also resembles an AVC to me). Very pretty, I'd love to see hand shots when you get it! :)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh I've looked at the chunky cushions on JA's site and wondered what they'd be like in person! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the chunky cushion when you see it in person! This cushion has a lovely vanilla buttercream body color. I hope you can refrain from licking it! It looks delicious!!!!! :lickout:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LightBright|1487084959|4128564 said:
Regarding finding a similar cushion on JA: you can search for table size 56% and smaller when searching for cushions on the JA site and find antique style cushions that way.

Alybetter, your cushion is lovely, and has an authentic old cut look to it (it also resembles an AVC to me). Very pretty, I'd love to see hand shots when you get it! :)

Thanks!

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
I didn't ask for an ASET. For shame, I know. It's pretty shallow so I'm betting the ASET wouldn't have been that great? I assume the stone does indeed leak light. But I just loved the look of it, and it was really inexpensive. Price was a factor, and this was first one I'd seen that had decent clarity and wasn't over 5K. Like I said, I'm too wishy-washy to hunt for perfection. This is just a anniversary/project fun thingie.

I've used JA so much. I've bought all our marital jewelry from them. And yet I had no idea that there were such specific search criteria available. Thank you for pointing that out. I literally was scrolling through tons of results using my regular ceriteria selections.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I cant wait to get that sucker.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I think your K cushion brilliant is lovely. 59.5 is not extremely shallow.

Agree that putting in a 57%/56% table or smaller will usually bring up the chunkier cut cushions and cushion brilliants.

In helping someone else search for a cushion I found one antique cushion on LM that was 57% depth....really shallow and so I started researching threads on PS about shallow cut cushions, and found some interesting perspectives from a couple of trade experts in old cuts that prefer the shallower cut cushions....namely Adam at OWD..several PSr's commented on the fact that Adam prefers the shallower cut antique cushions. Here are the threads I found. FYI Yoram cuts the "new" antique cushions for GOG and DBL.
Also love the Kozibe effect on your cushion and posted info. on that below.
Can't wait to see your stone set and hand shots.

What were the JA gemologist's comments on the stone you bought?

shallow antique cushion 54%

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-looking-for-elongated-antique-cushion-for-under-6k.176795/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-looking-for-elongated-antique-cushion-for-under-6k.176795/[/URL]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn_aT-uKtNY&list=UU6HIj62yZjThDHS5NSkilgA&index=44&feature=plcp

Yoram commenting on 51.7% Depth shallow cushion…”still could be gorgeous”

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-think-of-this-cushion-specs.71353/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-think-of-this-cushion-specs.71353/[/URL]

cushion facet discussion with jon and yoram

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rectangular-cushion-vs-square.79371/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rectangular-cushion-vs-square.79371/[/URL]

kozibe effect

Here is an interesting article on how the culet that produces the Kozibe effect and because of the cut of the stone produces more fire.

"The reflections of the culet occur when crown and
pavilion facets are both steep. The same proportions
produce fire....Pairs of culet reflections on crown facets form when
light bounces off the center of the pavilion into the crown facets. The
reflection of the culet appears dark because light does not reflect back
from it but passes through."

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/modern-cushion-vs-antique-cushion.23890/page-2

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
Wow, Ariel, thank you so much for all the reading material and information. Seriously, that's awesome and I appreciate you.
I can't wait to delve into it.

I only fell in love with the more vintage-style cushion cut a year or so ago. It was these forums that got me interested in this type of cut. But I'm cheap, which isn't always a good thing when selecting stones. I don't want to pay the prices for AVC, even though I think they're very lovely.
What with cushions being so subjective and having very few hard and fast rules/recommendations, I sort of just 'wung it'.... I knew the size, facet style, color and clarity and the price I wanted to spend, and I just bought the first one that really made me happy after a few months of looking. I didn't even ask for ASET or gemologist commentary on the stone. I know, crazy. I just don't fully trust virtual inventory, wanted to get the stone in my hand and spend some time with it.
If I'm not happy with it, I'll return it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alybetter|1487147202|4129026 said:
Wow, Ariel, thank you so much for all the reading material and information. Seriously, that's awesome and I appreciate you.

I only fell in love with the more vintage-style cushion cut a year or so ago. It was these forums that got me interested in this type of cut. But I'm cheap, which isn't always a good thing when selecting stones. I don't want to pay the prices for AVC, even though I think they're very lovely.
What with cushions being so subjective and having very few hard and fast rules/recommendations, I sort of just 'wung it'.... I knew the size, facet style, color and clarity and the price I wanted to spend, and I just bought the first one that really made me happy after a few months of looking. I didn't even ask for ASET or gemologist commentary on the stone. I know, crazy. I just don't fully trust virtual inventory, wanted to get the stone in my hand and spend some time with it.
Excellent decision. I hope you'll love it. Most shallow stones have issues but there are a handful that don't, and I hope yours will be one of the few that looks fabulous!

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1487164597|4129066 said:
Alybetter|1487147202|4129026 said:

Excellent decision. I hope you'll love it. Most shallow stones have issues but there are a handful that don't, and I hope yours will be one of the few that looks fabulous!

Thanks, Chrono. I hope so too. I'll definitely post up in SMTB when it arrives. I have a semi decent camera and I hope to get some opinions from the experts here if I can some good macro images.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Alybetter. I was wondering if your diamond arrived and what you thought of it. And if you have any pictures :naughty: :lickout:

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
PattyCo|1487769040|4132072 said:
Hi Alybetter. I was wondering if your diamond arrived and what you thought of it. And if you have any pictures :naughty: :lickout:

Well, dang. Firstly, I live in England, but I can only receive mail via USPS, so things take a while, especially from JA where they have to pull and set the stones. While I was waiting for the K cushion, I made the mistake of surfing the JA and WF sites and stumbled upon an M triple Ex RB. It scored well enough for me on HCA, so wouldn't you know, I swapped them out, still having time to do so. JA customer service has been very patient with me, this is my 5th or 6th order from them.
I really wanted an M, or an N, but JA only gets down to M. I have a tinge of regret, but not too bad. I've never had a decent RB, and never purchased one before, my ER is an Asscher. So now I'm waiting for my M.

Like I've said before, I'm wishy-washy and always changing my mind. My poor husband takes the brunt of it. I'm sorry I won't be able to share that lovely K with you guys. But I'm sure I'll blast the place whenever that M shows up.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Lol! No worries about it. JA is a really nice place. The emerald cut diamond ring in my avatar is from JA. It is my favorite place to drool over diamonds. All those little videos are so mesmerizing. My wish list with them is maxed out, lol! And I would love it if the color choices went even lower.

I'll check back a bit later 'cause I am looking forward to lots of pictures of your new MRB. :wavey:

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
PattyCo|1487793280|4132285 said:
Lol! No worries about it. JA is a really nice place. The emerald cut diamond ring in my avatar is from JA. It is my favorite place to drool over diamonds. All those little videos are so mesmerizing. My wish list with them is maxed out, lol! And I would love it if the color choices went even lower.

I'll check back a bit later 'cause I am looking forward to lots of pictures of your new MRB. :wavey:

Thank you, you're so sweet. I agree about JA's site, it's a time sucker for me. I do wish they went all the way down the color grades. I found a 3 carat super white orange today, great cut, for only 16k. It looked as light as the M I just ordered. I had to slam shut my iPad and do something else :)

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
PattyCo|1487819894|4132425 said:
Stick that sucker on your wish list!!!! :lol:

I did. My husband would have an aneurysm, tho. He fully disagrees with diamonds :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results