shape
carat
color
clarity

Tempted by an EGL stone...

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I know I will most likely be flamed for this one! EGL! The horror :). However, I have come across a stone which I really seem to love. Unfortunately it is graded by EGL. I have been assured by the seller that it is eye clean, looking at the numbers from the report and running it through the halloway it comes as a 1.2 which seems very good. Only other downfall is that it is only Good/Good.

Would you steer clear. I kind of already know what most of you would say but maybe I need some tough love!

ElectricEvoIX

Rough_Rock
AllieLuv83|1326387815|3101285 said:
I know I will most likely be flamed for this one! EGL! The horror :). However, I have come across a stone which I really seem to love. Unfortunately it is graded by EGL. I have been assured by the seller that it is eye clean, looking at the numbers from the report and running it through the halloway it comes as a 1.2 which seems very good. Only other downfall is that it is only Good/Good.

Would you steer clear. I kind of already know what most of you would say but maybe I need some tough love!

I'm not a professional on this matter however just having just purchased an e-ring for my fiance I did ALOT of research on this matter. Other will most certainly disagree. If you want to see pics I made a thread earlier about what kind of setting I should get.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-advice-on-a-setting.170526/#post-3101282#p3101282']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-advice-on-a-setting.170526/#post-3101282#p3101282[/URL]

It really depends on how it looks in person and under a loop. Are the imperfection dark or white? I wasn't opposed to an EGL stone but it had to be EGL USA or I wouldn't look at it. The jeweler I worked with found me an 2.4 EGL USA stone that was an ideal cut and very eye clean. I had seen dozens of stone uner a loop before so I had an idea of what I would find acceptable given my budget, etc. So it's mainly up to you as far as what you'll find acceptable and how you feel about it.

GIA does grade harder than EGL so i've been told but to me at the end of the day as long as your happy with the stone that's all that matters. No one is going to say "oh my god that is a beautiful stone, who did the grading on it?" I compared stones with EGL certs and compared them to GIA standards. What I found was for the most part the EGL numbers were within bottm end of a top range or a category below GIA. So going on the EGL %'s and comparing them to GIA %'s, if the EGL stone was ideal cut and had X depth I would see where that depth would fall according to GIA and sometimes it was in the same ideal category and other times it was borderline good/ideal according to GIA. So again look at the stone under a loop and if you really love it and it's acceptable to you then I say go for it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who's the seller? Where's the report? EGL or not I'd need all the angles and info.

I have owned a few EGL-USA stones, and they had reports and were close if not on par for grades.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cannot seem to get that to blow up...

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The price is a vital element here.
It's likely an L-M color.
If the price is low enough, it might be a nice buy.
it's certainly a desirable, and hard to find carat size.
MAKE SURE TO GET A MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!!

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
The rock does face up warm but not yellow at all according to the seller.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like it is a designer stone. I think it looks nice, so the key element is not overpaying. See what a GIA K and L/S1-SI2 costs and then compare.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
What do you mean it looks designer? Is it cut differently from a regular rb?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1326400930|3101460 said:
Looks like it is a designer stone. I think it looks nice, so the key element is not overpaying. See what a GIA K and L/S1-SI2 costs and then compare.

this. knowing that EGL can be laxed on color and clarity grading so I would definitely find pricing for lower color and clarity grades of GIA stones and make sure you are paying along those lines. Try getting the seller down if you feel the price is too high- and explain that their stone is EGL and that by GIA standards their grading is soft and therefore the price should reflect that...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AllieLuv83|1326403185|3101499 said:
What do you mean it looks designer? Is it cut differently from a regular rb?
The cert says "Daussi brilliant", so I am assuming it is sold by the designer Henri Daussi, but I do not know that to be 100% true. It just means he has stones cut for his collection and sends them to EGL for a report, which I think is not smart. But hopefully he doesn't sell poor quality stones.

I really think you need to be able to get an appraisal and have a return policy to take a chance on it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's not eye clean. There's what appears to be a doozy at the upper left prong. If it's super cheap and you don't mind not having eye clean, go for it.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I noticed that white feather, the vendor assures me that you can not see it with the naked eye. I even asked why it wasn't on the plot and he told me it is because EGL does not plot things you cannot see with the naked eye? Am I being schooled?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AllieLuv83 said:
Yes I noticed that white feather, the vendor assures me that you can not see it with the naked eye. I even asked why it wasn't on the plot and he told me it is because EGL does not plot things you cannot see with the naked eye? Am I being schooled?

I did not notice the "Daussi Brilliant" label- good catch DS!

Doesn't make it worth a penny more though.
In terms of what you were told AllieLuv83: I can't say the stone is eye clean or not- but a statement that EGL will only plot things you can see with the naked eye is a load of bull.
Maybe it's just a zeroxed copy- so we can't see the notations on the report....

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I just emailed just to confirm one more time that the stone is eye clean. I noticed the feather right off the bat and asked why it wasn't on the plot and this is what was told to me.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you share what they are asking for it? Just the ball park. Then someone here can say if its a good price or not. looks like a nice stone tho.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Why do you think the feather is not on he Plot? Do you think I was sent the incorrect report?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost never can see inclusion plots clearly when reposted on the vendor's sites or here. So what we can see on our computer screens is not necessarily what the real report has on the inclusion plot.

If there is an unconditional return policy, then you have nothing to lose except return postage, right? If so, take a look at it and have an appraiser check it out for you,.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I really think I will. I will post once it's in my hot little hands!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
We cannot judge eye clean or anything from photos. You cannot either. And you cannot always tell what is or is not on a clarity plot from a photo copy, the red marks never show up it seems.

You cannot judge color from a picture, but it looks noticably tinted to my eye in the photo, L-M perhaps. Maybe lower. Clarity, who the heck know.

You have not told us the price, which is the most important thing for us to be able to help you 8) Is this on the primary or secondary market? On ebay or a private seller? All of these things matter to detemrine value.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Seller would like $5400 and this is from a vendor that is well known here on PS. Though I am having a heck of a time getting answers from them currently.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Price is in line with retail comps, maybe a tad lower. I would not personally spend that on this diamond, too many question marks, and I am not a fan of warmth in modern RBs. Have you seen lowere color modern RB in person? If you have been looking for a K-M color modified RB, then this might be a good option. But I do not think it is enough of a deal to buy *in spite* of those specs, ya know? It also will not look much larger than your present ring that you are selling IMO, if that is the goal. Just my 2 cents! For that money I would look on the secondary market and jump the 1.5ct mark 8)

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
My current ring is only 6.5mm spread and this is close to 7.4mm spread. You don't think I will notice the difference? I agree with you on the pricing! Though I have not see anything much warmer than a J in person...I am willing to take a risk on EGL but I am not sure on this particular EGL. I am not sure where to find much of the secondary market except for the Bistro. Ebay scares me a little.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
AllieLuv83|1326736160|3104315 said:
My current ring is only 6.5mm spread and this is close to 7.4mm spread. You don't think I will notice the difference? I agree with you on the pricing! Though I have not see anything much warmer than a J in person...I am willing to take a risk on EGL but I am not sure on this particular EGL. I am not sure where to find much of the secondary market except for the Bistro. Ebay scares me a little.

Spread: OK, you would notice it. I think the bigger thing you would notice is the tint, but that is variable. Maybe you are not color sensitive and maybe you would like it! If you can, go out locally and try to see some stones that are GIA K-L-M color. See what you think. Also, what is your goal with selling your ring and getting a different one? Size? Just change?

If you want a warmer stone for size, I do suggest an old cut or chunky cushion, they look a lot better with warmth IMO. But you need to see something in person to know.

Yeah, ebay is scary. I dip my toe but it is nerve wracking. There are consignment pieces on JBEg and also GOG has consignment, DB obviously, and most B&M jewelers will have a consignment section. In all of those venues I personally would want to haggle a little because seems like prices on consignment are often higher than they should be, but it is worth looking. You can also ask help here for people to suggest things from ebay for you.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I would like something bigger! Well I contacted the seller with 2 more stones to think about. I know that my current H will face up much whiter than the any H from EGL, I have seen stones that are a J and they do not bother me color wise. I would like to find an EGL H, so that it would be closer to a J. As much as I love antique cuts, I would still like a RB.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Allie I know EGL is tempting because of the price point but it really does not save you anything :blackeye: Vendors are savvy and they know where they should send a diamond.

Vendor has diamond X and needs to decide where to send it, GIA or EGL? He knows roughly what the diamonds' specs are in color and clarity and cut before he makes this choice, his experience allows him to "pregrade". And so he will send it to the lab that will get him the most money on the market. If he thinks the stone will get dinged by GIA at important cut points for value -- Good cut, color below J or K, Clarity below SI1 -- then he will send it to EGL. And even though EGL trades lower than GIA *for the same specs*, diamond X will still cost MORE with an EGL report than it would with a GIA report. Consumers don't know this and end up getting hosed. So the reason I do not recommend EGL is because as a consumer you cannot beat a diamond vendor at his own game. We cannot "adjust" EGL specs to find out what the stone would cost with a GIA report. But you should assume that a diamond with an EGL report simply costs more than its true comps with GIA or AGS reports. Why assume that? Because if the diamond would have cost more with a GIA report, the vendor would have sent it to GIA to begin with!

So, you want a larger RB, don't mine J color. I assume you also do not mind SI2 clarity? And you want as close to 1.5ct as you can get, right? What is your budget?

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I don't mind SI1 or SI2 as long as it is eye clean. I simply would not be able to touch GIA in my price point. Between $5500-$6500.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results