shape
carat
color
clarity

salton jewelry spa is awesome for cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ninasstar

Rough_Rock
Okay, I''m obsessed with my new diamond rings.....I have purchased the coinnousuers (spelling???? sorry) cleaner from target, the salton jewlery spa, and sparkle sparkle jewelry spray. For every day use, the stuff in the red jar from target (coinnousuers) works great. I must say, however, that I am so impressed with the salton jewelry spa. I just received it yesterday (ordered from digitalkitchenstore.com for $59, I believe) and used it. It is AMAZING. It has a heated jewelry cleaning cycle, which is great....and then, there''s a steam function, which is super powerful. I just love it!!!! I know many of us here on pricescope our obsessed with cleaning our diamonds, so I thought I would share. I also ordered Sparke Sparkle and just received it today, although haven''t used it yet. I''ll let you know what I think of it once I try it....although some of the jewelers that visit pricescope say it''s fantastic....which is why I bought it.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info a girls ring can never be too clean.
1.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
just outta curiousity, do you need to use special water or chemicals (ammonia, etc)?

35.gif

ninasstar

Rough_Rock
Alexah,

Yes, with the jewelry spa I have to use distilled water.

It works great!

I bought it from digitalkitchenstore.com, but found it on QVC last night for a little less....$54 I think, vs the $59 I paid. I think QVC''s shipping was a little less expensive, too.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2004 9
6.gif
1:11 PM
Author:ninasstar
Okay, I''m obsessed with my new diamond rings.....I have purchased the coinnousuers (spelling???? sorry) cleaner from target, the salton jewlery spa, and sparkle sparkle jewelry spray. For every day use, the stuff in the red jar from target (coinnousuers) works great. I must say, however, that I am so impressed with the salton jewelry spa. I just received it yesterday (ordered from digitalkitchenstore.com for $59, I believe) and used it. It is AMAZING. It has a heated jewelry cleaning cycle, which is great....and then, there''s a steam function, which is super powerful. I just love it!!!! I know many of us here on pricescope our obsessed with cleaning our diamonds, so I thought I would share. I also ordered Sparke Sparkle and just received it today, although haven''t used it yet. I''ll let you know what I think of it once I try it....although some of the jewelers that visit pricescope say it''s fantastic....which is why I bought it.
Can you fit a bangle bracelet in the Salton Jewelry Spa? Just curious as I have one with chanel set stones that I''d like to clean in some sort of ultrasonic, but don''t know if this one would work
33.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have the Salton Jewelry Spa as well, and it is awesome.
It actually is not an ultrasonic, but rather an electrocleaner.
The only problem is that while many places are carrying it, Salton doesn''t actually make it anymore and you can''t get the powder that is included on re-order. You have to find alternatives (trust me, I''ve investigated this in depth).
Anyway, yes, you can fit a bangle or other larger pieces in it.
It doesn''t leave that "build-up" that all those bottles of red stuff leave on the diamonds. Also, since it uses distilled water, you don''t get that hard water build-up either.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Since it is a electrocleaner and not ultra sonic, can you not use "sonic cleaners"? I have recently ordered this unit and I was not aware of the problem of the cleaning solution. I have a ultra sonic, but you cannot use it for tanzanite or sapphires. Any suggestions on substitues for the powder.. or should I cancel my order. Thanks!!! Abbott

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You need to purchase a jewelry cleaning POWDER. The powder that comes with the unit gives the ingredients, so if you get something along those lines, it should be fine. I contacted the company that made the powder and they only sell large, industrial size quantities.
Although, since so many retailers are selling the unit, perhaps there is alternative re-order info being included in the package???

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Why powder?? My ultrasonic cleaner came with a powder.. I like the ultrasonic soluition better.. To me it has more sparkle... Just wondering.. Why powder??

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Is a ionic cleaner and electro cleaner the same thing?? I found a ionic cleaner that uses a liquid solution (Gem Sparkle) and I''m not sure if it is ok to use in the electro cleaner.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2004 5
6.gif
8:42 PM
Author: abbott
Why powder?? My ultrasonic cleaner came with a powder.. I like the ultrasonic soluition better.. To me it has more sparkle... Just wondering.. Why powder??
I just said powder as that is what came with the unit. You mix two scoops of it with distilled water for the electro unit part. Then you fill the reservoir with distilled water as well and that is what is used to create the steam for step two.

I have no idea if ionic is the same as electro however I just read on the jewelrysupply.com website that ionic cleaning is via "electrolysis" which sounds like "electro" to me!!! And yes, it looks like Gem Sparkle would be an appropriate solution for an ionic cleaner. How do you use the Gem Sparkle? Do you use it full strength or dilute it? Do you know what is in Gem Sparkle?

Synth19: In answer to your question, you can clean as often as your ring is dirty! I clean my stuff everyday (twice a day if I'm going out again for the evening but I'm obsessive).

abbott

Shiny_Rock
I thought electro & ionic were the same. Gem Sparkle is diluted, and I have found a 32oz size that is very reasonable. I have emailed some vendors to ask them if it would work in the Salton unit. I''ll let you know their response. Abbott

ninasstar

Rough_Rock
Yes, you should be able to fit a bangle bracelet in it, no problem.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
The venders did not respond to my email regarding Gem Sparkle... Can anyone tell me if ionic and electro are the same???

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Thanks!!!! So... Can I use Gem Sparkle in my Salton Jewelry Cleaner... Or do you know of another alternative.. I just ordered the unit.. loved the fact that it has a steamer.. I can return it since it is still in transit. Help!!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
As far as electro goes, electro cleaning is used prior to the rhodium plating an item and would have nothing to do with general jewelry cleaning.

Hope this helps.
emwink.gif

Dave
Dave,
I have been told that "electro" is the same as Ionic. Basically, the Salton Jewelry Spa unit has electrical "contacts" on the basket and the tank that need to be "aligned" for proper usage (for it to do "its" thing). When you turn it on, it runs in 60 second cycles where the cleaning solution mixed with the distilled water heats up and creates a subtle "bubbling" action. That''s the best way I can describe it.

When I contacted the chemical company that made the included cleaning powder with the unit, they said that it was a "basic electro cleaner". The ingredients are:
Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium Phosphate, and Sodium Metasilicate.

Salton supposedly doesn''t sell the item any longer... at least that is what I was told when I contacted them a while back, but maybe I got someone new on the line that didn''t know the product line as this unit is being sold all over the place now and not just by "overstockers/closeouts" but also by first-run, current retail production item vendors.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
My concern is the steam part. If the unit uses the fluid from the cleaning tank to produce the steam...DO NOT use any type of cleaning solution. Distilled water only. You really need to get the particulars from Salton on how it works.

Dave
Dave,
Yes, you are correct... the only thing that is used for steaming is the distilled water. There is a reservoir separate from the "cleaning tank" that is filled with only distilled water and that is where the steam is created from. Thus, there is no cleaning solution used in the steaming process.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t return it -- we''ll find something to use in there, either Gem Sparkle or there is another cleaning powder that I was going to order that should be fine, as well (Ultradose Jewelry Cleaning Powder, www.wescottcompany.com), if Salton isn''t going to offer re-orders on the included powder.
Trust me, this unit is amazing and I''ve purchased EVERYTHING out there, short of dumping thousands of dollars into professional units.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
You guys have me sold! I''ll be purchasing the unit and joining in the quest for the illusive powder
emteeth.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dave, I understand there are cases where you would not want to use an ultrasonic e.g. for emeralds, opals, tanzanite, pearls etc. But what are the advantages of an ionic cleaner over an ultrasonic for cleaning diamonds?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Dave,
Thanks for the heads up on the Ultradose. I did get the Material Safety Data Sheet from the manufacturer and it does have very similar ingredients so I just don''t get all this stuff.
I should''ve paid more attention in science class!!!

diamondclown

Rough_Rock
How many cleanings do you get from the powder that is included? Is there an alternative cleaning machine that any of you would recommend where getting refills of the cleaner isn''t an issue.?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2004 3:52:24 PM
Author: diamondclown
How many cleanings do you get from the powder that is included? Is there an alternative cleaning machine that any of you would recommend where getting refills of the cleaner isn''t an issue.?
You put two scoops of this powder into the cleaning tank and add distilled water to the fill line. It all depends on how long one chooses to go between changing the water. You do get many cleanings on one "cycle" of powder. However, at some point one will run out! But, as we have learned here, there are other ionic cleaning products, so I would just mix those as directed with distilled water. Trust me, this machine is worth it. Cleans WAY better than my Branson Ultrasonic. I''ve purchased like every jewelry cleaner out there and nothing makes my diamond look so great.

slammie

Shiny_Rock
headlight,
Sorry if I missed it in the previous posts, but is the Salton safe for pave settings? You''ve got me interested in one!! Thanks!

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Slammie, The reason I purchased the Salton was to clean rings I could not clean in my ultrasonic.. pave, tanzanite and sapphire.

So.. Headlight, Are we in agreement that Gem Sparkle will work in the Salton?? Abbott

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I took the plunge and purchased yesterday, should be here next week
36.gif

Thanks for all the great info!

abbott

Shiny_Rock
I found 32oz of Gem Sparkle for $15.45 @ shorinternational.com... Anyone found a better price ???? Abbott

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Slammie -- I put my three eternity pave bands from OGI into there all the time. Keep in mind that I also used to put them in my Branson Ultrasonic all the time, too, so I don't know if that just means that OGI makes their stuff really well or what. I've never had a problem and although I would read that with pave you need to be careful, etc., I figured that if I had a problem I'd send it back to OGI as it means to me it wasn't made well and they'd have to fix it.

Abbot: As for the Gem Sparkle, I am going to buy some. It is an Ionic cleaner so it should be great. After my describing how the machine works, Dave also said it was an applicable solution. However, I am going to pursue it with Salton next week, again. The problem is that Salton has either many unrelated divisions or the name is franchised out or it is different companies in different countries, as there is Salton, Salton Maxim, etc. My DH is a manufacturer/importer/supplier to major retailers in the housewares industry and he has had some experience with them in the past, so I'm going to see if he can help me out (in his spare time, ha ha).

On the powder that comes with the unit, it actually gives the name of the chemical company where the powder is from. I had already done a search on them and contacted them. Problem is that the particular powder included is no longer available in anything smaller than a "drum". However, I worked with their technical person and she recommended another powder, basically the same, just a little more powerful so instead of using two scoops she advised one. This powder came in a 50 lb. pail (the size of a paint pail). So, I ordered it figuring I'd store it in the garage and have a lifetime supply of jewelry cleaner!!! They get back to me after I place the order saying that they cannot deliver "chemicals" to residences, only businesses. So, I was going to have them just ship to my DH's warehouse and then stopped myself realizing I really need to enter the "Diamond Fanatics Witness Protection Program" or something!!! Like, this was ridiculous on my part to devote so much time and energy on jewelry cleaner. If people who know me only knew, they'd have me committed!

This is how much I love this unit: I purchased THREE extra ones and they are up in my closet... I figured that at some point it would "die" and I wanted back-ups! Yes, I'm insane, I know. However, I'm really surprised at how well this unit holds up: One time I left the unit on all night by accident (not a smart thing) and thought it "burned out" the motor -- but it didn't! Another time, I was refiling the tank and reservior with the distilled water and had just "a little extra" water left in the Sparkletts Distilled Water bottle, so I sort of "topped it off", shall we say! Well, water was oozing out from everywhere and then it didn't work all the time and the control panel lights were all going crazy, etc. I thought for sure I'm messed it up this time. I couldn't even get it to turn on sometimes. This went on for the course of a weekend. But, by Monday, it was as good as new and I've never had any operational issue since! I keep thinking I'm going to have to pull out one of my surplus ones, but that hasn't been the case.

Gosh, you'd think I worked for this company or something! (If I did, however, I could get the powder!)

Keep in mind that I don't have a super, duper high quality diamond (EGL-Israel SI2, H, "Premium") so having my diamond REALLY clean, no "film", no build-up, etc. really makes the difference -- that is why I'm such a nut!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results