shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut vs. Cushion Cuts...Opinions??

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock
Hi All...

Having been on PS for about a month now, I have learned a great deal! However, I feel that I haven't learned enough to decide on my future ER. I have tried on hundreds of rings and I hate to say I loved many of them, which makes it increasingly difficult to settle on 1 specific cut, style, setting. I have driven my FF nuts. :errrr:

I DO know that I love square cuts, cushions, radiants, princesses. Growing up, I always loved princess cuts (this was in the 90's at the height of their popularity). Over a decade later, I have really fallen for all the different types of cushions. I LOVE an icy white look to my diamonds and I've been told time and again cushions are not known for their iciness. Even still, I have been shopping around for cushion cuts and at one point almost ended up with the HW Micropave Halo. However, we have put ourself on a budget to buy a home and so I doubt we will go with a high end designer.

Now, I am back to wondering about princess cuts. I have read a great deal of not so flattering opinions about princesses due to their pointy edges, etc. I thought I would start my own thread and see if anyone can offer their opinions on these 2 beautiful cuts. We are looking for a 2+ carat center stone and with the princess I would definitely go with side stones. Are cushions pricier than princess cuts? Our budget is approximately 15k. I'd also like to know which stone would be whiter, icier, face up larger, etc.

I appreciate any advice! Thank you!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would watch some of the videos and see what cut appeals most to your eye (or go look at them in person).

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
I don't know if this will help you or not, but I have had the same problem. What I ended up doing, since I loved two options, was looking at the bugdet and seeing which option gave me the most for the budget, and the prettiest cut, coverage, color and clarity. If you truly love more than one type of shape and setting (like I did, there would have been loads that I was happy with), this may work for you.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love princess cut, and have gone back to a princess cut after having a round for two years as I am a square girl. You really have two different looks. I really think you need to see these two cuts in person or a video of them both to see which ones draws you in more. I love both the chunkyness of cushion cuts. I have not seen a cushion in person, only on PS, so it really messes with my mind :wacko: But since my very first e-ring was a princess cut albeit small, I just love the definite Squareness and points. Something else to consider is whether you like the pinfire of princess cuts or chunky flashes instead?

ETA: just read Missdebby's post and for some reason I equate cushions to broader chunky flashes with larger facets than princess, but seeing her example :love: well you just gotta figure out if you like straight edge or softer lines. yes, you have to protect those sharp corners, but for me, I like straight edges and my love for settings is also all about straight edge / semi bezel or bar set so it was my preference. Figure out your preference on softer or straight lines?

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I'm no expert, and I'm sure some will chime in, but here's my 2 cents...

1st of all, I totally hear you on loving a lot of different cuts and settings. *hugs*

2nd of all, before we get into the meat of your question, let me strongly suggest you buying your stone from a vendor with great trade up policies. That way, in the future, if you feel like changing looks, you can do it with a lot more ease.

Now on to princess vs cushion. Well, princesses have nice little, "fast' sparkles and you could also get that with cushions, or choose cushions with thicker "slower" broader facets. If we're looking at a comparison between princesses and small faceted cushions... well princesses of course are all about the sharp angles and the cushion would be more of a fusion between the sharp angles in the stone meshed with a softer outline. As far as icy: I have an E antique cushion and it's as white and bright as all get out. If you want icy bright, that is available in both cuts/styles. Just stay high on the color scale. As far as the edges of the princesses - I believe you really have to protect them from chipping... so you'll be a little more hindered in the choice of settings. You're not gonna have your princess held by 4 dainty Leon Mege prongs, so to speak... so that's something to keep in mind.

You were mentioning you were thinking about a HW micropave. May I suggest checking out Leon Mege? The reason is that he does the same, or better, micro pave work for a better price. He can source you the stone as well. If you're not sure about which style you might want a quote on, I suggest calling his diamond guy Perry straight off the bat. (he's super nice and patient, btw) Tell him you were originally thinking HW. Tell him your budget. Ask him his thoughts between the two and to help you out.

I would also check out GOG's site. Jon, the owner, goes out of his way to educate, and never makes you feel like a dummy. He is also the best, IMHO, in providing info in terms of photos, reports, and videos. Just give him a call and explain where you're at.

In terms of which diamond looks better... well of course that's up to you. I think cushions are more popular now but princesses are also beautiful. Personally, if I wanted the sparkle of a princess but more options with the settings, I'd go for a beautifully small faceted cushion.

Here is an example of a bright, high color, princess-like faceted cushion.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4489/

Much luck!
Deb

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
don't go lower than F if you like the icy look, be it cushion or princess.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to make a suggestion that's not directly related, but... leave it to your future fiancé.

I know, I know. You are invested in this ring and want to be involved. And I'm a hypocrite, to boot, since I picked out my own e-ring.

But I worry that at this point you would be better off telling him that you prefer A, B, or C and care about X, Y, and Z. Then send him to a few trusted sources (GOG, Leon, ERD) and have him work with them. I have no doubt that they will come up with something beautiful and you will LOVE IT.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
The iciness of a diamond is a function of its body color, not its cut, so I would take that out of the equation. Just stick to F or better color and you are good to go, whatever cut you choose.

Unless you have a different definition of "iciness"...

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your posts everyone!

I have actually tried on hundreds of rings in my search for the perfect ER. In Los Angeles there is an abundance of jewelry shops with eager sales people. So I have had a lot of fun testing out different looks. I think that is where my dilemma lies, over saturation of choices! I'm happy to have at least narrowed down to square cuts! But from there, I am lost. I love them all!

I like modern stones/settings and I believe that may be one reason a princess cut stone is still in the running. Although beautiful, I myself am not looking for an antique, vintage looking stone or setting.

I agree that I need to stay in the D E F (maybe G) in order to get the look I prefer. It has just been my experience that many of the cushions I have tried on, especially with the larger facets, tend to have more of a soft glow as opposed to icy whiteness. I always figured most cushions are typically cut with an antique look in mind, whereas the other squarish stones (princess, radiants, square emeralds, asschers) are more modern looking?

I am also torn between where to source my diamond from. I have heard wonderful things about both Leon Mege and GOG. As far as setting, we would definitely go with Leon if have our ring custom made!

What type of cushion cuts would you guys recommend in the modern cushions? Cushion brilliant, h&a?

Thanks!

billyboo

Rough_Rock
When I used to cut gemstones years ago(colored) the princess cut we used was for rough that was just a little to thin for another cut. Helped save weight and made cutting some rough possible. Of course, that was non-diamond stones.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
there are plenty of cushions with modern faceting patterns, like the crushed ice HW ones you have looked at...I would look in person or on the videos to help you narrow down your choices. just get what appeals most to your eye

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock
SLG:

I have actually looked in person a great deal and I love all square cuts, minus the antique looking cushions. I was just trying to get opinions on here as to what you guys thought about the 2 mentioned cuts and get some pros and cons of each since visually I find many different cuts appealing.

digitaldevo

Rough_Rock
Trade
I love both Princess and Cushions. All depends. An every day piece that will get worn hardly combined with a stone that is fragile as in prone to fractures, can make for s bad ending, lol. But, with some simply protective measures like a setting that has nice protective prongs guarding those corners, there shouldn't be any problems. Jen is really hard on her rings and her engagement ring is a princess cut and she has ripped the prongs off one time due to catching it on the side of a sharp stainless steel table corner and the diamond was protected by the prongs. Recently she just caught it on some machine and ripped another prong, peeled it right back onto the head, lol. But the diamond is once again perfectly fine. ;-). So, as long as use a proper head on the ring that can add some protection to the corners, a princess is fine IMO.

But I too love cushions, lol. Especially some of these fancier cushion type cuts now.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
missydebby said:
Here is an example of a bright, high color, princess-like faceted cushion.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4489/
Deb

Point on the branded cushette cut -- it comes with a GCAL cert (which is part of the cushette branding) which is a consumer certificate. (If you click on the "AGS Lab Report" link, you get a GCAL cert, not an AGS cert). If purchasing a GCAL cert diamond, I would also ask for a GIA or AGS cert to be done (and pay for it myself if necessary).

If (for example), the cert comes back 2 colors lower or 2 clarity grades lower, then that would be a basis for reevaluating the price on the diamond. You don't want to pay for an E and get a G or lower color, right?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results