shape
carat
color
clarity

The shocking final diamond choice I gave to my Fiance which one would you pick?

Which One Would You Choose And Why?

• I choose #2

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I choose stone #2 it is such a unique cut and throws off rainbow colors.

• 4. I think #1 will look better in a Harry Winston micropave halo so I choose #1

• I choose #1

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Dear All,

My Fiance and I drove to beautiful Burlington Vermont over the weekend to meet with an apparaiser who could see us on a Saturday.
We had beautiful weather for a change and took the Car Ferry across from Plattsburgh which was really enjoyable. Burlington is a very beautiful, rich in vegetation and everyone in the small town was delightfully friendly.
I had two stones delivered from New York and without saying anything I let her comment on them and give her opinion of which one liked better, she left the final decision up to me.
I had already purchased the GOG stone and the other one was there only on loan.

Stone #1

I found this one myself by doing a BN search and then after sending Mark at ERD the certificate had him order it from the current owner as he had specialized knowledge of this cuttor and the history with these square modern cushions cuts.
Shockingly it is NOT a chunky faceted cushion brilliant!! It is a modern faceted cushion brilliant and although the 8 pavillion main facets are thicker than a round and it displays the same star pattern of hearts and arrows and the stone has no culet.
Mark who has gotten to know me very well over the last month was very surprised I found this stone and wanted him to send it for viewing.
Cushion Brilliant 7.08mm 7.04mm 4.67mm
1.59Ct H VS1
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to thick faceted
Table: 59%
Depth: 66.3%
Fluorescence: None

Stone #2

I had been waiting for over a month for this stone to finally be cut and it was very close to my ideal size. I wanted a little bigger but I was very excited to see one of these in person.

GOG Signature Old Mine Brilliant (Old Mine Cut Cushion)
6.23mm 6.25mm 3.97mm
1.15Ct H Si1
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Very Thin Faceted to Medium
Table: 53%
Depth: 63.6%
Culet: Large
Fluorescned: Faint
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6173

Her Comments:

1) Side by the side stone #1 is a lot bigger but both are a nice size.
2) Stone #1 is very bright and has a WOW factor I prefer its size and it sparkles a lot more.
3) Stone #2 has a very unique cut and is very appealing to the eye I prefer its unique cut.
4) Side by Side I prefer the almost perfect square shape of #1 with slight rounded corners to the more pillowy shape of #2.
5) Face down in front of a white background Stone #2 has a noticeable yellow tinge to it as compared to stone #1.
6) Which stone will be a better fit with a HW micropave halo design I am not sure. I want either stone to standout in the ring.

My Thoughts Silently(Him):

1)The Kozibe Effect in real life is not as cool as I thought it would be. At some angles it just looks like holes in the diamond or areas of leakage.
2) I love the rainbow of colours coming from stone #2.
3) The reflections under the table of stone #2 are spectacular and really appeal to my eye. This diamond is very unique.
4) Stone #2 does not seem nearly as bright as Stone #1 and due to its size the incredible reflections under the table can only be viewed at very close distances whereas stone #1 is very noticeable even from farther away.
5) I really wish I would have been able to see stone #2 in a larger size
6) I am a bit surprised that stone #2 had more warmth than the appraisors master I color stone and a lot more warmth than stone #1. How can GIA have misgraded this stone by 1.5 color grades?
7) Stone #1 costs twice that of stone #2 but this is only a minor consideration to me.
8) I cannot keep Ms. ChunkyCushionLover Waiting Any Longer and both families on either side are pushing for a quick proposal and must decide on one of these two stones very quickly.
9) Both are are amazingly bright, unique stones and the facets are much more interesting incomparison with two round brilliants the appraisor had in his office.
I am going to keep you all in suspense a day or two so I can see some unbiased poll votes and opinions. These are two of the most incredible cut diamonds I have seen and this was not an easy decision.
I will post the conclusion by mid week.

Pictures of both are in the posts below.

Regards,
CCL

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Stone #2. I don't have any centred pictures under the microscope unfortunately. He only took pictures while looking for inclusions.

stone2faceup.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Stone #2 Here is the picture from the GOG website.

gogcushionh115.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Well,
if I were going just on your photos and descriptions it may be
harder. They look like quite different style cushions (as I''m sure you know).

Of course, I voted for the GOG one as I know how much delight mine brings me
everyday in all different lighting, and believe they''re def. the epitome of chunky cushions.

But at end of day, my advice would be to get what the girl likes better.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is for the chunky cushion.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I know it''s counter-intuitive to tell a chunky cushion lover this, but when you really objectively look at MsCCL''s comments, it seems clear to me that she prefers the first stone. Most of the positive comments were about it, with a bit of lip service paid to the second one. I could misinterpret those thoughts, but to me it seems like she''s trying to push you towards #1 in a subtle manner.

I think they''re both gorgeous.
9.gif

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
I voted for the GOG chunky cushion but I''m biased.
2.gif

In my honest opinion, cushion 1 looks really beautiful and should goes well with HW micropave halo. After all, it''s what your girl prefers that matters.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
If I would find myself in the situation buying a stone for MYSELF, I''d go with #2. It''s a beauty.
But since you are buying a ring for your fiance to wear daily, I''d value what she would want ( granted that
money is not an obejct, as you confirmed ) before what I would want. Since she saw both and keeps pointing
toward #1, I would go with #1.

I lived in Burlington VT for 3 years, right on Church street, I assume that''s where you went. Which store?
Since I moved away from Ben and Jerry''s, my waist line has shrunk hehe.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
She likes the size, color, shape, brightness and sparkles of number 1.
she likes the cut of number 2.

Even though i love GOG's new cushions, it's pretty obvious she prefers the first stone.

eta: Since she's seen both, get the one she likes, not the one we, or you prefer. Remember, she's the one that's going to be wearing it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both are beautiful but it seems she prefers #1 ... and since she''ll be the one looking at it more often, I''d say pick #1 so she''ll be over-the-moon delighted.

Think you made gorgeous choices though! Personally I might lean toward #2 for budgetary reasons & because its more quirky & unique which appeals to me ... but when you mentioned the warmth I started to worry. That''s the thing about Round Brilliant & Cushion Brilliant & other Brilliant Brilliant cuts (#1) -- they do mask warmth better than quirky/cook OMC type cuts. Did *you* compare the two stones pavilion side up against white paper? Or just face up? It would be weird to be so off on grading ...

Fun test! Can''t wait to see which you chose & hopefully see the finished ring pix SOON!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It seems 1 has the most going for it, as far as she is concerened. And, when I read where she said it had the WOW factor, that''s really what sold me on which she should get. We all want a stone that makes us go wow, and it seems that 1 does that for her. So I voted one.
5.gif

And I just want to aplologize to you CCL. I had never read a post of yours (I doubt I read them all) that hinted at your gender, and I erroneously referred to you as "she" in another thread yesterday. Really sorry about that!!
40.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m gonna stick with the majority here. It''s pretty clear that she likes #1. There have been too many instances of the girl stating a clear preference and the guy ignoring it and doing his own thing. Then they come here saying "I don''t love my ring," and sometimes there are problems for the relationship...just not a great way to start an engagement. As for the chunky cushion, since she likes the cut, you could always get her one in a higher color for a RHR or pendant later on.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I didn''t read properly that she seems to prefer #1, that being the case I will change my vote and say get her the one she likes best.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 7:25:37 AM
Author: Amethyste
If I would find myself in the situation buying a stone for MYSELF, I''d go with #2. It''s a beauty.
But since you are buying a ring for your fiance to wear daily, I''d value what she would want ( granted that
money is not an obejct, as you confirmed ) before what I would want. Since she saw both and keeps pointing
toward #1, I would go with #1.
Ditto this.

As far as color, since stones are graded face down, I would guess the difference you are seeing is in the cutting style. The chunky GOG is cut for performance, but may trap a little more color due to the faceting. Maybe Jon will be along later to let us know his impressions.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hi, CCL,
Here are my thoughts:
1) Burlington, VT is gorgeous. I''d relocate there in a heartbeat. There used to be a great Thai restaurant right off the main drag.
2) Silly rabbit, given the choice, no woman will pick 1.0 over 1.50 (I''m talking normal curve here, not outliers).
3) I think you had the expectation that you''d love the GOG cushion and were surprised that while it is "unique" you (and your GF) liked the 1st stone better in terms of performance and color.
4) "Unique" is the way you describe something that catches your eye, but does not, in the way you and your GF are using "unique," bode well for an engagement ring that she will wear hopefully for your life together. In this case, I''d say maybe it means that she appreciates its beauty but can''t see herself wearing it (but would love it on her best friend, e.g.).
5) Ditto, Ellen: "Wow" is a reaction that I think any man would want to hear from his GF (get your minds out of the gutter, folks!) with respect to an engagement diamond.
6) Both will look stunning in a HW halo.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 9:30:57 AM
Author: sarap333
Hi, CCL,
Here are my thoughts:
1) Burlington, VT is gorgeous. I''d relocate there in a heartbeat. There used to be a great Thai restaurant right off the main drag.
2) Silly rabbit, given the choice, no woman will pick 1.0 over 1.50 (I''m talking normal curve here, not outliers).
3) I think you had the expectation that you''d love the GOG cushion and were surprised that while it is ''unique'' you (and your GF) liked the 1st stone better in terms of performance and color.
4) ''Unique'' is the way you describe something that catches your eye, but does not, in the way you and your GF are using ''unique,'' bode well for an engagement ring that she will wear hopefully for your life together. In this case, I''d say maybe it means that she appreciates its beauty but can''t see herself wearing it (but would love it on her best friend, e.g.).
5) Ditto, Ellen: ''Wow'' is a reaction that I think any man would want to hear from his GF (get your minds out of the gutter, folks!) with respect to an engagement diamond.
6) Both will look stunning in a HW halo.
lol.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I admit I went for size! Both are gorgeous but I liked BIGGER!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
IMHO, she showed a preference for #1. I think you should get that one for her since for her it has the "WOW" factor.
31.gif

freefly

Shiny_Rock
From what you wrote, it sounds like you had already purchased the chunky cushion, but from what she says, it sounds like she liked the other one better. That being said, I would get her the one she likes better. Or if she likes the chunky cushion but likes the bigger size, can GOG get you a larger one?

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I would take #1...and your future fiance like the sz better too...so go for it!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I prefer stone #1, and since your fi likes it too, that''s the one you should pick.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
More sparkles, whiter, bigger,brighter....I don''t care how unique the other choice is, #1 all the way.

Thanks for the in depth comparison of both cuts. I''ve been longing after one of the new GOG cuts but I don''t think I *have* to have one. I tend to be a little color sensitive and I think an antique cut might not be for me. I have however, always loved the shape of cushions especially more square-ish ones.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I voted for stone #1. If it has the WOW factor and your GF loves it, you have your answer
2.gif

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, it seems to me by your comments you really prefer #1...and even though it is different that what you originally thought you wanted, if it speaks to you, then it speaks to you!

I''m gonna get a bit crazy and throw one more in the mix...my reason for this is that it reminds me of stone #1 a lot, is a little larger, performs really well (I''ve seen it on many videos), and it is at GOG where your $$ already is...
1.61 I VS2 at GOG
You may have already looked at this one and passed, but if not, I thought I''d post it cuz it reminds me of #1, but with a little more chunkiness. Hope that''s okay!!
6.gif

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
#1 for two reasons.

1. Your gf seems to be drawn to that stone and sounds like she definitely prefers it.
2. I think it will look better in the HW micro-pave halo setting sine you can detect warmth in #2. The warmth will be more evident in a halo setting next to other sidestones, HOWEVER if the warmth doesn''t bother you then it shouldn''t be a problem.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
No.1 for me.

Why?
i) Bigger. (Size still matters to many women)
31.gif

ii) imo, HW halo will complement no.1's personality better than it will no.2.
iii) The WOW factor. I'm not knocking no.2 in any way BUT no. 1 is in a different league altogether; the WOW factor came across even from this one pic.

Yeah, only downside is it costs twice more. Honestly I don't think this is a fair comparison to make.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results