shape
carat
color
clarity

How much should I spend on an engagement diamond?

DaveMutant

Rough_Rock
I'm aware that this is a stupid question and that it warrants responses such as: how much can you afford, how much do you want to show your love etc. however, it'd be nice to get a rough estimate of how much people normally spend.

I understand that everyone's circumstances are different. I'm employed, earning a modest salary (not a super high salary tbh). I'd obviously love to be able to spend tens of thousands but realistically I don't think that's possible.

My question has mainly come from discussing how much to spend with my partner. She'd obviously love a huge rock, and I'd love to give her one, but at what point am I just spending to show off? I'd like to get something above average but I'd rather not keep pushing the budget higher and higher because I'm imagining that that's what people *should* spend.

How much is an average amount to spend on a diamond for an engagement ring?

$4k? $6k? $8k? $12k $More?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Your right, your going to get various responses. I've heard that the average size diamond engagement ring in the US is under .5ct. And the 'under a ct' thread in our show me the bling forum is one of the largest on pricescope so that gives you an idea of what the average consumer is purchasing.

However like you said there are many variables. If I were you I'd take a look around at what your gf's friends are wearing for sizes or maybe ask you friends what size they purchased for their wives or gf's, I think that will give you a clearer idea of what your gf might be expecting.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DaveMutant|1335040669|3177310 said:
I'm aware that this is a stupid question and that it warrants responses such as: how much can you afford, how much do you want to show your love etc. however, it'd be nice to get a rough estimate of how much people normally spend.

I understand that everyone's circumstances are different. I'm employed, earning a modest salary (not a super high salary tbh). I'd obviously love to be able to spend tens of thousands but realistically I don't think that's possible.

My question has mainly come from discussing how much to spend with my partner. She'd obviously love a huge rock, and I'd love to give her one, but at what point am I just spending to show off? I'd like to get something above average but I'd rather not keep pushing the budget higher and higher because I'm imagining that that's what people *should* spend.

How much is an average amount to spend on a diamond for an engagement ring?

$4k? $6k? $8k? $12k $More?
here on PS the avg is $7600
the U.S. avg is $3600

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
No one can answer this question for you. You need to figuire out what you feel comfortable spending. I love a diamond as much as the next gal but there is more important things in life than buying a diamond. You should not spend more than what your comfortable with because there are more important costs in life; house, children, etc. You can always upgrade down the road. Is there a particular style she likes?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's no way that's correct, DF and you know it! The average size engagement ring in the US is under 1/2 carat. People are not spending $3,600 on an under 1/2 carat ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely agree with Christina and see what her close friends or sisters wear. No one is going to advise you to get into major debt to keep up with others, but there is something to be said for fitting in with one's social circle. She doesn't have to have the biggest diamond but I'd try to avoid having the smallest. So if most of her friends have half carat solitaires, you'll be looking at a smaller budget! But if they have 2 ct. diamonds, then you're in trouble! lol!

Seriously, get an idea about that and then come back and we'll help you find something that fits in with the social circle AND your budget! :bigsmile: And size appearance can be increased with the setting. But you do need her to show you what kind of settings she likes.

DaveMutant

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies guys, it's really helpful. We were thinking of going for something that's around 1 carat (maybe a little larger), but obviously we'd like a nice cut and for it to be pretty clear. I think we're also looking at a Princess / Solitaire combo.

Her sister has a 1.2 carat and it looks really impressive :)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
DaveMutant|1335041770|3177323 said:
Thanks for your replies guys, it's really helpful. We were thinking of going for something that's around 1 carat (maybe a little larger), but obviously we'd like a nice cut and for it to be pretty clear. I think we're also looking at a Princess / Solitaire combo.

Her sister has a 1.2 carat and it looks really impressive :)
I think a 1ct is a great size for an engagement ring, and I think it's what most girls hope for but don't expect. Will your gf be shopping with you or are you going to surprise her?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect! Is the sister's ring a round or princess cut? Just asking because a round usually has a larger diameter. That is great she wants a solitaire because you can put most of the money in the diamond! (I do have to warn you, though, that diamond prices went up like crazy last year, so they are pretty high.)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spend any amount you want to spend.

Screw DeBeers, people vary.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I sometimes like to go to the Blue Nile page to check out recent ring purchases (http://www.bluenile.com/engagement-rings/recently-purchased-engagement-rings?track=ta). I think it gives a reasonable idea of what people are buying and what they're getting for their $$$.

I know a lot on PS prefer other vendors because of the availability of stats and images to help figure out which diamond is best, but this may help you figure out what kind of budget you want to set.

DaveMutant

Rough_Rock
We're shopping together, it'd be the worst thing in the world to get her a big surprise and find out that she doesn't like it. Her sister's is also a princess cut so that gives a good comparison.

I'll have a look at BlueNile - thanks!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
DaveMutant|1335042781|3177334 said:
We're shopping together, it'd be the worst thing in the world to get her a big surprise and find out that she doesn't like it. Her sister's is also a princess cut so that gives a good comparison.

I think this is an excellent idea! Some of us have been dreaming about what our engagement rings would like almost from the time we could walk. ;))

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How often does she see her sister? I understand falling in love with an item and your partner should love her ring, but I'd be weary of getting the same thing that her sister has. Most of my social circle has 1/2 carat rounds, but we all managed different sidestones - baguettes, rounds, and pears. Of course, her sister may have a very different setting you're looking at solitaires! Just throwing that out there.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

DaveMutant

Rough_Rock
Rhea|1335043776|3177348 said:
How often does she see her sister? I understand falling in love with an item and your partner should love her ring, but I'd be weary of getting the same thing that her sister has. Most of my social circle has 1/2 carat rounds, but we all managed different sidestones - baguettes, rounds, and pears. Of course, her sister may have a very different setting you're looking at solitaires! Just throwing that out there.

She doesn't see her sister that often, but it'd still be nice to have something unique (although I know that all diamonds are unique). The Quadex looks very pretty, is there a difference in how much light it gives back compared to the Princess? or is it just a different look?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
DaveMutant|1335044618|3177355 said:

She doesn't see her sister that often, but it'd still be nice to have something unique (although I know that all diamonds are unique). The Quadex looks very pretty, is there a difference in how much light it gives back compared to the Princess? or is it just a different look?

I believe it's cut to give opitmal light return so I think it would be more bright and blingy than a traditional princess. I'm not a princess cut expert and there are better people than me to answer that question though. Someone will chime in soon enough though. Good Old Gold has a similar line, I'll post you a link so you can see theirs as well, if it's just the square shape that she's after then she may love the Octavia asscher, I know they are a fireball!!! :love: :love: :love: I'll post links for both. :))

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I suggest this 1.09 ct G VVS1 Crafted by Infinity super ideal princess. This princess will out sparkle every other princess in the room, just like your lady. Love the light return (see the red X in the middle and along the edges). A clear, colorless sparkly stone. Yum!

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=112

Good luck choosing. I think you are looking at a carat rock at least.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

DaveMutant

Rough_Rock
Fly Girl|1335045057|3177368 said:
I suggest this 1.09 ct G VVS1 Crafted by Infinity super ideal princess. This princess will out sparkle every other princess in the room, just like your lady. Love the light return (see the red X in the middle and along the edges). A clear, colorless sparkly stone. Yum!

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=112

I'm not exactly what I'm looking at in terms of the pictures - hard for me to translate what rocks look beautiful from the heavily zoomed images but the X in the middle of that ones looks pretty cool!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd highly suggest investigating the Octavia, if that's in your budget. Kenny posted a thread of his... and ... OMG!!!! that stone is TDF! If I'm able, I'll search and find it, but if you search, KENNY - and octavia (a few years ago) you'll find his diamond. Your future FI will be the talk of the town if that was your stone!

Do you watch The Office? Michael Scott thought that it was 2 years salary when he proposed to Holly!! Yeah, baby! There's a stone I'd love to have!! tee hee!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
DaveMutant|1335044618|3177355 said:

I have a Princess of Hearts - same as the Quadex. I compared it in lighting to a well cut regular princess that was more than double it's size. Side by side you see a size difference, but when it's one someone's finger my Princess of Hearts BLEW away the princess with it's huge blings of fire. This cut more approximates the large flashes from a super sparkly round than the smaller pinpoints of light on a princess. Small sidestones adds a nice touch of finger coverage since the Quadex or Princess of Hearts 1 carat will be smaller than a 1.2 princess -plus it'll just be more "different" than her sisters.

Side stones:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/lucy-18k-white-gold-5479w18

Some ideas with side stones:
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/styles?category=ER&style=3+Stone&price=1000-2000&sort_by=price%3Adesc&per_page=72

Another stone option:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9136/

So the stone would be around $5500 plus the ring about $2000 - $7500 - minus any pricescope discounts. The Princess of Hearts is $4400 and you can find a simple setting for $500 - $1500 - so looking at $5-6k. Does that sound like a reasonable budget you can work with?

Where do you guys live? Perhaps you're near one of the recommended PS vendors and can try stuff on in person.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
DaveMutant|1335045560|3177377 said:
Fly Girl|1335045057|3177368 said:

I'm not exactly what I'm looking at in terms of the pictures - hard for me to translate what rocks look beautiful from the heavily zoomed images but the X in the middle of that ones looks pretty cool!
You will get a lot of light return and sparkle from this diamond. I am a round brilliant girl myself, and this particular princess line is the only princess that I liked in person. Yes, you do need to see diamonds in person to begin to get a feel for how much they can vary in appearance. Then you can appreciate what these pictures are telling you about the stone. But, a few things to help you weed out diamonds are ones that are not bright in dim light and ones that lose their sparkle when they are not in the bright lights of the jewelry store.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DaveMutant|1335042781|3177334 said:

yup,i'd agree.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think it all depends on what her friends have and the national averages don't matter. A second hand ring represents great value - if I knew what I know now ... I would have bought second hand.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1335041364|3177317 said:
There's no way that's correct, DF and you know it! The average size engagement ring in the US is under 1/2 carat. People are not spending $3,600 on an under 1/2 carat ring.
more like .76ct.. ;))
the PS avg is 1.10ct.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results