shape
carat
color
clarity

EXPERTS! I do NEED Help!!! 1.3 ct round

yeleaves

Rough_Rock
Dear experts,
I am new to the Forum. Need advise for this diamond, a local jewelry sales selected for me. Thanks in advance.
HCA is 1.9 within range.
My concern is about the twinning wisps. Looks bad on GIA report. Are twinning wisp severe inclusions? Will those affect the brilliance?
diamonds.jpg
download__1_.jpgdownload_21.jpg
hca_2.jpg
My budget is not beyond $12,000, looking for a 1.3 ct, E/F color, SI1 to VS1, excellent in cut, polish, symmetry, none florescence. Is that possible to find a better one?

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
Snowdrop13|1487748317|4132040 said:
That one is cut too deep, usually should be 62.3 or less.

Here's a superideal cut with a fantastic upgrade policy:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3766237.htm

I'm following this thread and hoping for more advice as well. I've read a good bit about HCA, but am still confused. The stone OP posted scored within range for further investigation. But you're mentioning its depth is a problem despite the good score. Thanks!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alybetter|1487756005|4132052 said:

I'm following this thread and hoping for more advice as well. I've read a good bit about HCA, but am still confused. The stone OP posted scored within range for further investigation. But you're mentioning its depth is a problem despite the good score. Thanks!

Good ranges to stay in:

Crown 34-35
Pavilion 40.6-40.9
Depth no greater than 62.3
Table 55-57

When it stone is too deep, it can face up smaller than its carat weight. Depending on other stats of the diamond, there can be light leakage as well.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

An ACA is a Super Ideal Stone, AGS000, Hearts and Arrow, VS2, hits the 7mm point, plus its a $1k below your budget. A great choice!

For Additional Twinning Wisp, Pinpoints, etc...you need to have a gemologist view the stone and make sure the inclusions have
no affect on the brilliance of the stone.

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
MissGotRocks|1487764024|4132061 said:

Good ranges to stay in:

Crown 34-35
Pavilion 40.6-40.9
Table 55-57

When it stone is too deep, it can face up smaller than its carat weight. Depending on other stats of the diamond, there can be light leakage as well.

For sure, I'm familiar with the ranges. I've recently bought an RB and have been studying. What I didn't understand was how OP's diamond could score so well on the HCA yet still be too deep. I understand the HCA only factors in certain variables, and leaves out others, but depth value is one that HCA does include. That's what's confusing me :)

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Alybetter|1487782942|4132188 said:

Good ranges to stay in:

Crown 34-35
Pavilion 40.6-40.9
Table 55-57

For sure, I'm familiar with the ranges. I've recently bought an RB and have been studying. What I didn't understand was how OP's diamond could score so well on the HCA yet still be too deep. I understand the HCA only factors in certain variables, and leaves out others, but depth value is one that HCA does include. That's what's confusing me :)

The HCA isn't a stone chooser, it's only to help you weed out the really crummy ones. For stones that "need investigation" the investigation part lies in the performance imagery.

The posted stone is a little deep, but maybe could work with the pavilion angle, though technically it does face up a little small for its carat weight. The problem here is more the 36 crown, and also they give a hearts and arrows image (symmetry) which is NOT performance imagery. You'd need an ASET image or idealscope to look at how the 36 crown is working out with that pavilion angle and luckily the lower girdle facets are 80% which I think might also help in a top heavy diamond. (it's what I'd want to do with that crown and pavilion combination...)

But the other stone listed, if they are open to online shopping is great!

yeleaves

Rough_Rock

Snowdrop13, thanks for your reply.
So, come to the stone I post, you though the cutting is the primary which I need to reconsider but instead of the twinning wisps, right?
How do you think this one as one you sent is a little bit beyond my budget https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.31-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-872701???

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Twinning wisp is something that I would definitely avoid, I would abstain from large feather inclusion too. I wouldn't buy this particular diamond.

yeleaves

Rough_Rock
EvaEvans|1487818159|4132419 said:
Twinning wisp is something that I would definitely avoid, I would abstain from large feather inclusion too. I wouldn't buy this particular diamond.

Thanks,EvaEvans!
I am worried about those twinning wisp as well. :((

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeleaves|1487815015|4132391 said:
Snowdrop13, thanks for your reply.
So, come to the stone I post, you though the cutting is the primary which I need to reconsider but instead of the twinning wisps, right?
How do you think this one as one you sent is a little bit beyond my budget https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...arat-f-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-872701?

This looks like a lovely stone, AGS 000 and within your colour/clarity preferences!

Twinning wisps are not always "bad" and I'm pretty sure will be OK in a VS1 or VS2 diamond. Each stone would be best evaluated in person. There are lots of thread discussions about them, here's one for interest-

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/twinning-wisp-how-exactly-does-it-affect-brilliance.199865/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/twinning-wisp-how-exactly-does-it-affect-brilliance.199865/[/URL]

yeleaves

Rough_Rock
bunnycat|1487783251|4132192 said:
Alybetter|1487782942|4132188 said:

Good ranges to stay in:

Crown 34-35
Pavilion 40.6-40.9
Table 55-57

The HCA isn't a stone chooser, it's only to help you weed out the really crummy ones. For stones that "need investigation" the investigation part lies in the performance imagery.

The posted stone is a little deep, but maybe could work with the pavilion angle, though technically it does face up a little small for its carat weight. The problem here is more the 36 crown, and also they give a hearts and arrows image (symmetry) which is NOT performance imagery. You'd need an ASET image or idealscope to look at how the 36 crown is working out with that pavilion angle and luckily the lower girdle facets are 80% which I think might also help in a top heavy diamond. (it's what I'd want to do with that crown and pavilion combination...)

But the other stone listed, if they are open to online shopping is great!

Hi everyone, very much appreciated. I got the ASET and Idealscope pics. And sales told me thin twining wisps will not affect the brillance.
Any thoughts? Thanks

ideal.jpgaset__1_.jpg

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not liking that dull grey/white area showing up on IS and ASET under the table at around 10 o'clock. :S

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
bmfang|1488003685|4133391 said:
Not liking that dull grey/white area showing up on IS and ASET under the table at around 10 o'clock. :S

Ther was a discussion about something similar in a recent thread, and it was explained by Garry, that it had to do with some of the angles on a couple of pavilion facets and it didn't seem like a big deal. Will have to search for the thread.

ETA- here's the thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-needed-on-idealscope.228339/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-needed-on-idealscope.228339/[/URL]

yeleaves

Rough_Rock
Snowdrop13|1488002683|4133385 said:
Is this the JA stone that you posted above?
no. That's from a B&M store.
I heard JA would not provide ASET image.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeleaves|1488063157|4133626 said:
Snowdrop13|1488002683|4133385 said:
Is this the JA stone that you posted above?
no. That's from a B&M store.
I heard JA would not provide ASET image.

If the stone is local to the NY area then JA can usually provide an idealscope/aset. If the stone is overseas, then no.

Twining Wisp...in general a few twining wisp are not a problem. When they are the grade making inclusion (first one listed in the
list of inclusion) combined with a lower clarity (SI1 or lower) then they could be an issue . Also can be an issue when it says "Additional
twinning wisp not shown." We used to think twinning wisp in anything VS2 and above were not an issue but we had a poster
who had to return a stone (VS2 I believe) not to long ago due to twinning wisp.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:shock:
bunnycat|1488030626|4133445 said:
bmfang|1488003685|4133391 said:

Ther was a discussion about something similar in a recent thread, and it was explained by Garry, that it had to do with some of the angles on a couple of pavilion facets and it didn't seem like a big deal. Will have to search for the thread.

ETA- here's the thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-needed-on-idealscope.228339/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-needed-on-idealscope.228339/[/URL]

Interesting thread. Learnt something new this morning. The issue for me is that if the OP is willing to stump up a premium price for this stone, they should be getting a stone that has a premium cut. And if this is a premium cut at a B&M, if they can get a super ideal cut stone at WF, BGD, VC, HPD, etc at a cheaper price, the choice is clear (at least to me).

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a professional in the trade I may not comment on specific diamonds.

I would like to say though, that often twinning wisps are some of my favorite inclusions. So long as the inclusions are clear colorless crystals, they tend to make the grading report look scary like a nightmare, drive the price down out of the stratosphere, yet affect the beauty not at all. In short, twining wisps can be your friend!

Without having the diamond in front of you to see with YOUR eyes, you can not know for sure. Since you mention that cutting is one of your primary concerns, I recommend that you go to many of the educational posts that can be found on this forum and become more educated on what the images through the ideal-Scope, the ASET and the Hearts and arrows viewers look like. Then you will be better able to make determinations as to whether or not the cutting is close to what will make YOUR eyes happy in real life.

Just my thoughts on a cold Sunday morning in Boise.

Wink

yeleaves

Rough_Rock
Wink|1488120785|4133848 said:
As a professional in the trade I may not comment on specific diamonds.

I would like to say though, that often twinning wisps are some of my favorite inclusions. So long as the inclusions are clear colorless crystals, they tend to make the grading report look scary like a nightmare, drive the price down out of the stratosphere, yet affect the beauty not at all. In short, twining wisps can be your friend!

Without having the diamond in front of you to see with YOUR eyes, you can not know for sure. Since you mention that cutting is one of your primary concerns, I recommend that you go to many of the educational posts that can be found on this forum and become more educated on what the images through the ideal-Scope, the ASET and the Hearts and arrows viewers look like. Then you will be better able to make determinations as to whether or not the cutting is close to what will make YOUR eyes happy in real life.

Just my thoughts on a cold Sunday morning in Boise.

Wink

Thanks for your advice, Wink.
The twining wisps do scare me. But I refused this one as the price is not beautiful.
Actually, to me as a new buyer, I could not see any problems from the ASET and ideal scope images from this one.
I will keep browsing posts to educate myself , any threads you recommend?
Same cold in Chicago

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results