shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling madelise!

audball

Ideal_Rock
In the interst of stopping the threadjacking of sweetpeababycorn's thread...I'll move our discussion over here!

(only share if you feel comfortable doing so...)
Where do you go to school/where are you looking to go? What year in your undergrad are you?

My school (University of South Florida) had a concentration for the Bachelor's degree in "LSH" for Language, Speech, and Hearing. I've heard some schools have a concentration in just Hearing which I was always so jealous of! My program had 16 major courses (outside of General Education requirements) and only 3 of those 16 were Hearing focused. I really only count 2 of them as the third was Aural Rehabilitiation which is really Speech Therapy on hearing imparied individuals.

I definitely wonder sometimes if I made the right choice, but ulitmately, I'm good at my job, I'm a valued team player, and I've managed to make a great living the last several years while getting another degree that will only advance me further for $0. So it's hard to 'regret' it, but I do often wonder as I would be finishing year 3 of the AuD program now had I gone through with it.

We also had another class that was a state requirement that was essentially all about the clinical processes and we had required intern/clinic/shadowing hours to do. I did all of mine in the Hearing clinic and learned so much about cochlear implants and hearing aids, it was a pretty awesome experience.

:)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey! Thanks for moving the chat, lol. I really wish PS had private messaging, I feel as if :sick: omg, we've had now 50 viewers/lurkers :-o , who the heck is out there! Since this is getting more personal! And I'm the one always reminding people here in LIW to not put personal stuff out there with complaints of their SO's!

I am attending uni. I don't want to place exactly which, but that narrows it to quite a very limited amount ;-) I'm working on my "junior" year, but technically, I'm a "super junior", considering all my switching of majors, and age. Our program is a BA, not a BS program (I think we're only short 1 class here that would make us qualified for a Bachelors of "Science", which sounds SO MUCH more schnazzy than "ART"!), and it's called Communication Disorders, and majority of it is geared towards SLP grad prep. There is a small %, I would say about 10 in each class of 30-40 students that are going as prep for audiology, though. Hah, we only have 4 classes that are hearing based classes!

I'm 99% sure I'll be heading towards applying for SLP programs. It's a dream of mine to work alongside a client for longterm, and to actually watch the progress I help create, and to get to "know" them and possibly their families. I've had conversations with BSN/RN friends of mine who work in particular wings of hospitals that feel sad when their patient leaves to another floor, because they never know what happened, or get to see the end result of their work. They tell me they feel under appreciated because of this, since their clients don't see them for longterm, and thus don't credit their progress to them. I can see that point of view, and it's these conversations that really have sparked a "YES! I'M STICKING TO THIS" deep within me.

Are you FL based? How is Nova's 'reputation' there? The advisors here are trying to push us to be open to going to out of state grad programs since there is so much competition instate. I'm prepping "backup" schools, and "back-backup" schools lists so I stay motivated and not discouraged. Nova has an online (? If I'm recalling the right school! I'm all :errrr: confused about all this :lol:) program, and I was advised that, so far, to date, SLP/AuD professions are not dis.. anomia anomia!! what's the word. They're not looking down/feeling as if online programs are "less than" yet, since they're still ASHA accredited, and the demand for professionals hasn't made employers picky over what schools their applicants went to. But I'd hate to, 20 years down the road, feel as if I got "less than" of an education due to an online education!

Don't ponder the "what if's"! Your job makes you happy, and is providing you with a substantial paycheck to support your blingaddictions, so you're now AHEAD of the game! The idea of making it out without any student loans/debt is :love: enough! If I were in your position, that would have torn my heart into 102981092 pieces as I try to figure out which route to take. I probably would have chosen the same path as you have. It sounds the safest! I wish I get qualify for some sort of "tuition reimbursement" from a company. I'm always jealous of those who do have that opportunity! And I can't believe so many people don't jump at that opportunity!

And. Funny about the ENG comment you made. You don't know HOW MANY of my classmates are married to/engaged to/dating engineers. I guess because the SLP students tend to be really extroverted, and VERY talkative, the quiet, introverted listening type is a good match? I thought it was hilarious at first. The strangest coincidence. Until one of my professors, a SLP, was talking about her husband, also an engineer, and how she can't shut up, and how he just sits and listens, and how their extremely polar opposite personalities made a good match for conversations. In that class, one chimed in "ME TOO!", and slowly, I connected a few dots in my head about the people I knew, myself included, and laughed out loud. I think there's some plot for it, because they put the engineering building right next to ours on our campus. :lol:

Okay, I've written a novel for you, :oops:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Hey hey! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I have a couple very busy days at work! Lol, true about the anonymity thing, but I think you were plenty vague.

I'm with you on the major switching, I switched several times before landing on CSD and then still ended up going back for something else. My program was also a BA and geared towards SLP prep. My class was a cohort of about 70 students, less than 5 were for AuD and we only had one male in our program.

I see what you mean about long term. The AuD patients (unless you get into cochlear implants and aural rehabilitiation), your patients are certainly less long term.

I am Florida based, in the Tampa Bay area. Nova is a great school, but it's a private university so between out of state tuition and private school tuition it would be :$$): And Florida has new tuition laws that unless you move to the state for a purpose OTHER than school/education and live there for a year before APPLYING to a program, you can't get in state rates. Even after you've lived here for a period of time, they won't change your status.

USF is a great program too, top 50 and the professors are wonderful and they have a really nice clinic. I also know students who went to UF and to FSU after doing their undergrads at USF. Most of them preferred our professors and our clinic to their new ones but were happy for the new experiences. UNF does not have an SLP program. USF does have an 'online' option as well that I have a friend in. You can enroll if you work in the local school system as a Speech Therapist working under a licensed one and towards your degree. The program is longer (3 years) but not as rigorous as the full-time route and allows you to work full time and get experience while you go. Your job also acts as your clinic hours saving you time. I would think as long as you stick to programs that already have ASHA accreditation you'd be fine. That and the licenses are what will get you a job in the future.

And you are right, I'm happy with my decision overall and think many people would have done what I chose to do as well. The tuition waivers are a great bonus...mine aren't through reimbursement, they are just directly paid :)

Lol, the engineer thing is pretty funny but I have seriously found it to be true in real life. I think the extroverted/introverted match is a good one (as long as neither are on the extreme end of their own type) and makes for a good balance.

Sounds like you have a great plan! Shadow real SLPs and get a feel for the area you may want to specialize in. Some of those areas are hard to get into and the more volunteering/shadowing/knowledge you have of the 'field' will help in your future endeavors!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Hey! So crazy news...I'm going back to CSD :)

I have been hating my job and my classes and I started really missing it and reminiscing all the what ifs had I just done it and on a whim wrote my undergrad advisor.

She was so excited to hear from me that she set up a meeting for me to go in that week to discuss things. Long story short, despite the fact that they've already sent out letters for Fall 2012 (and I didn't apply mind you...) they are trying to get me admitted to go back full time in August! Ahh! I'm so excited, nervous, scared, ready, and worried about how it will all work. They've also offered me GA funding to pay tuition!

I didn't originally do it (despite being accepted) then because I couldn't foresee affording the program. Looks like it really is true, everything happens for a reason and sometimes all you need is time. So.flipping.excited!!! :naughty: :appl: :-o :shock: :errrr:

audball

Ideal_Rock
*bump :wavey:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so excited for you! I really hope they're able to squeeze a spot for you in their fall admissions! This is for University of FL?

This whole thread had been drowned out by the new LIW activity (YAY!) as I just came back to the US yesterday. I'm glad to see you updated, and am so happy that you're fulfilling your dreams! Even if they can't squish you into the Fall '12 admissions, you always have Spring '13!

I'm a long ways to go from your events.. I'm currently on spring break, nervously awaiting the results from my finals last week! I'm currently in a major :errrr: -mode due to one of my courses.. The class is out of 300 points, and I'm 1 point shy from an A (Our campus does the darn A- thing). I'm praying to the CSD gods to let me please have this one!

What is GA funding? I'm quite nervous about the :$$): COST$ of school.. This whole not-working for the last half year has depleted my savings in a steady, but quick fashion (especially after my recent splurges :oops:) but my SO has been supportive so far. We both agree it isn't his responsibility to be financially responsible or involved "like that" since we're not engaged nor married, but he still squeezes out a little bit a month to help me out, which I appreciate soooooo much since my own family would not be able to afford that! Let alone, would want to, since my mother and I are a bit estranged. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1332959790|3158331 said:
I'm so excited for you! I really hope they're able to squeeze a spot for you in their fall admissions! This is for University of FL?

This whole thread had been drowned out by the new LIW activity (YAY!) as I just came back to the US yesterday. I'm glad to see you updated, and am so happy that you're fulfilling your dreams! Even if they can't squish you into the Fall '12 admissions, you always have Spring '13!

I'm a long ways to go from your events.. I'm currently on spring break, nervously awaiting the results from my finals last week! I'm currently in a major :errrr: -mode due to one of my courses.. The class is out of 300 points, and I'm 1 point shy from an A (Our campus does the darn A- thing). I'm praying to the CSD gods to let me please have this one!

What is GA funding? I'm quite nervous about the :$$): COST$ of school.. This whole not-working for the last half year has depleted my savings in a steady, but quick fashion (especially after my recent splurges :oops:) but my SO has been supportive so far. We both agree it isn't his responsibility to be financially responsible or involved "like that" since we're not engaged nor married, but he still squeezes out a little bit a month to help me out, which I appreciate soooooo much since my own family would not be able to afford that! Let alone, would want to, since my mother and I are a bit estranged. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms!
Thanks!! I really hope so too! It's at the University of South Florida in Tampa. I prefer USF's program to UF's because the clinic for both Audiology and Speech Pathology is ON campus vs. off at other businesses, etc. And the faculty are second to none. I love USF. Hah.

They take 14 students per year. They had 110+ apps for Fall 2012 and they only admit once per year so if I don't squeeze in this year, it'll be Fall of 2013, not Spring. They sent out 14 acceptances and have confirmed 4 so far. So 10 outstanding decisions that have to yay or nay by April 15. They have a 'wait list' but they put my name up top despite not having even applied! So if there is even 1 seat, it's mine.

Are you in your junior year of the CSD program? Or senior? What classes are you taking right now? USF does the +/- system too, I hate it. I got straight As (real As) in my program except for one where I was literally one point short and got an A-, at least it was in Neuroanatomy...but still.

GA funding is a Graduate Assitantship position. They set yo up with a job doing something for the department for 10 hours per week at 13ish/hour. So the pay is minimal, but the benefit is that it comes with tuition waivers for classes. So my only costs for going back will be books, fees, uniforms, and minimal housing costs to supplement my loss of income going back. It's an awesome deal. USF (at least for the AuD program) tries to make sure that every student gets at least one year funded out of the 4. Mine will be at least 2 which significantly reduces the cost to go back. Our SLP program does have GA funding spots too, but they take closer to 50 students/year so they are much more competitive and not everyone is guaranteed even a semester, let alone a year.

Does your school have a NSSLHA organization? I know students involved in ours here had a better chance of not only getting in to Grad programs but also better chances at funding.

ETA: I know what you mean about help from the boy. Right now I'm the main breadwinner working full time and going to school part time but when I go back (he's graduating this year) we'll essentially be switching places. And even though we aren't engaged/married yet, we thoroughly discussed how me going back would effect us, our plans, our current goals, our long term goals, etc and agreed TOGETHER that this was what was best for the both of us in the long run and are on the same page about helping each other get there. We'll be officially moving in together in July so our combined expenses will go down and we're just going to take it a little at a time.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: Oh you'll definitely be in! They always go down at least 2 on the wait list, as people are waiting until April to make their final decisions! So early congratulations to you! :appl:

I just finished my first 2 quarters as a "junior", though the term junior should be applied loosely-- I'm definitely not in that age group, nor only on my 3rd year of schooling! The particular course I am currently nervous about IS neuroscience and anatomy! :evil: I'm currently up for offering sacrifices to the CSD gods. I already ruined my A streak as they tossed me into anatomy and physio my first class at this college, and I knew nothing they were talking about! With 5+ hours of tutoring a week, I managed to raise my grade to a 89.5%.. but alas, .5% isn't enough to bump me up to an A-. ;(

This upcoming quarter, I'll be taking the Introduction to Communicative Disorders class (finally) which should be a breeze since I've already finished 2 quarters! :roll: It's ridiculous how compacted the program is.. some students don't get around to taking the Intro course until their last year! And, I'm also currently enrolled in a Voice, Cleft Palate and Cerebral Palsy course. Due to the overcrowded-ness of our department, most students were only granted 2 courses to enroll in this quarter.. I'll attempt to add a 3rd come the first week of class, but the chances are very slim. I'm not too unhappy about it, though, as this means I'll have time to fit in some personal time, like finding time for the gym, and to clean my room properly.. and to spend time with my beloved furbaby, whose been quite neglected the past few weeks due to finals! But that also means it might take me MORE than 2 years to graduate..

The graduate asst program sounds grand. $13/hour isn't even "bad" for around here-- So many of my friends have worked $10/hour jobs post-graduation! The waiving of tuition is much more valuable than some shopping $ anyway. I don't know of anything like that on our campus, which I am not even sure if I'd qualify to get into, anyway! They only accept about ~18 students a year, and the competition is nerve wrecking!

We do have our own NSSLHA branch-- I am a member, but I am not "involved". I attend their monthly meetings, and that is all. I'm not one of their board, nor have there been much other opportunity to be involved. Hopefully, I have more chances to make myself "known" within the next year. I try to participate in my lecture discussions, and make myself be heard, but it's hard to do when there's such a tight schedule even for lecture!

Congratulations on moving in together, as well! And on his pending graduation! So many important life events coming up :bigsmile: What you said is exactly how we feel about me finishing this whole journey-- that my success isn't just mine, but ours. And why I feel putting an engagement off to focus on this goal is going to be worth it in the end (though my antsy-ness and bling obsession fights my logic all the time!).

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1332963175|3158399 said:
:appl: Oh you'll definitely be in! They always go down at least 2 on the wait list, as people are waiting until April to make their final decisions! So early congratulations to you! :appl:

I just finished my first 2 quarters as a "junior", though the term junior should be applied loosely-- I'm definitely not in that age group, nor only on my 3rd year of schooling! The particular course I am currently nervous about IS neuroscience and anatomy! :evil: I'm currently up for offering sacrifices to the CSD gods. I already ruined my A streak as they tossed me into anatomy and physio my first class at this college, and I knew nothing they were talking about! With 5+ hours of tutoring a week, I managed to raise my grade to a 89.5%.. but alas, .5% isn't enough to bump me up to an A-. ;(

This upcoming quarter, I'll be taking the Introduction to Communicative Disorders class (finally) which should be a breeze since I've already finished 2 quarters! :roll: It's ridiculous how compacted the program is.. some students don't get around to taking the Intro course until their last year! And, I'm also currently enrolled in a Voice, Cleft Palate and Cerebral Palsy course. Due to the overcrowded-ness of our department, most students were only granted 2 courses to enroll in this quarter.. I'll attempt to add a 3rd come the first week of class, but the chances are very slim. I'm not too unhappy about it, though, as this means I'll have time to fit in some personal time, like finding time for the gym, and to clean my room properly.. and to spend time with my beloved furbaby, whose been quite neglected the past few weeks due to finals! But that also means it might take me MORE than 2 years to graduate..

The graduate asst program sounds grand. $13/hour isn't even "bad" for around here-- So many of my friends have worked $10/hour jobs post-graduation! The waiving of tuition is much more valuable than some shopping $ anyway. I don't know of anything like that on our campus, which I am not even sure if I'd qualify to get into, anyway! They only accept about ~18 students a year, and the competition is nerve wrecking!

We do have our own NSSLHA branch-- I am a member, but I am not "involved". I attend their monthly meetings, and that is all. I'm not one of their board, nor have there been much other opportunity to be involved. Hopefully, I have more chances to make myself "known" within the next year. I try to participate in my lecture discussions, and make myself be heard, but it's hard to do when there's such a tight schedule even for lecture!

Congratulations on moving in together, as well! And on his pending graduation! So many important life events coming up :bigsmile: What you said is exactly how we feel about me finishing this whole journey-- that my success isn't just mine, but ours. And why I feel putting an engagement off to focus on this goal is going to be worth it in the end (though my antsy-ness and bling obsession fights my logic all the time!).

It's fairly certain I'll be able to start in the fall, but I'm very much not wanting to count my chickens til they've hatched! Historically, they usually go 1-2 on the waitlist anyway so it should be a go, just waiting for it to be 'official'.

Your program doesn't sound as structured as ours was in my undergrad. We had very specific courses we had to take each semester or we couldn't go on. There were about 80 of us in the cohort my year and we each had all 4 of the CSD classes together per semester over 4 semesters. But it also sounds like you have some courses we didn't (like Cleft Palate and Cerebral Palsy). Most of those are on the graduate level here.

And I get what you mean, the 'junior status' only means so much when you're not in your first go round, but it does more/less show where you are in the program. Have you thought any more about grad schools? You should totally think about Florida! If you come to Tampa, I'll show you around :) Are you fairly certain you're more interested in the SLP than AuD too? It was funny throughout our coursework how some people who were so sure of what they wanted ended up switching sides.

And yes, 13ish/hour isn't bad (but right now making over 20/hour full time, dropping to 13/hour at 10 hours a week is a HUGE pay cut, but getting the tuition waivers will be worth it in the end). That's why it was so important to me that it be a joint decision because even though we aren't married/engaged YET, we will be and whatever decisions I make now in terms of school/loans/debt, etc will end up affecting us both.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok ok, no counting chickens until they're hatched :cheeky:

Yes, our program isn't structured at all. There are a few classes that we have to take in a sequence, but the rest are all free-for-all. We have different classmates in all classes, and it's quite chaotic.

I actually *almost* went to FL this past week! SO was planning to go to the UMF in Miami with his boys, and I wanted to go and explore the area's campuses before we went on vacation. He ended up not going, so neither did I. :knockout: too bad, too, cus that viral video of the gal making out with that tree seemed hilarious! I'd love to have observed some crazies, :lol:

I'm not 100% sure I want to do the SLP route-- I mean, I want to. But it's been getting so competitive in-state, that I'm willing to venture out to other fields if it meant I could stay in-state. My dream job is to be an SLP, though.

If I ever do get a chance to get out to Florida, I shall call you out here on PS, though! It'd be fun! But that's looking unlikely.. this vacation might just be my last before graduation. I keep trying to remind myself that once my savings are depleted, it won't "grow" again.. I feel so helpless as an unemployed student!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Haha, thanks ;-)

I can see why it's so frustrating getting classes/finishing with such a lack of structure. Are there really that many students in the CSD track there? At USF there are maybe 600 students total between junior CSD, senior CSD, and all years of SLP grad students and AuD grad students. It's a highly ranked program (our undergrad CSD is in the top 10 of all USF's programs, our grad SLP is top 50 in the country, and our AuD is just outside of the top 10 in the country at #12) but they have managed to keep it small and structured with cohorts per year that all go through together. I definitely loved the homey feeling of knowing all the people in my class year to year and I know the AuD will be the same since you start to finish are with the same 14 students total.

Ahh! Miami is a good 4 hour drive from where I live, but if you ever do make it out to Florida, we'll see what we can swing!

How old are you again? It's really hard to choose grad programs and I haven't found that getting any easier the older you get. But if you think that really is what you'll want to do in the end, you should just do it :) Take it from me, the what ifs and I should haves and blah blah blah will haunt you until you make your way back. The Masters is only 2 years for most programs and going back is always harder than pushing through. How many programs are available in state? Would you and your FF consider out of state if it was just temporary for school?

Not working and being in school is hard and scary. I remember being there and I'm scared about going back, but I know it will be worth it in the end. Keep your eyes on the prize!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
HI!!! I wanna join in, although i'm quite embarrassed by my educational feats as of late :errrr:

When i was thinking of a career i had always wanted to do nursing. Well, the community college i was at said the wait was a long time, but the wait for an degree in xray was shorter. So i derailed my plans and went to do my pre reqs for xray. After being wait listed 4 1/2 years :oops: i started my degree...yea so imagine my frustration when i had already waited the 2 years...i couldn't really head back to nursing because then i would have to finish those pre reqs and wait on THEIR list...it was very frustrating. So i did my degree and i graduated and yup...no jobs. Mind you, i have worked in a hospital in a section of diagnostic imaging. (glorified secretary, but I'm paid really well for it considering, have great benefits and lots of vacation time!) So when a position opened in XRAY i was a shoe in due to my seniority. Well, since the economy is HORRIBLE, all jobs have to go through a committee to get approved...and guess what...it wasn't approved as a "position" meaning they can only fill it with per diem "on call, no benefits no set hours" people...which is much cheaper for the hospital. So that sucked. Considering i was full time, i could not work per diem...i could not work per diem bc id lose steady pay benefits etc. So onward and upward, i kept applying and applying and applying and nothing :blackeye: So i made a decision at 27 to go back for nursing. i busted my butt to get my pre reqs completed in 3 semesters (went through the summer). I just applied in february as the nursing program here is very competitive. I should hear back today or tomm definite answer if i got in for the fall. I have a 3.8 GPA so theoretically i should not have a problem but this school does whatever they want and i have heard of 2.7 getting in before 3.x :oops: So here's for hoping!

To backtrack a bit, i did want to just go ahead and get my bach in nursing as most hospitals around here require it to work, but the 2 4 year schools in the state take less than 20 transfer students a year and only take their one incoming freshman. It was actually recommended for me to continue my current route as my school has a joint agreement where when i am done and get my RN everything applies towards their BSN and i would only need 6-8 Addl classes for BSN!! Therefore i am very happy because this significantly cuts my costs :)

WOW that was long (sorry).

Audball:: My brother lives in Tampa area (1 hr north) & my parents are moving there this year. I travel down there 3-4 times a year. Was trying to get my SO to move, but for now we are just staying put. Funny side note, his dad lives one hour south of tampa. I really hope you get into your program!! It seems that since everything seems to be falling into place, it will all work out! Keep the hope!! IS that degree similar to the speech pathologists in a hospital setting? It seems like a degree that can canvas an awful lot of career opportunities! Are you and madelise going for similar degrees?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AuD-- HEY! Now your name's more fitting! ;-). I honestly have NO idea how many undergraduate and postbacc students there are in our program. It's a complete mashup. We're nowhere near the high ranks.. heck, I don't think ANY california schools made it anywhere near the top 100. HAH! It would have been grand if we were able to stay within the same class schedule as our classmates, and "grow" through the process with them.. I got to know a few classmates, and then never saw them again due to the crazy tossup of schedules!

I'm a l m o s t 24! TOMORROW is my birthday :D And since I grew up in LA, I "got over" the whole clubbing/drinking phase before I even turned 21. That's the one thing I can't really "connect" with my classmates about.. the other juniors are just starting to hit 21 this year, and are all celebrating their newfound adultness.. and obsessing over things that seem ridiculous to me (Jersey Shore? Really?). I know I'm not old, but in my surroundings, I feel old. I connect more with the postbacc students since they're usually just 2 years younger than me, lol.

There aren't too many instate colleges in the area. There's only ~3 that are options (meaning, I refuse to convert religions for a campus!) that are within commute, though long, ranges. Others require uprooting my life and moving. Which would still be cheaper than out-of-state tuition if I were to move states.. but still, heart wrenching because I love my grandma and want to see her often, and my SO can't leave-- he's a business owner, with a factory to run, right here. I asked if there was anyway to hire someone to do the "right here right now" duties, while he does everything else from another state, but he shot that down. The thought of only seeing him once a month, PLUS the PRICE of that once a month travel, is unbearable.

I should tell you the same: EYE ON THE PRIZE! We'll get there! WOOOHOO!

RSG-- hello! I totally understand about the per diem thing. I worked at a hospital until last winter, 2 weeks before finals of my first semester. I just couldn't pull myself in 10989018212 directions anymore. They offered me a per diem position, which is a set rate per hour, that was LESS than what I was getting paid after all the years of pay increases! AND no insurance? Heckkkk no. It was more insulting to me than anything else.

Are you still working, and just waiting for the results of admission? Is it just the community college that allows a tossup, and accepts a lower GPA than a higher? That's a very wide range, from 2.7 to 3.8.. I'd understand if it was off by a little bit, because of other circumstances.. but that's a bit! The reason I'm asking is because, while working at the hospital, I got to talk to a couple of different schools' nursing department leaders as they were taking their students for their rotations. I found out that in my home state, community college provides the opportunity to get into a nursing program as a LOTTERY system. Thus, anyone with minimum requirements that applies are tossed into a pool, and they literally blindly choose the candidates that are allowed in. You don't know how upset the teachers are over this. One told me she has some classes with stellar academias, mixed with students that couldn't understand basic biology. And since they grade based on learning curves, some of those not-so-bright students still manage to pass. On the other hand, the universities do accept based on competition..

I'll have my fingers crossed for your hopeful acceptance! Let us know : ) If I wasn't squeamish about communicable diseases, I would have chosen to do nursing. Less years of schooling for a higher starting salary? More hours in a day = less days worked? SOOO sounds like my type of career. Too bad =P

AuDball finished the degree that I am currently working on. There are 2 focuses off the CSD/COMD course-- to go for your SLP or your AuD. I'm (hopefully) going for my SLP after graduation, and she's, well, an AuDball lol. I caught the reference in her screen name and thus this whole conversation got rolling.. .

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
:wavey:

Per diem is really a slap in the face. Out of my graduating class of xray students 27 of us...NOT ONE PERSON got a job with benefits. Pretty depressing, but the job market where i live (smallest state in the union :)) is flooded, even in healthcare.

I still have my job that i have had in the hospital since 2004. Can't leave as my seniority will help when I'm done nursing school, but at the same time, i will not be able to work full time, so i might have to find a job in a different area with a more flexible schedule while retaining my benefits and seniority. I am still waiting to hear back from the college. It is supposed to be a preformance based acceptance now. It used to be anyone who finished pre-reqs with a c or better went on a list, and when their name came up they got in. The application period was feb 1- 29. We are supposed to get an acceptance or denial email by the end of march. Go figure they wait till last minute. I should have explained my GPA comment better. The school says it's performance based. But there have been quite a few instances over people with higher GPA's 3.5-4.0 receiving a denial, and a friend or someone they know got an acceptance with a 2.7-2.9 GPA. The word is they want a "well rounded class"...ok then why is it claimed to be performance based then? So that is very frustrating to me. obviously i don't have a 4.0 but i think a 3.8 is pretty darn good lol. So i guess i should know by tomorrow...

PS, HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY!!! I hear you on the over drinking going out thing. I too have been done with that since i was 22/23. It gets old quick after turning 21.

I don't understand what the acronyms for your degrees mean... "SLP" (speech language pathology??) and AuD?? No guesses there...

audball

Ideal_Rock
That is a serious bummer about the per diem! But I know what you mean feeling stuck. I finally decided that my current job, while secure and pays, benefits, etc, wasn't making me happy, and was, in fact, making me miserable so it just wasn't worth it anymore. I can't wait to be able to quit!

Small world! Do look me up if you ever make it to Tampa! :) I know a great little vintage jeweler we can check out for fun!

madelise and I are from similar backgrounds. As she said, she's currently finishing up the BA in the same area I graduated from in 2009. She is focusing on SLP (Speech Language Pathology) and I am focused on Audiology (AuD). The SLP graduate school if for a Masters, and the AuD is for a doctorate.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Lol, yes! My screen name becomes more fitting again! Woot! It's really too bad your program isn't more structured. I know it felt it feel easier going along with the same people in the same boat.

And yes! Happy Early Birthday!! I'm not much older than you, I'll be 26 this year. If I can get started on the AuD this fall I'll finish 6 months before I turn 30. I never in a million years thought I'd be in school this long! But I get what you're feeling, all the students I'm in classes with are so much younger than me. Most of the AuD students I'll be starting with will be fresh out of their BAs at 22! :-o I'll figure it out somehow! With age comes wisdom, right? :naughty:

Wow, that isn't a lot of choices. The bay area (my bay area, lol, not yours) has a program called the Suncoast Consortium Track that allows you to work full time in the school system while doing a less rigorous version of the SLP Masters (finishing in 9 semesters, instead of 6) and has all of your work hours count as your clinic hours. Do you know if any of your schools have a program like this? I know they're easier to get in to and are mostly online. I have a friend doing it now (finishing year 2 of 3) and it's been a blessing for her to reduce the load to finish (she's married, with 2 girls ages 16 and 12) so full time would have been harder for her.

Other than that, it sounds like out of state away from your boyfriend OR an online program are your choices...it's tough :(

audball

Ideal_Rock
redsoxgrl|1333042380|3159190 said:
:wavey:

Per diem is really a slap in the face. Out of my graduating class of xray students 27 of us...NOT ONE PERSON got a job with benefits. Pretty depressing, but the job market where i live (smallest state in the union :)) is flooded, even in healthcare.

I still have my job that i have had in the hospital since 2004. Can't leave as my seniority will help when I'm done nursing school, but at the same time, i will not be able to work full time, so i might have to find a job in a different area with a more flexible schedule while retaining my benefits and seniority. I am still waiting to hear back from the college. It is supposed to be a preformance based acceptance now. It used to be anyone who finished pre-reqs with a c or better went on a list, and when their name came up they got in. The application period was feb 1- 29. We are supposed to get an acceptance or denial email by the end of march. Go figure they wait till last minute. I should have explained my GPA comment better. The school says it's performance based. But there have been quite a few instances over people with higher GPA's 3.5-4.0 receiving a denial, and a friend or someone they know got an acceptance with a 2.7-2.9 GPA. The word is they want a "well rounded class"...ok then why is it claimed to be performance based then? So that is very frustrating to me. obviously i don't have a 4.0 but i think a 3.8 is pretty darn good lol. So i guess i should know by tomorrow...

PS, HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY!!! I hear you on the over drinking going out thing. I too have been done with that since i was 22/23. It gets old quick after turning 21.

I don't understand what the acronyms for your degrees mean... "SLP" (speech language pathology??) and AuD?? No guesses there...
Wow, it should really be performance based or not. I mean, why say it if it isn't really true? I've got all my fingers and toes crossed for you! Make sure to let us know how it goes as soon as you hear something!

More information on the AuD. It's a Doctorate of Audiology. You become an Audiologist and your job is to diagnose and treat hearing and balances related disorders. A lot of them work in conjunction with Otolaryngologists (Ears, Nose and Throat/ENTs) doctors (who hold Medical Doctorates). AuDs do a lot of the screening and follow up care and the ENTs do the surgical/medical intervention parts.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the early birthday wishes, ladies :D Haha, I have an early surgery consultation appointment for my SO tomorrow morning (nothing serious), and have ZILCH plans! Oh how I wish I was pre-21 again for those crazy, call-everyone-you-know birthday celebrations. :naughty:

Dang, RSG, 27 and none of you got placed? That's horrible! I'm glad you're going forward to change your fields : ) and no regrets on age, girls! Yes, age IS wisdom :) There have been studies my ol' statistics professor had us go over.. that yes, if you "drop out", it is a very slight % of chance that you'll "come back", but out of those who do, those students are the ones who perform better, due to extra motivation and wisdom. Heck, if I had gone straight to a university out of HS, I would have a transcript that no one would even look at!

RSG, how are the nursing jobs looking like at your home state? Smallest state.. Rhode Island?

AUD, I just searched up USF's Suncoast Track..

The Suncoast Master's Consortium Track is specifically designed to assist bachelor's level professionals working full time as Speech-Language Pathologists in one of the Suncoast Consortium school districts to complete their Master's degree.

Your state allows SLPs to work with just a bachelor's? Heck, maybe I should move there and forego the whole MA/MS degree! LOL! And no, we don't have any such programs.. Some schools allow you to attend "part time", but most campuses only accept a handful of students to go PT, and I know mine has stopped altogether, even though EdFind still shows inaccurate info..

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1333047371|3159268 said:
Thank you for the early birthday wishes, ladies :D Haha, I have an early surgery consultation appointment for my SO tomorrow morning (nothing serious), and have ZILCH plans! Oh how I wish I was pre-21 again for those crazy, call-everyone-you-know birthday celebrations. :naughty:

Dang, RSG, 27 and none of you got placed? That's horrible! I'm glad you're going forward to change your fields : ) and no regrets on age, girls! Yes, age IS wisdom :) There have been studies my ol' statistics professor had us go over.. that yes, if you "drop out", it is a very slight % of chance that you'll "come back", but out of those who do, those students are the ones who perform better, due to extra motivation and wisdom. Heck, if I had gone straight to a university out of HS, I would have a transcript that no one would even look at!

RSG, how are the nursing jobs looking like at your home state? Smallest state.. Rhode Island?

AUD, I just searched up USF's Suncoast Track..

The Suncoast Master's Consortium Track is specifically designed to assist bachelor's level professionals working full time as Speech-Language Pathologists in one of the Suncoast Consortium school districts to complete their Master's degree.

Your state allows SLPs to work with just a bachelor's? Heck, maybe I should move there and forego the whole MA/MS degree! LOL! And no, we don't have any such programs.. Some schools allow you to attend "part time", but most campuses only accept a handful of students to go PT, and I know mine has stopped altogether, even though EdFind still shows inaccurate info..
You can...for a limited time only though. You can get a job as a "SLPA - Speech Language Pathologist Assistant" and work essentially as an SLP in the school being supervised by someone who has a Masters and their Cs (CCC-SLP from ASHA). You can do this for up to 2 years before you must be enrolled in a Masters program to keep working. Once enrolled, you have 5 years to finish. So you could go very slowly as long as you're working on it.

It' s a great program though. It's one of the only ones I know of where you can be working full time IN the field, and using your job as your clinic hours. That program is significantly easier to get in to at USF as well since most want to go full time on the resident track. You'd have to apply for a job in the school system, but I have a friend doing it that I can get to try and help you out if you decide you want to try it. The need a minimum number of students each year to keep the suncoast consortium going so they usually take everyone who applies (assuming you meet the minimum requirements).

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Hey ladies-
Happy 24th Madelise.

Hope you don’t mind me jumping in.

I live in Ca(did BA & MA here) and have been working as an SLP w/ kids who are Deaf & HofH in TC program for ten years. [gonna keep it a little vague bz this is a open forum]

Love working as an SLP (overall good but just as any job it can be -stressful-) and know quite a few AuD’s.
If you have any questions or need to vent about the getting into grad school. Please let me know. I know -exactly- how you are feeling. It was so competitive the many moons ago when I was finishing my undergrad.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
“ENG comment you made. You don't know HOW MANY of my classmates are married to/engaged to/dating engineers. I guess because the SLP students tend to be really extroverted, and VERY talkative, the quiet, introverted listening type is a good match?”
-giggle-
I (of course am biased) do believe another reason ENG and SLPs/AuDs get along is because ya have to be dedicated to learning to get through all the -stuff- ya need to know even for your BA.

“they are trying to get me admitted to go back full time in August! Ahh! I'm so excited, nervous, scared, ready, and worried about how it will all work. They've also offered me GA funding to pay tuition!” - - - fingers crossed for you AuDball.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for offering, Aud! That's very sweet! I feel all gushy, and YAY I made a friend over the interwebz! But if I were to ever, ever EVER be out of state, I'd want to finish ASAP to head back home! :oops:

Thanks, 16Ocean! I'm glad you enjoy the profession. It's very pleasing to me to know that everyone I've spoken with that works as an SLP is happy in their field, and living a happy life. To me, that's more important than working a job that pays double, but makes me cranky or stressed out all the time!

RSG, have you heard back about your admission yet?

audball

Ideal_Rock
16ocean|1333164959|3160447 said:
“ENG comment you made. You don't know HOW MANY of my classmates are married to/engaged to/dating engineers. I guess because the SLP students tend to be really extroverted, and VERY talkative, the quiet, introverted listening type is a good match?”
-giggle-
I (of course am biased) do believe another reason ENG and SLPs/AuDs get along is because ya have to be dedicated to learning to get through all the -stuff- ya need to know even for your BA.

“they are trying to get me admitted to go back full time in August! Ahh! I'm so excited, nervous, scared, ready, and worried about how it will all work. They've also offered me GA funding to pay tuition!” - - - fingers crossed for you AuDball.
Thanks for chiming in 16ocean! I'll be sure to keep that in mind!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1333201712|3160590 said:
Thanks for offering, Aud! That's very sweet! I feel all gushy, and YAY I made a friend over the interwebz! But if I were to ever, ever EVER be out of state, I'd want to finish ASAP to head back home! :oops:

Thanks, 16Ocean! I'm glad you enjoy the profession. It's very pleasing to me to know that everyone I've spoken with that works as an SLP is happy in their field, and living a happy life. To me, that's more important than working a job that pays double, but makes me cranky or stressed out all the time!

RSG, have you heard back about your admission yet?
Haha, anytime hun! :)

audball

Ideal_Rock
SOOOOOOOOOO anxious. I just want to know if I can start full time this fall or not! I will know SOON. Sometime in the next 2 weeks-ish. I am such a planner, I need/want to know if my life is about to seriously change directions or not!

madelise -- how are your classes going?

redsoxgrl - have you heard about your program yet?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm anxious for you! : ) and I always found that re-browsing the "SMTB" sub-forum always helps calm my anxiety over anything :razz: so for the next 2 weeks, being a blingaholic can help!

Today is my first day of class. WIth the whole too-many-people plus too-little-classes, comes the whole 15-20-something students trying to fight for a chance of getting in a class in case anyone doesn't show up- sort of thing. So I'll be fighting my own compadres to try to get into 1 more course, so I can go "overtime", and hopefully graduate on time. I already have a full time class schedule.

Thanks for asking!! and RSG, where are you! :wavey:

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1333390482|3161807 said:
I'm anxious for you! : ) and I always found that re-browsing the "SMTB" sub-forum always helps calm my anxiety over anything :razz: so for the next 2 weeks, being a blingaholic can help!

Today is my first day of class. WIth the whole too-many-people plus too-little-classes, comes the whole 15-20-something students trying to fight for a chance of getting in a class in case anyone doesn't show up- sort of thing. So I'll be fighting my own compadres to try to get into 1 more course, so I can go "overtime", and hopefully graduate on time. I already have a full time class schedule.

Thanks for asking!! and RSG, where are you! :wavey:
Oh, I've been distracting myself! Planning our future wedding!! Haha. Check out the other thread I started today...hopefully some LsIW will bite and keep us lively awhile longer!

First day back from Spring Break or first day of the semester? Do you guys run on a different than Spring-Summer-Fall semesters schedule? I'm confused...lol.

What classes were you able to get registered for? And what else are you trying to get in to?

RSG! Where are you girl?!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL! Pinterest-ing? I entertained myself this weekend with some "wedding planning", too. Just bookmarking ideas for crafts :razz: But don't like SO find out, he'll roll his eyes.

Today's the first day of our new quarter, and first day back from spring break. We run on a quarter system, with each being 10 weeks long of lecture + 1 week of finals. So in one calendar year, there's winter, spring, summer then fall. Summer quarter is "optional", though in the CSD/COMD department, it truly is mandatory in order to graduate in the usual 2 years.. . However, it's not covered by financial aid at all, and is usually priced HIGHER than the other quarters! Rather than just paying part-time/full-time tuition, we would pay a certain price per unit at a premium. It's weird. And the program's road map for 2 years requires a student to take 16 units a quarter, rather than the 12 that's already full time. So.. overtime, all the time, and going broke, just to graduate in 2 years :rolleyes: heh.

I posted before about the courses I'm taking this quarter.. Here it is:

This upcoming quarter, I'll be taking the Introduction to Communicative Disorders class (finally) which should be a breeze since I've already finished 2 quarters! It's ridiculous how compacted the program is.. some students don't get around to taking the Intro course until their last year! And, I'm also currently enrolled in a Voice, Cleft Palate and Cerebral Palsy course. Due to the overcrowded-ness of our department, most students were only granted 2 courses to enroll in this quarter.. I'll attempt to add a 3rd come the first week of class, but the chances are very slim. I'm not too unhappy about it, though, as this means I'll have time to fit in some personal time, like finding time for the gym, and to clean my room properly.. and to spend time with my beloved furbaby, whose been quite neglected the past few weeks due to finals! But that also means it might take me MORE than 2 years to graduate..

But on top of those 2, I am also enrolled in my final English course. I had postponed taking it for too long, and the university is threatening to freeze future enrollments! :oops: I'll be trying to add another CSD course: Fluency and Articulation/ Phonological Disorders.. But I'm okay if I don't get in :) More furbaby play time, and GRE practice time!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Hah, I'm actually not on Pinterest! But I have been collecting links and such for things. Thankfully Andrew is interested and looks with me and comments as appropriate. He's cute.

My best friend growing up just finished his Master's at UCLA and they did quarter hours too. It was always hard to transition to that mentality since I'm used to 16 week semesters. Dust that you get into the classes you want! ************

And yeah, sorry, you did tell me that already! Doh! :oops:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it's weird since most schools are semester system! All my breaks are at different times than my friends (and SO when he was still in school). But I much prefer it this way.. Less subjects for a shorter period of time :wink2: So I can't get sick of my teacher!

I didn't get the classes I tried to add today, but I'll cross my fingers for tomorrow!

I made a post about my avatar here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/0-70-f-vs2-halo-pear-ring-pendant-makeover.173772/

and RedSox, I see you posting on another thread, we've been thinking of you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results