shape
carat
color
clarity

I should have known better - set BB supernova pink tourmaline at Intergem :(

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
My 3.42ct pink tourmaline from Barry has been in my gem box for almost a year. So I was thrilled to find a setting at the Intergem show yesterday, actually a pair of earrings that the vendor graciously allowed me to split up, and adding a diamond bale transformed it into a pendant. Then I had their benchman set the stone, and the culet got chipped. I know, I know, I''ve read all the admonishments about having stuff set at gem shows, where questionable skills and time-sensitive projects are a recipe for disaster, but I''d used this vendor before, and honestly, this kind of thing can happen anywhere. Barry said he''s even done it himself.

Barry has offered to cut a culet facet or add 8 extra facets to get rid of the chip, but I''m actually liking the open culet, so I''ll probably opt for the culet facet. The high crown and chunky facets of the supernova are reminiscent of an older cut diamond, and lends itself well to the look, I think. I understand that it might not be to everyone''s taste, so I''d be interested in hearing your opinions.

Here''s the original vendor photo:

BB%207.7x10mm.jpg

And a shot of it loose:

tsupernova4.JPG

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Dreadful news. I am so sorry to hear this. But mercifully is isn''t as bad as it could have been. I too like the culet in all its nostalgic glory.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty setting. Sorry your stone got chipped.
8.gif
I really do like the open cutlet idea though. Barry should start cutting antique style stones with open cutlets (does he already???). I think it would be cool!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think in general I prefer it without a culet, but I think polishing a culet facet is the best way to make lemonade out of lemons...

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
The stone''s 7.7 x 10mm, and has nice presence - I''ll be wearing this a lot!

IMG_2084-1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your sympathies, Vapid, and I''m glad to hear your comments on the culet.

TL, I did mention to Barry that another friend of mine also likes the antique look, so who knows, maybe it''s a cut you can request from now on! I did ask him if he''d take a studio before and after photo.

jstar, I truly appreciate your opinion, and I''ve asked Barry which he thinks would look better. It would be interesting to see a supernova with extra facets.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aak! How awful. In spite of the chip your pendant is absolutely gorgeous!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2010 12:49:41 PM
Author: cellentani
jstar, I truly appreciate your opinion, and I''ve asked Barry which he thinks would look better. It would be interesting to see a supernova with extra facets.

Thanks! I thought about it a little more, and I think what makes me like it better without the culet is the precision cut...the perfect alignment of facets on a precision-cut stone just seems to call for a razor-sharp culet. At the same time, I like the chunkiness of the supernova as it is, so it''s hard to say what it would look like with extra facets. Let us know what Barry says!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer it with the open culet! I''d leave well alone, wear and enjoy!

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous setting!! The size really has presence on your neck (but not overpowering). I''m not sure what I think of the culet, but I might like it once it''s polished up. And from a distance, I can''t really tell, but I''m very inexperienced, so who knows. :)

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry you had do go through this
6.gif
That''s so disappointing! However, it looks beautiful in that setting, and if it doesn''t bug you too much, you could leave it as is.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
That setting is beautiful and the stone looks great in it. I''m sorry it got chipped.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG I want Barry to cut open culets!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thats such a shame. It''s a pretty stone and looks very nice in that setting! I''m so sorry about the chip.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
As soon as I saw BB supernova, followed by a frowny face, I knew it couldn''t be good.

But, after seeing pictures of the chip, I can''t help but fall in love with it. I really, really like the open cutlet. I love OEC''s and chunky cuts, and the high crown makes it all really fit together. I really do prefer it, and you''ve definitely got a one of a kind piece.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
well glad you are taking it so graciously, Cell..ya know that can happen to anyone regarless of experience..sure maybe if it was done someplace else might not have happened that time but still it happens..oh..did I mention nice stone by the way..well..um..seeing as how you don''t like..err..um..chipped stones..why don''t you send it my way to handle it..ya know being damaged goods and all
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2010 4:09:03 PM
Author: FrekeChild
OMG I want Barry to cut open culets!

Ohhh, me too! That looks amazing! I''d have been SO angry to discover that chip, but it looks so good now. And you will be the only one with a Barry stone cut like that!

The setting is gorgeous as well, I love how it looks on you.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
That''s a gorgeous pendant - I love the basket. I would leave it as it .. the culet doesn''t bother me and I find it adds interest.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mercy me I love it that way! love love love it! Dangit now I want one too!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I love the setting. I understand that it was a bad job but the basket is great, and it really highlights the beauty of the stone. I''d like to use this jeweler.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
first of all the sotne is gorgeous, second of all
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
the setting, esp the profile.

I think the open culet will be a GREAT look if Barry can add the culet facet, I actually like it better:)

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooh, that basket is great and it just adds to the vintage feel, I would leave it. What a nice stone!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous, I LOVE the open culet!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
It looks so vintage-y, and the basket just finishes the look
9.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks lovely.

Sorry about the chip but at least Barry has a fantastic repair policy!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the chunky faceting on these supernovas really look great with open cutlets. Many old mine stones have similar chunky faceting.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Wow, thank you all for your great comments - I hadn''t expected so many of you to like the open culet idea! Now I just have to take the pendant to my local jeweler to see if the stone can be removed without damaging the setting (I''m pretty sure it can), then I''ll ship it off to Barry. I wonder if this will lead to any new cuts in his repertoire!

We didn''t have the greatest light today - kind of overcast. But here''s another pic anyway, lol.

IMG_2204-1.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results