shape
carat
color
clarity

Help pick one of these Montana sapphires?

bigsky_wanderer

Rough_Rock
Hello from a lurker who is finally ready to take the plunge and pop the question! :wavey: My girlfriend is not a big fan of diamonds, so I have decided to get her a Montana sapphire ring. After scouring the internet for Montana sapphires, I ended up buying several from Blaze Wharton, owner of http://www.blazengems.com , with plans to return all but 1 or 2 within the 10 day return period. Blaze has great prices to begin with, and has a terrific sale going on (25% off). He was also very friendly and a huge help in sending me pictures of stones, even recommending stones that matched what I was looking for. Really great to work with--highly recommended.

Would you mind sharing your opinions on which stone would make the best engagement ring? Below are the various options, photographed under different lighting. (I think my girlfriend would not like the green stones, so please ignore, G and H.)
I am thinking of getting a simple 18k white gold or platinum 6 prong solitaire setting, but I haven't exactly figured out the setting yet. Any recommendations on that would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Photo 1
screen_shot_2017-01-18_at_11.png

Photo 2
screen_shot_2017-01-18_at_11_0.png

Photo 3
screen_shot_2017-01-18_at_11_1.png

Photo 4
screen_shot_2017-01-18_at_11_4.png

Photo 5
screen_shot_2017-01-18_at_11_2.png

Photo 6
screen_shot_2017-01-18_at_11_3.png

Photo 7
screen_shot_2017-01-18_at_11_5.png

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i like F the best. the blue color is nice and it seems to be one of the better cut stones in these options :)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
userangl28212003|1485126954|4118239 said:
i like F the best. the blue color is nice and it seems to be one of the better cut stones in these options :)

Agree - thumb's up on F - I like F's colors/moods in all of your pics and its cut is quite nice. FWIW none of the others really appeal to me.

bigsky_wanderer

Rough_Rock
Thanks -- F is definitely the most unique cut. But I wonder whether I would have trouble finding a setting for that shape. Also, is there something undesirable about the cut of the other stones? I am a newbie to this sort of thing, so definitely looking for advice here.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like H, even though you said your girlfriend does not like green. It holds its color somewhat.

F grays out in the 3rd picture. What are the different lighting conditions? Any stone I buy has to look good in the lighting inside my house, outside, and under the fluorescent lighting at my work.

bigsky_wanderer

Rough_Rock
I think the pictures where the stones are dull/grayed out was taken in hard/direct indoor light (not sure whether fluorescent or incandescent). More outdoor pics and a video below. Is the modified cushion cut blue stone still the leader?

After seeing the stones in person, I am also drawn to the white round. In bright natural light it appears white/clear, but in softer and indoor light it changes colors, reflecting the surroundings like a mirror. In some of these shots it looks black, because I was wearing a black jacket. Is the window on the white stone too large? It probably has the second best luster behind the hexagon stone.

The hexagon and the small, deep blue oval have been heat treated. The rest are no treatment.

Here is a video, in case it helps: https://vimeo.com/200831198

And more pictures in soft outdoor light below. Thanks for your thoughts/opinions!
img_1419.jpg
img_1422.jpg
img_1423.jpg
img_1424_0.jpg
img_1425.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D and I spoke the loudest to me when I viewed all the pictures (where they looked at their best and at their worst).

bigsky_wanderer

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your opinion, Chrono! D is actually cut very shallow. I.e., skinny crown and pavilion. It could be set quite low in a ring, but its thinness concerns me in terms of its durability to fracturing or chipping. It is noticeably shallower than the other stones. I think that's why there is some color zoning on it, because you can almost see through it. (Am I correctly using the term zoning? where there are white and dark areas of the stone, depending on angle?) I have heard that lavender blue color is unusual for a Montana sapphire, but I am fond of it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very curious now. Do you have a profile view of the shallow D oval? No, that is not zoning, just brilliance contrast. I did see some dark / light areas and wondered how often you see it IRL.

bigsky_wanderer

Rough_Rock
Here are some more shots of D, I, and F. I can send a profile shot of D a bit later, but I don't have any at the moment. At least you can see how the stone is lying flatter, more facing up toward the sky? That's caused by the shallow pavilion. Also, I would say the saturation is not quite as intense in real life as in this photo of D.

No love for the big round, stone C, eh? Does it look too much like a wannabe diamond? The mirror effect is pretty cool. It appears light blue in this video because it is reflecting the sky: http://sendvid.com/1zcbivdb

Sorry for all the photo dumps here.

image2_19.jpg
image1_33.jpg
fullsizerender_174.jpg

image3_16.jpg
image1_34.jpg

image3_17.jpg
image2_21.jpg
image1_35.jpg

image4_6.jpg
image5_4.jpg
image6_2.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"I" was the one that spoke to me

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My eyes came back to D too, I think it is the best or most interesting colour even if it's a shallow cut then colour wise and for ease of setting the small round third from the left, for a nice pretty & interesting cut "I" or the hexagon on the left;

img_14674.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have reservations about D, I don't want to push you towards it because it will be "your" stone and you have to be 100% crazy about it. Sadly, the round just doesn't tickle me. "I" would be my other choice due to the interesting cut, consistent colouration and unique colouration.

That said, that's my choice. Which ones are you gravitating towards and why?

bigsky_wanderer

Rough_Rock
I have narrowed it down to 4. I like different things about all of them, but each has some drawbacks:
  • The round is the biggest, and also has the flashiest/mirror-like appearance. I like that it has a subtle color change (white/clear in natural light, and pinkish-silver in certain indoor light. (I do wonder if it would be too flashy for her, at 7.2mm. Or if people would think I was trying to imitate a diamond.)
  • The blue-lavender oval is a gorgeous color that's unique for Montana sapphires. Something about it also glows with light. But it has sort of a big window, and is a pretty shallow-cut stone. And setting options are more limited for ovals.
  • The steel blue modified cushion has the most unique and special cut. It looks like it has hundreds of facets, and can get really sparkly in the right light. But it does gray out to an opaque gray-blue under some indoor light.
  • The hexagon has similar flash properties to the round, and a unique cut. But it is a heated stone, and not that saturated in color. It looks green in some pictures, but is actually more of a sky blue silver color.

So I am really torn. I think she would love any of them... but which would she love the MOST?

Here are some hand shots with a silver key ring on my finger:

fullsizerender__10__0.jpg
fullsizerender__9__1.jpg
fullsizerender__8__0.jpg
fullsizerender__12_.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like the round one the best. That flashiness probably means it is well cut, which is important for any gemstone. I would not be self-conscious of it trying to imitate a diamond because it's clearly a colored stone. A diamond of that color, at that size would not be affordable to most everyone.

bigsky_wanderer

Rough_Rock
Thanks for this response! I think part of the reason not many people have picked out the round is because it can't be accurately captured by photograph. Looking at its different moods in different lighting is what makes it special. I love the blue-lavender oval too, but I don't think the stone would be properly protected unless it's in a 6 prong or halo setting; the former looks a bit odd on an oval, and the latter is a bit delicate for daily wear in and of itself.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bigsky_wanderer|1485708848|4121490 said:
but which would she love the MOST?
That is the most important question and only you can answer. ;))

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From your statements the hexagon has a bit of green in it and your girlfriend doesn't like green. So if you see green I'd skip that one.

I really like the steel blue cushion cut but I personally love cushion cuts.

Does the round stone sparkle more than the others? That may be a very attractive quality.

For me personally it would come down to the round and the cushion. Go with the one you think your girlfriend would prefer.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a well cut round, colorless from a PS vendor. If not kept pristine clean, as in daily scrubbing, it just dies. No sparkle or life. My blues lose a little sparkle, but the color remains. I'd stick with a sapphire with good body color. So, I'd vote cushion or oval.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B, G and H are the stones I would totally rule out for being too dark. As for the rest of them, F was my favorite because it was the most pastel blue. However, you may prefer the other hues better on the remaining options. Which one do YOU like best?

jewelsforalltosee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@bigsky_wanderer I love the cut of the round, but no so much the color, unless that steely gray holds up and it doesn't go flat. I have a round 9.25mm and it is on the larger side, I think 7.2mm is totally wearable unless she just has the smallest of hands. Which stone did you choose??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results