shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a Neophyte with an Emerald

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Since I've found pricescope my love for certain stones has grown (I only wish my bank account had grown at the same rate!). I'd really like to get an emerald. I found this one, but I'm not sure about it as I really don't know nearly enough to feel like I'm capable of making an educated decision.

The stone I found is 1.45 carats and measures 8.4mm x 7mm and maybe like 3.6mm deep (hard to tell). The depth seems shallow, no? Does that impact it's ability to be set in a ring? Does depth matter as much with an emerald? I like the color, shape, and glow. It's priced at about$300. I have no idea how to evaluate... Any insight would be great.

img_20170216_203519.jpg

img_20170216_203417.jpg

img_20170216_203445.jpg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Shallow stones have more options in setting that stones compared with those that has heavy pavilion. A shallow stone can be set high or low, and a good jewellery designer can hide the depth if that's what you want.

The stone's depth is on the shallow side but what's good about emeralds is the jardin can hide/minimize the effect of windows, and everyone just is tolerant of emeralds being included as it is the nature of the stone. Also, I personally find that the emerald cut with a step cut pavilion with a window is not as bad-looking as those of round and oval cuts.

S

SparkliesLuver

The first thing I always look at, when it comes to emeralds, is treatment. Even if you're paying $300, I still think a good vendor should know how the stone has been treated. However, if you don't care at all, then proceed. :) Once I know that, I look at the clarity. Is anything surface-reaching? Are the inclusions acceptable? Then I move to color. Do I love it? Then cut. The only time I ever worry about depth is if the cut looks super wonky or if the depth is a lot. The former can mean a large window and/or off-set culet, and the latter can mean the setting has to be high. Just depends. You're right that the depth is a bit shallow on this one, but I don't think it'll impact the setting process.

I'd also see if they could possibly take a clearer picture of the table and crown - in the first picture, it looks as if there may be surface scratches. Not entirely sure though, so if not please excuse me. Or if someone else has better eyes. :)

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Seaglow and SparliesLuver. That helps. I'm having a really hard time determining how to evaluate value vs. quality etc. I know I'm not going to get a museum stone for my budget.

S

SparkliesLuver

Sure thing. It also helps to look at as many as you can first, to see what you like and don't, especially in-hand. I totally understand that, but we also don't want you wasting your money on a piece of glass or something that's basically been treated to death. ;-)

Would you mind sharing a bit more of what you're looking for? Maybe we could help you come up with some other options for comparison. But I understand if this is the one you really want and/or don't have time.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will it matter to you if the emerald is glued together? Given the size vs price, it is likely to be more resin than emerald.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-treatment-for-emerald.145566/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-treatment-for-emerald.145566/[/URL]

It is easier to set a shallow stone than an overly deep stone. The most likely reason for any shallow stone is to save as much of the carat weight as possible (in order to be able to cut less of the original rough away and also charge more by the ct weight).

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
OK, so it's been treated with oil only. I'm awaiting more photos from the seller so I can better see the jardin and any surface scratches.

I took a look at Embassy Emeralds... They are soooo lovey. I've discovered though that I tend to gravitate towards emeralds that are not as dark as "ideal". If I had a bunch of cash I would have immediately bought Mochiko's ring when she posted it on LT at the beginning of the month. Everything about it is my ideal, lol.

S

SparkliesLuver

Once you know that, then there are levels of oiling. ;-) But if that doesn't concern you, that's fine! Please keep us posted on the additional pictures.

haha Yes, they have a lot of amazing ones. I'm the exact same way, so that's helpful to know. Oh goodness, you're telling me! :naughty: :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know budget is tight and I probably am sounding like a horrible Debbie Downer (and please don't think I am putting the emerald "down" or anything like that). I just want to make sure you know all the facts and are making an informed decision. I know that we are not swimming in $$$ and we cannot buy the best of the best, but we try our best to get the best our budget can stretch to.

1. Does it matter to you whether it is lightly oiled or heavily oiled?
2. Are you okay when the oil dries up (and looks really bad) and it needs to be reoiled?
3. Make sure the oil isn't dyed green
4. Some oils are mixed with resins and not discloed.

I would like better close up views of the emerald. Not too concerned with side or back views but frontal view is very important. Colour is whatever you like. :))

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the heads up, pregcurious. As I said, I am a neophyte with a strong desire to learn , but without much acquired knowledge of my own yet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1487644994|4131535 said:
The stone has a large, uneven window.
Sorry, a window this large is a dealbreaker for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results