shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kali

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend presented me with these two stones to choose from. Forget the settings. I am looking for some opinions on which stone looks better. I am affraid the bigger one is too big for my hand. I was also wondering which is a better stone proportion wise, etc.

Left one: GIA CERT
5.22 carat
10.86*8.15*6.10
Depth 74.8%
Table 72%
Girdle Med to Thick
Culet None
Polish v.good
Symm good
Clarity vs2
color g
Fluorescence Med Blue

Right one: GIA CERT
7.53 carat
12.72*10.13*6.39
Depth 63.1%
Table 77%
Girdle Med
Culet small
Polish v.good
Symm good
Clarity vs2
Color H
Fluorescence None

Thanks!!
twirl.gif
twirl.gif

MVC-024S.JPG

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
I know nothing about this cut - maybe you should check them against the cut advisors at AGA - their site - gemappraisers.com - has a do-it-yourself check I used in my search.

Just opinion wise, though, I like the bigger one - it looks more complex and elegant to me. As to it looking "fake" if it's too big, who cares! You know it's real, and if you enjoy wearing it, that's all that matters. Decisions, decisions . . .

Oh - one piece of unsolicited opinion - Personally, with what must be the cost of a 7 carat stone, I'd be inclined to choose the highest quality, highest clarity, best cut stone I could find for the price, and let the size fall where it may. I mean, 7 carats - can you really wear that to work, or every day? Or do you only intend to wear it on special ocassions? Just a thought.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I'm inclined to agree with Mikesgirl. I would look for a better quality stone. Neither of these is well cut. AGA chart for emerald cuts can be found at:

https://www.pricescope.com/tutor_fnc2.asp

Hope this is helpful. Best of luck whatever you choose!

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
I would choose neither of them. The length to width ratios are a personal choice; some people like them longer, some like a more square emerald cut. I would have a problem with the proportions (depth and table) of the first one, and while the second stone has a great depth, the table is just too huge. If you're going to spend the kind of money to get a 7 carat stone, go a little smaller and get a fantastic cut. Emerald cuts are not popular for their light return, but get one that is poorly cut and it's going to be a dead stone.

Good luck!

jenntheten

Rough_Rock
MY GOODNESS THOSE ARE HUGE! I'm not familiar with determining cut quality by a quick glance at the specs, but I'd have to agree with the others who say spend THAT kind of money on a GREAT quality cut!

What kind of setting are you considering?

Best of luck! Better start working up those left arm muscles!

1.gif

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't worry about the larger stone being too large, the question really is which one "speaks" to you .. which one do you like better?
loopy.gif

As for going with "better" quality, all I can say is that FOR ME, I rather have a slightly less perfect stone which NO ONE will be able to tell unless they walk around with a loop on their face, and have a bigger stone, as long as the stone, to the eye, looks amazing to you.
appl.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are both great and they have no outstanding technical 'issues', so your pleasure should prevail.

I buy colored stone rings, and choices there are not as easy as among diamonds (colors and cuts vary ,uch more, as you know
2.gif
). So, I wear (look at or consider, if wearing not posible, as it is for you now) each stone for some time (hours, as long as I am talking with the jeweler if I can't take the thing out for a walk, or a day if I can) without considering others and see how it feals! It works for me. Besides, each ring of yours is a good thing to own... so, really, all you should ever consider is how it feels on your finger and how much you regret the other one in the meantine
1.gif

Just a penny worth of a thought.

detta

Rough_Rock
They are both beautiful, however, you really need to do a lot of research before you purchase one. I just purchased an emerald cut and am still looking for side stones. It is just soooo tempting to buy a ring quickly and have it sized just to get it on your finger ASAP ( I did this and after 24 hours took it back realizing the mistake I had made!). This would be a huge mistake when you are obviously investing a large sum of money and have to wear it for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! I know it is nerve-racking, but do the research and have something you LOVE. Always go for the better quality stone. Trust me, you'll be able to see the difference. Also, for what it's worth, I always go for a GIA certified stone. Good luck and post more pics so we can drool!!!
appl.gif

Kali

Rough_Rock
The setting I am planning on is at www.cartier.com under ceremony jewelry. It would be the plain emerald as the center stone with baguettes going vertically down both sides of the band. Then, have a wedding band with vertical baguettes all the way around. One thing I am worried about is that the center stone will get in the way of letting the two bands meet flush up against each other.

I will add some more pics to let you see the two separately. Both of the stones are eye clean.

Thanks again for helping me make the decision!!
wavey.gif

I like the length:width ratio of this stone better.

MVC-019S.JPG

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/11/2003 1:47:54 PM Kali wrote:

Too big for my hand??
----------------

I don't think so at all...but I agree that the l:w ratio on the other one is better. It might look quite different once set in that cartier setting with the baguettes going down the sides.

Either way, enjoy!

XvOrlyBearvX

Rough_Rock
Its perfect for your hand!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 9/11/2003 1:47:54 PM Kali wrote:

Too big for my hand??
----------------
Hi Kali...

The diamond is not too big...I never knew size was an issue with women. I always thought the bigger the better...(Just Kidding) I prefer the last image you post because with the size of the accent stones in the 1st picture I think it draws away from the size of the center diamond in that ring. Both styles are very beautiful but when it comes to preference I like the look of the 2nd ring on your finger vs. the 1st...

Wow..Congratulations whatever yiou decide...

Whats the Occasion?

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results