shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose an e-w marquise setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

autumnlala

Rough_Rock
DBF has inherited a marquise, approx. 1.25 cts. It''s a nice stone but not all that sparkly so I definitely want some sidestones and perhaps a halo. Also I want to set it east-west, I feel like it updates the shape. I really like antique type settings so any of these would have some milgrain touches. Let me know what you think!!

autumnlala

Rough_Rock
First option: halo, similar to Jazmine''s (hope she doesn''t mind my posting her pic, it''s gorgeous!!). Not sure if this is too blingy. Mine would have diamonds on the top of the shank only, not the sides, and would be considerably smaller.

Jazmineonfinger.jpg

autumnlala

Rough_Rock
Second option-- no halo, just good sized sidestones on a ~ 3 mm band, cathedral setting. When I tried on rings in person, I really liked this idea, puts the focus on the center stone.

sidewaysnohalo.jpg

autumnlala

Rough_Rock
Third option: antiquey style setting. I have tried this on and loved it. Also good bang for the buck on this one as the diamonds are smaller.

Infinityhaloonmyhand.jpg

sera

Ideal_Rock
I love MAchick's setting by Greenlake...

MAchickside1.jpg

sera

Ideal_Rock
For a halo, I love the ones Leon does. Love the pink.

(Just imagine this set E-W).

Leon_pinkhalomarquis.jpg

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Autumnlala -- I love the e-w setting and you're right, in my opinion, it does totally update the shape.

I really like option # 1 or #3 ... They look great! Is it possible to get a clearer pic of #3?

I'm excited for you ... this should be a fun project!

eta -- Oops ... posted too soon ... you posted more pics!

I really like the look of MAchick's ring ...that is FAB!
Since you are doing a halo the Leon halo w/the e-w marquise would be incredible.

I'm just rereading my post and realizing that I have been of no help whatsoever ... I guess it would just be easier to say that they all look great!

Which one/s are you leaning towards?

autumnlala

Rough_Rock

I''ve tried posting a mfr. pic of #3 several times and got an error!

So, moving on to #4, the Ritani Endless Love, flipped sideways. I can''t get a good feel for how it would look sideways (Ritani will do it that way), and I need to try on another Endless Love to get a feeling for how thin the shank is. I think it may be too thin for me. And it''s the priciest of the bunch because you''re paying for their marketing.

Thoughts? Thanks for all who have weighed in so far! I love MA Chick''s but was afraid two prongs is not enough to hold it, I am hard on rings!!

RitaniMarquise2.jpg

autumnlala

Rough_Rock
Mfr. pic of #3

Infinitylinehalo4.jpg

autumnlala

Rough_Rock
Sparkalicious: Not sure what I''m leaning towards. I''ve only seen 2 on my hand so I''m kind of leaning towards those of course!!! I''ve always loved antique type settings, so I''m leaning towards #3. But I also really liked #2, even though it''s kind of simple.

The funny thing is that DBF is adamant that I not pick out the exact ring I get, so I am going to narrow it down and then let him make the final decision. I didn''t quite trust him to make the decision all on his own because I am VERY PICKY :) Or just particular :) I figure I don''t want to upgrade so I''d better like it the first time around. DBF''s only seen choice #2 (well, similar) and did really like it, hoping to go show him choice #3 sometime next week.

I am almost done researching and pulling quotes together and will hand it over to DBF shortly. Then I will have no idea when or what I will be getting!!! But I did want to tell him my favorite so I''m trying to decide what that is :)

I was kind of disappointed at first when he told me I couldn''t pick it out but now I am really happy with all the choices and the surprise will be fun. It''s also sweet that he really wants to be involved. We have very similar taste so no matter what he can''t go wrong.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2008 4:57:01 PM
Author: autumnlala
Sparkalicious: Not sure what I''m leaning towards. I''ve only seen 2 on my hand so I''m kind of leaning towards those of course!!! I''ve always loved antique type settings, so I''m leaning towards #3. But I also really liked #2, even though it''s kind of simple.

The funny thing is that DBF is adamant that I not pick out the exact ring I get, so I am going to narrow it down and then let him make the final decision. I didn''t quite trust him to make the decision all on his own because I am VERY PICKY :) Or just particular :) I figure I don''t want to upgrade so I''d better like it the first time around. DBF''s only seen choice #2 (well, similar) and did really like it, hoping to go show him choice #3 sometime next week.

I am almost done researching and pulling quotes together and will hand it over to DBF shortly. Then I will have no idea when or what I will be getting!!! But I did want to tell him my favorite so I''m trying to decide what that is :)

I was kind of disappointed at first when he told me I couldn''t pick it out but now I am really happy with all the choices and the surprise will be fun. It''s also sweet that he really wants to be involved. We have very similar taste so no matter what he can''t go wrong.
Thanks for the update! It can be so confusing and frustrating to become so indecisive, right?

I like the fact that because you are "meticulous" your bf will allow you to assist with the process but will not allow you to actually pick the ring you get. How fun! It''s going to be so exciting for you to wait to see what he chose. Heck, I can''t wait.

I''ve looked at the pics again, and again, and again ... okay enough about my disorder
25.gif
I really am drawn to the e-w Leon with the pink halo. I love it. It''s original and absolutely stunning. I think if I had to pick a fave, that would be it. Now, this being said, if you can get something like MAchick''s with 4 prongs, that might be the ultimate for you, right? Those 2 just do it for me but #1 and 3 are still gorgeous and will look lovely.

Are you going to get a chance to try any of the other one''s you like on? I''m thinking before you hand over your parcel of research to your bf, maybe you can include as many hand pics as possible but I''m guessing that you are already ahead of me and are doing that anyways.
28.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2008 5:15:38 PM
Author: Sparkalicious

Date: 1/29/2008 4:57:01 PM
Author: autumnlala

Thanks for the update! It can be so confusing and frustrating to become so indecisive, right?

I like the fact that because you are ''meticulous'' your bf will allow you to assist with the process but will not allow you to actually pick the ring you get. How fun! It''s going to be so exciting for you to wait to see what he chose. Heck, I can''t wait.

I''ve looked at the pics again, and again, and again ... okay enough about my disorder
25.gif
I really am drawn to the e-w Leon with the pink halo. I love it. It''s original and absolutely stunning. I think if I had to pick a fave, that would be it. Now, this being said, if you can get something like MAchick''s with 4 prongs, that might be the ultimate for you, right? Those 2 just do it for me but #1 and 3 are still gorgeous and will look lovely.

Are you going to get a chance to try any of the other one''s you like on? I''m thinking before you hand over your parcel of research to your bf, maybe you can include as many hand pics as possible but I''m guessing that you are already ahead of me and are doing that anyways.
28.gif
I wonder how many times the guys who love us PS chicks have to do this in self-defense. I mean, he would like to give it to you at some point. Some of us would still be looking well past when he wanted to propose.
11.gif
12.gif
9.gif
31.gif

shay

autumnlala

Rough_Rock
Sparkalicious: Looks like we''re going to have go custom or at least semi-custom because of the way I want it set (there are v. v. few stock e-w settings and haven''t found one yet that meets all my requirements), so I probably won''t get to see anything like the final product on my hand. But I''ve tried on some similar things so will be able to give DBF some hand photos that give him at least an idea.

Shay37: Your thoughts are hilarious. I have only been looking at styles since I found out it was a marquise on Christmas (only one month), so I don''t think I''ve done too badly, but I had looked for months and months before that when I thought the diamond was going to be round... this does force someone (not me!) to make a decision :)

The one B&M store I''ve been to with DBF was quite an experience though-- we looked at tons of options and found one setting we both really liked (similar to #2) and got a high pressure sales pitch as we said no thank you for right now, we''re going to keep looking. The saleslady practically locked the door, saying to DBF, "she''s very particular, if you don''t buy this today, you may never find another setting she likes!!!"

Also, I''ve been working with Bob at Whiteflash, who suggested another style that I think is very close to what I have in my head-- similar to the TIffany Legacy but obviously squished for my marquise. Not quite so blingy as #1 but still has a halo, with the simple clean lines that appealed to me about #2:

LegacyWF.jpg

Uptown_Girl

Rough_Rock
Oh wow, I love MAchick''s!! That''s gorgeous. But I also really like the Whiteflash take on the Lucida and Leon''s pink version. It''s such a different setting than most out there right now, I really don''t think you can go wrong here!

Good luck...

Uptown_Girl

Rough_Rock
I mean "Legacy" not "Lucida"...kind of difficult to confuse the two but I managed. Too distracted by all the pretty pictures!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I REALLY love MAchick''s. Greenlake does SUCH beautiful work.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results