shape
carat
color
clarity

My Old and Improved RHR!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Wow, this is my first ever SMTR topic where I actually have something of my own to show!! Here is my newly fixed up RHR!

Some background: My family has a tradition for girls to receive a ring on their 16th birthday. This was my 16th birthday ring: 4 pearls (my birthstone) surrounded by 16 diamonds in an antique Victorian yellow gold setting. My mom found the ring when I was around 10 or 11 and knew it was the "one" and I received it for my 16th.

I know NOTHING about the specs. The pearls have had to be replaced quite a bit over the years, as was the shank once since the gold had worn thin on the back side. It's 14k YG(?) The melee diamonds are not all uniform size--the ones on the "sides" of the rectangle shape are smaller, but I can't really estimate--perhaps it's a combo of 1 and 2 pointers? No clue. Most of them are lovely and sparkly, though there are 1 or 2 that are pretty dim/dark. Again, no clue if they're full-cut, single-cut, whatever. When my mom bought it in '84 or '85 it was around $650 and was confirmed to be an antique.

I wore it on my left hand ring finger for YEARS...even into college & beyond, at which point it was kind of cool because it had enough e/w-ring-ish sparkle that it served as a helpful little deterrent at bars and such if I didn't want to be hit on!! I stopped wearing it regularly around 5 years ago, because 1) I wasn't into yellow gold anymore, and 2) in my mid-late 20s it seemed silly to wear a non e-ring on that hand with a long-term boyfriend....it was either going to be an e-ring when I was ready for one (wasn't then, am now!), or nothing at all! So it sadly languished in my jewelry box unworn!

I finally decided--after almost a year of PS warping my sad little brain--that my HSN fakeys weren't going to cut it and that I needed some REAL sparkle of my own!!! So I went back in to our family jeweler and we had this baby sized up for my right hand (it's now 6 3/4), dipped in Rhodium so it's more like WG in appearance (of course, it'll fade eventually, but it's only worn occasionally,) and had the pearls replaced again.

I took an INSANE amount of photos: chubby hand shots, flower shots, poodle shots, etc. I combined most into collages b/c I don't want to bore everyone to tears, but here is my new(old) 16th b-day RHR...as good as new 15 years later!!
9.gif

yellowrose.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Throwing some sparkles with Tessa in the background. (And one strange little still life of the ring on a yellow tomato!!)

tessatomato.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Last one:

Buddah says, "what''d I say about eschewing material possessions?? Yeah, that was before I discovered PS!! Yay sparklies!!"

buddahring.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, I love your improved RHR, and looks like Tessa loves it too!!! It''s gorgeous and so are all your pics!!!
30.gif
36.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Aw, thanks Lisa!!!
35.gif

Miss Tessa was a little confused by the whole thing--I tried to get her to hold still with the ring on her paw but she wasn''t having it! This was a fun little project--I am just in AWE of how hard it is to get good pictures!! I know everyone has always said it on here, but WOW, it is hard. I used macro and no flash and still maybe only 1 of 5 was any good!!

Thanks very much--it makes me happy that I can actually wear it now and that I have something pretty to hand down to a daughter, niece or goddaughter someday
30.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
What a sweet tradition your family has!
I love the dainty sweet ring as well.
It looks like it has been much loved over its lifetime.

Congratulations on posting your 1st topic (ring) in SMTR.
It will be quite the celebrated day on PS when Ms. Blue Roses becomes officially engaged!
2.gif

I for one can''t wait to see what you get.

Scintillating...

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thanks very much, Scintillating!!!
1.gif
1.gif

I love the tradition too--my sister has a sweet Victorian YG/Ruby ring b/c she''s a July baby, so I hope one of us has girls (she has 2 boys) so it will continue!!

Date: 10/13/2005 5:48:18 PM
Author: Scintillating

It will be quite the celebrated day on PS when Ms. Blue Roses becomes officially engaged!
2.gif

I for one can''t wait to see what you get.
Aw, thanks darlin''....you and me both, sistah!!!
2.gif
2.gif
Let''s hope it''s closer to girl-soon!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
What a fantastic ring! Its beautiful!
30.gif
Buddha is pretty cute with his "crown"

Maybe your diamonds are single cut...? My wedding band has single cuts in it and they sparkle most of the time, but if you hold it at just the right angle they go dead black. I figured it was carbon, but when i had my ring appraised they were grouped as G-H VS1-2, so i asked why they would go black. Since they dont have as many facets to bounce light back, when i see the black im actually looking at the metal of my ring. Thought that was kinda cool.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thank you NJC!!! I hope I''ve told you before how much I
emlove.gif
your wedding set too!!

That is a good point re: single-cut....you could be right, that is a pretty good description of what some of the stones do at certain angles. I need to read up on that!!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I love your story and your ring. Good for you for getting it back out. I love it with the white gold. It looks very antique to me in that color. I don''t know why, but I don''t think of yg as antique looking.
20.gif
It''s like it just existed from the 80s on. (then again, I can be a dope)

Again, I really love your ring, and your pics are very good as well.

Shay

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, it''s just beautiful!!! There''s nothing like an antique ring. So glad you were able to "recycle" it--it looks great on your hand!

widget

Ideal_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS Blueroses on your first SMTR thread, and even more important, getting that beautiful ring refurbished and out of retirement! It''s just lovely...
30.gif

BTW...great assortment of pictures..(especially happy Tessa)...but most of all I''m totally drawn to your closeups of your dried wedding bouquet. I think you should take some more, blow them up, mat them, frame them, and then sell them as impressionist masterpieces!

Then, of course, use your proceeds to get a few more sparkly baubles!
3.gif

widget

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Aww, thank you Widget!!

Now that''s an idea I like....making my obsessive bling-loving pictures PAY!!!
11.gif
11.gif

I have several old bridesmaid bouquets dried together....I know it''s supposed to be bad feng shui to keep dead flowers around, but they''re PRETTY!!...and I also really liked the look of the ring w/ them!

I LOVE PS!!!! Thanks gals for all of the sweet comments!!
1.gif
1.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
such a pretty ring, blueroses! I''m glad you''re going to be able to wear it again since it''s all fixed up
36.gif

I think Tessa should get a blingy collar until your bf gets you your e-ring
9.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It''s SO pretty, blueroses!
30.gif

Sometimes it''s nice to re-discover something that you haven''t worn in a while!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
blueroses-

i love old pieces that have so much meaning... it looks lovely!!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Blueroses, I love the pearls in your RHR!!! Your dog is adorable too!!!
30.gif
30.gif

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
It''s so pretty!!! I love your family''s tradition.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Oh!!
30.gif
LOVE IT! What a cool tradition and I''m glad you''ve taken it out of early retirement!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s so awesome and unique - LOVE the buddha shot of the ring. I''m glad you could retool it and make it ''yours'' again in an updated way but still retain the heirloom quality look of it!

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
That is so neat! What a unique design!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha how very cute BR!! Looks great on the hand! I adore the ring in the yellow roses, those complement it very well I think...it looks so spakly and white in there!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results