shape
carat
color
clarity

Look - "Small but Mighty" JA step-cut in BE setting

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I received this ring about two weeks ago - the 0.50ct F-VS1 stone is from James Allen, and the setting was done by Brillliantly Engaged based on their hand-forged "floating basket" setting.

Here's the link to the JA listing for this stone, so you can see the video - http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/0.50-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-420607 - about 6 weeks ago I was browsing through JA one morning and spied this little firecracker (weirdly JA had it in the Radiant section even though the GIA report says it is a "cut-cornered square step-cut") and I immediately jumped onto LiveChat to arrange to buy it - I didn't even bother with an Aset; I thought on the very slim chance the stone did not live up to the video, I'd just return it. But once I laid eyes on the diamond, I was hooked - it is wonderful combo of step-cut, fire, and brilliance.

I knew right away I wanted a very simple solitaire setting for this little guy (only 4.6mm square!), and I also knew immediately I would work with Brilliantly Engaged as they have a number of delicate solitaire settings that I adore. I went with their hand-forged "floating basket" setting as I thought it would scale down nicely to complement my little diamond. In the end, the shank is I think 1.65mm, but despite its dainty look, it feels strong and sturdy. I am really amazed at the teeny tiny prongs! Oh, and ring size is 7.

I know setting a 4.6mm asscher as a solitaire runs counter to a lot of PS posts recommending not to go smaller than 5mm if you want to see distinct steps, but this particular diamond is really so well-cut that even at this small size I can see the step cuts and enjoy the fiery and flashy nature of this cut.

(Interestingly, in this case, the setting was very slightly more expensive than the diamond - the diamond would have been $5 more than the setting but for the JA member discount)

Here's a couple pics Chris/BE kindly provided to me, which really manage to show both the setting and the steps, and I'll put my candid shots in the next post...

mmr1.jpg

mmr2.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here are some of my pics:

love this first shot because you can also see the peacock blue BE ring box!

dsc03138_-_ps.jpg

dsc03165_-_ps.jpg

dsc03173_-_ps.jpg

dsc03172_-_ps.jpg

so, I'm really loving this ring - it is small but mighty!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's gorgeous! :appl:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Re: Look - "Small but Mighty" JA step-cut in BE setting

Love it! [emoji7]

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you daintyG, diamondseeker2006, Acinom, m-2-b, Tuckins1, rubybeth, JoCoJenn, Laila619, CRYSTAL24K, and Rubies-R-Me - I am so gratified all of you also enjoy my pretty little ring!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Simply stunning! I love the setting you chose & it's fun to see the BE ring box too! What a great find from JA! :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bah! You were the one who bought that stone! I remember it well as it was a stunner. This is a beauty!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful!! :love:

mns12

Shiny_Rock
Classic beauty! Cool stone and the setting is perfect. Great example of size isn't everything:)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bbziggy, Rockinruby, Niel, kathley, mochiko42, ­_lovesvintage_, Catmom, mns12, and pearaffair - thank you!

It is funny, when the ring is not on my finger (as soon as I get home I take off and put away all my jewelry) I tend to think of it as even smaller than it actually is, so each time I do put it back on my finger, I am pleasantly reminded that for a half-carat, this step-cut really has a good presence.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, it's really pretty! Just goes to prove that beautiful things come in small packages!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats Mary, Beautiful ring ! ... :appl: :love:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, that is so gorgeous marymm! :love: Beautiful diamond, and a very elegant look, SO pretty!

azeusa

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful, beautiful stone!!!! "Small but mighty" indeed. Well-cut asschers are just *sigh* so stunning.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results