shape
carat
color
clarity

How many carats?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChloeSinclaire

Rough_Rock
I recieved this engagement ring and am curious about the carats. It was my fiance's grandmother's ring, so he doesn't know either. It is inscribed with "14k" on the inside of the ring but that's all we know.

Would greatly appreciate some help with this!

Email me directly at [email protected] with the subject line "how many carats" or something like that. Thank you!

Chloe Sinclaire
read.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
14k just refers to the quality of the gold, not the weight of the diamond. (Diamonds are measured in carats (with a c), gold in karats (with a k).) From the info you gave, nobody could ever guess how big the stone is.

Can you post a picture of the ring? Also, how wide across is the top of the diamond, in milimeters? That will help people give you a very, very rough guess as to the size of your stone.

To know for sure, take it to an appraiser.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20581

The above thread I have saved on my favourites, it shows a chart for round diamond sizes. Ofcourse, carat weight is just that weight so it would also depend on the depth of the stone. The diameters listed are probably for ideal cut diamonds of that size.

ChloeSinclaire

Rough_Rock
I apprectiate your help. For some reason every time I try and upload the picture it says there was an error. I'll keep trying though!
sick.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Chloe, the following may prove helpful as well.

http://www.ringdesigner.com/Pages/Understanding_Diamonds.htm

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 9/7/2003 12:37:52 PM ChloeSinclaire wrote:

I recieved this engagement ring and am curious about the carats. It was my fiance's grandmother's ring, so he doesn't know either. It is inscribed with "14k" on the inside of the ring but that's all we know.

Would greatly appreciate some help with this!

Email me directly at [email protected] with the subject line "how many carats" or something like that. Thank you!

Chloe Sinclaire
read.gif

----------------

Chloe Sinclaire,

Well what a wonderful gift receiving something that has been passed down through the family throughout the years. I would reccommend getting it appraised so you may get the particulars on the stone. If you are not comfortable getting it appraised I would at least talk to a local jeweler who might be able to give you some specifics without going into detail..

Regards...

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results