carat
color
clarity

Floral, Antique, Project, in the works!

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi ladies :wavey:
I have started my "ultimate" engagement ring upgrade project, finally. But a little (not so little) back story first, and then some preliminary photos to follow :naughty: ...so if you don't want to read scroll down for some initial photos, I will be back with more as the project continues.

LONG STORY/baring my soul...
I have over about ten years, accumulated (bought/gifted) a substantial about of gold and diamond/gemstone jewelry which I never wear, and a handful (8) loose diamonds of varying quality all under .50ct which I haven't ever done anything with. In the past I have sold some small pieces of jewelry to put money towards various other pieces, but not a whole lot of quality as I tend to spend small amounts often instead of saving and spending a little more on nicer items, basically I'm an impulsive shopper. I've started RHR or pendant projects with some of the loose stones, even going so far as to have wax molds made with Patrick Irla, but have yet to follow through. After some time I realized that I have so much jewelry but none that really speaks to my heart, nothing that I can't live without. Even my original engagement ring has some sentimental value but was chosen pre-pricescope and was the nicest one my DH and I could afford at Zales at the time :errrr: When my DH and I finally started talking about beginning a family I reflected on how much time and money I have wasted on my jewelry obsession. So I went a very long time (about a year) without spending any money on my habit, not even costume jewelry. After having many difficulties, and many months of trying to conceive without success, I was very down in the dumps. After DH watched me become so melancholy he suggested I buy myself something nice. I thought why waste when I already have so much I don't wear. Then I got angry at myself and scooped up the first five rings that I haven't worn in over a year went to pawn shop and sold them. Afterwards I realized that was probably the stupidest thing I could have done. So I contemplated on my actions and realized that I had the right idea but poor execution. I went back to my jewelry box and took stock of everything I own. After setting aside an emerald ring, sapphire ring, diamond RHR, solitaire pendant, diamond studs, a gemstone pendant, and my engagement ring, I still had a large amount of jewelry left. So I began the liquidation process. I sold everything, some to friends, some to co-workers, some online, until it was all gone. I felt much better, I had a lighter conscious. I debated on what to do with the money, save it, put it towards Christmas gifts for family, etc. But I didn't want to. This was years and years of my previous gems that I spent so much time obsessing over all lumped into a small pile of cash. So I did nothing with it. One night I was having dinner with the in-laws when my MIL brought up that her wedding band that was over thirty-five years old had finally cracked and was going to cost a decent amount to rebuild the shank. She said she and FIL discussed it and after some tears she was going to get a new wedding set. Immediately my instincts kicked in and I started giving her all my recommendations. Recommendations that I had never used myself. I realized that I wanted a wedding set that I would cry over replacing 50 years from now, or never want to replace. Suddenly I knew what to do with my little pile of cash. I had $1,500 plus my original engagement ring for trade, which wouldn't be much as DH and I only spent $1,000 on it to begin with. I started with finding a setting that would speak to me. I looked at EVERYTHING, Beverly K, Tacori, and Kirk Kara were among my favorites, but I realized I was picking those designers because they all have a vintage floral feel, but for me it was not what I was looking for. FINALLY on pinterest of all places I saw a ring that got my interest. I followed the link to Anjays Designs on etsy and was IN LOVE! After putting together my ideal setting inspired by his designs I went to my jewelry store of choice to talk shop. 5th Avenue Designs in Cherry Creek North is a wonderful place with trusted people there to help me, they had done all my appraisals and clean my jewels on regular basis. The three stone setting was going to cost me $1,400 not including the three center stones, and they were going to give me $700 trade for my original engagement ring. This left me $800 for my diamonds. I knew I wanted an OMC or an OEC. So I searched, everywhere. Finally I found my diamond on eBay. An OEC, .46ct, H, VS2, no fluorescence, GIA certed, that looked like a perfect flower ready to bloom. At only $600 I had $200 left which I used for two OMC's at .21ct and .22ct (both J, I1, no certs) for the side stones.

So all my pieces are in place, I should have a CAD from the jeweler sometime next week so I'll come back with that when It's ready. For now I have seller photos of the center stone and photos from Anjays that are the inspiration for my setting. My new engagement ring will be done in 14k rose and green gold. Everything will be in rose gold except the leaves in green gold. The two flowers one on each side will be made to hold the side stones. The half halo will be made with E-H, VS1-VS2, accent diamonds, and there will be three .05ct diamonds flush set on the inside of the shank at 3,6, and 9:00. The center stone will be held with claw prongs. I CAN HARDLY WAIT!! :love:

615934636_o.jpg

615934675_o.jpg

il_24.jpg

il_25.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! I'm very excited for you and can't wait to watch as you dream ring develops!!

fogdancer

Shiny_Rock
Wow a a babe you chose! :Up_to_something:
Lovely I love Anjay's design.

As done please post lots of handshots. :twirl:

Hugs

Monica

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW!! That will be spectacular!! Lovely back story - I enjoy the history behind how things came to be... Thanks for sharing! And very excited to follow this along!

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love this design. Very beautiful! Can't wait to see hand shots :)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS! What a great story. Happy you found a great looking OMC and will soon have the ring of your dreams! Can't wait to see your final ring!

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful design :love: I love floral themes in jewellery and will watch this thread with interest...

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone! :appl:
I'm very excited as well. It feels good to not only have my jewelry box cleaned out, but to finally follow through on creating my dream ring. I already feel an extrodinary amount of attachement to both my setting and especially my main OEC stone and it's not even done yet. :cheeky:
Can't wait to share more pictures!! I hope they have the CAD done sooner in the week rather than later so I have something to look at, and I'll be posting it right away.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty... and yes, I have seen this design on etsy as well. Can't wait to see finger shots! :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! How very unique! I can't wait to see the CADs!!! :appl:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh WOW! What a masterpiece!! Oooooh I cannot wait to see the finished ring!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh! I've seen the CAD's on etsy before! You will have to post the finished product, as I've never seen something completed from them!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
sounds lovely and cant wait to see the hand shots!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is great how much thought you've put into it. For a minute there, when you were describing being dinner with your MIL and she started to cry about her own set breaking I thought you were going to say that you gave her your hard-earned savings! I was going to shout "Nooooo" in the hopes that you could hear me! :lol:

Great job on the diamonds and I look forward to seeing the finished ring.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous setting! I love how feminine it is, delicate but substantial at the same time. I'm happy that after years of not quite having it exactly right, you've found what makes your heart sing. :))

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
OMG~! This is certainly a very unique project. I agreed with having one that hold the most significant ring.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a beautiful design and your diamond is gorgeous!! :love: Can't wait to see pics of the finished ring.

Can I ask why you decided to go with a different jeweler rather than just having Anjays Designs make the ring, since they created it? Nothing wrong with that but it seems like so often around here people try to have their jewelers create other vendors designs and end up being disappointed... Just don't want that to happen to you! But it sounds like you've worked with this jeweler before and have been pleased...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rissa,
I am also curious why you did not go with Anjay since that shop has experience executing that design. I was actually hoping to see what Anjay's workmanship is like. It's beautiful and I can't wait to see it come to fruition. Do you mind sharing who's the bench making your ring?

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
justginger said:
What a gorgeous setting! I love how feminine it is, delicate but substantial at the same time. I'm happy that after years of not quite having it exactly right, you've found what makes your heart sing. :))

+1!

Can't wait to see the finished ring!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
That is going to be really beautiful and very unique. I love floral designs and things that are a little different.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How lovely! Looking forward to seeing the finished ring!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Like Freke and Chrono I have been curious about Anjay and want to see a "real" ring. I even emailed Anjay and suggested that to the vendor!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous, can't wait to see the real thing in your finger!

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Wow what an incredible looking ring! You must be so excited to see it in the flesh!! :appl:

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1352707314|3303850 said:
It is great how much thought you've put into it. For a minute there, when you were describing being dinner with your MIL and she started to cry about her own set breaking I thought you were going to say that you gave her your hard-earned savings! I was going to shout "Nooooo" in the hopes that you could hear me! :lol:

Great job on the diamonds and I look forward to seeing the finished ring.

LOL! No my small funds are a very small budget compared to my MIL's otherwise I probably would have given it to her if she needed it :) I'll have to come back and share her's though too when she decides what she wants. And thanks!

For the people who asked as far as why I chose my home jeweler (5th avenue designs) instead of Anjays... It's a very good question and I did put a lot of consideration into it when it came down to the positives and negatives. In the end I preferred to be able to see things in person, my jeweler is literally minutes from where I work. I have a history with them so I'm sure of their quality and they will take care of lifetime maintenance for free including stone replacement and sizing. They are giving me a very good trade value, and a free appraisal for insurance purposes.

Based on feedback and design quality I do truly believe that Anjays would be an amazing designer to go through and anybody would be happy with him, it just wasn't the right choice for me. That being said I do respect creative ownership and made sure to include enough unique details about my piece to not replicate his work exactly, the finished project will be different and unique for me.

And thank you to everyone, I'm so happy to have such positive feedback, I'm so excited!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A charming ring indeed - can't wait to see it on your hand. Very excited for you!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
RissaLou|1352757600|3304701 said:
For the people who asked as far as why I chose my home jeweler (5th avenue designs) instead of Anjays... It's a very good question and I did put a lot of consideration into it when it came down to the positives and negatives. In the end I preferred to be able to see things in person, my jeweler is literally minutes from where I work. I have a history with them so I'm sure of their quality and they will take care of lifetime maintenance for free including stone replacement and sizing. They are giving me a very good trade value, and a free appraisal for insurance purposes.

Based on feedback and design quality I do truly believe that Anjays would be an amazing designer to go through and anybody would be happy with him, it just wasn't the right choice for me. That being said I do respect creative ownership and made sure to include enough unique details about my piece to not replicate his work exactly, the finished project will be different and unique for me.

That's definitely understandable and I'm sure it will be a gorgeous ring once it's complete!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results