shape
carat
color
clarity

Would rather wait awhile to upgrade but should I do it now?

ImVotingForSparkles

Rough_Rock
Hi folks,

I am thinking of upgrading and would rather do it in a couple years when I have more discretionary income to throw around, but with diamond prices being low, I was wondering if I should do it now. What do you think? Do you think prices will go up dramatically in 2 years or so?

Thanks for the advice!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Would rather wait awhile to upgrade but should I do it n

No one can predict what will happen in the next 2 years but my advice is go for as good a diamond you can afford right now while the prices are low. We only know what is right now and it is a good time to purchase diamonds from what I can see re prices. My friend just got an amazing deal on a gorgeous diamond that 5 years ago would have been impossible.

Good luck!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1485293856|4119214 said:
No one can predict what will happen in the next 2 years but my advice is go for as good a diamond you can afford right now while the prices are low.

Ditto, and purchase from a vendor with a good trade-in/upgrade policy so that in a couple years, should discretionary funds be more plentiful, you'll be able to go up even more should DSS sets in. :naughty:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Prices may go down too. Would you be able to get what you paid for the stone if upgrading now? Some PSers have been unable to get 100% because prices went down.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Assuming you are dealing with a REPUTABLE vendor with flexible upgrading policy, do it now. This is because

1. if diamond price goes up, you win
2. if diamond price goes down, you can still win by doing another upgrade

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I agree with the others that none of us know the future of diamond prices and who said to buy now from a vendor with a good upgrade/buyback policy. That's assuming you don't have to go into debt to do so. I would never recommend someone go into debt on an upgrade - even if prices are low.

ImVotingForSparkles

Rough_Rock

Thanks, guys!

I need to spend 2x the amount of my original ring and I'll get credited back the full amount I paid (it was purchased at the end of 2014).

Original ring is 2 carats, I'm thinking of going up to 2.8-3. I doubt I'd upgrade again since I'd be a little self-conscious in my crowd going much over 3 but never say never!

Oh and there's no concern about going into debt over it but there's that "what if" in me saying what if prices keep going down for awhile.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results