shape
carat
color
clarity

Vatche lifetime warranty: details?

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
I'm having a hard time locating any details on the Vatche lifetime warranty. I've read on various posts that it includes resizing, repairing, and polishing. Does anyone have a link they can point me to? Does the warranty include re-plating white gold? Thanks in advance for any info.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call a Vatche dealer and ask. Or call Vatche themselves. And get it in writing, or get the website where it states the warranty, and keep a copy of the page for your records.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I have a Vatche setting and that has never even crossed my mind once. If you get the ring and it is made right, then that's all you need to worry about. I simply cannot think of a reason I would need a warranty after that.

Oh and it certainly would not include replating the white gold. It would cost you a lot more in shipping to send it to Vatche to do that than to have it done locally. Routine maintenance like replating can be done at any fine jeweler. You don't send a ring back to the manufacturer for that.

Warranties are more of an issue with a ring with a lot of pave in the event of lost stones, but even then, it can be more trouble to send the ring back to the manufacturer when a jeweler can often easily fix those kinds of things.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info. My understanding is that only Vatche can work on the ring, otherwise the warranty is void. I will call to verify, just figured the details would be posted somewhere. I'm local, so shipping woudn't be an issue.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS I disagree. Will post more tomorrow.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
I just got off the phone with Vatche... They confirmed that they need to work on the ring... They also confirmed they would cover re-plating! :appl:

ETA: I was also informed that they would have an issue regarding over-polishing. So I wouldn't take the ring anywhere, other than for simple cleaning, unless you're not concerned with voiding the warranty.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, what kind of setting are you buying, first of all? I have had rings for over 30 years, and my original ring needed the prongs retipped after about 25. Local jeweler did it. Sized once...you don't send a ring to the manufacturer to be resized unless it is an ornate ring that might be ruined (Tacori comes to mind) if anyone else did it. But I'd think you'd pay for resizing. Can't think of any other "work" a ring would need unless you plan on upgrading the diamond and want Vatche to replace the head for a larger stone. In that case, yes, send it to them, but you will pay for that because remaking the setting isn't part of the warranty.

A warranty is mainly to cover defects in the setting. I think you are unlikely to have defects that you can't see at the outset in a Vatche setting. But if you are getting one of their halo settings, I can see asking the question in relation to whether Vatche or the jeweler will replace stones that are lost. No one is going to cover wear and tear such as if she hits the ring on a door or something.

Just looked back to see that you were the one who wants the U-113 set super high. I have already given you my thoughts on that, but please don't expect Vatche to cover problems you experience from having the stone set that high. I see nothing to worry about with a plain solitaire setting from Vatche in regard to their warranty. I've never heard of a defective Vatche setting and a solitaire would be the least to worry about. However, I recommend platinum over white gold.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1342707542|3236572 said:
Okay, what kind of setting are you buying, first of all? I have had rings for over 30 years, and my original ring needed the prongs retipped after about 25. Local jeweler did it. Sized once...you don't send a ring to the manufacturer to be resized unless it is an ornate ring that might be ruined (Tacori comes to mind) if anyone else did it. But I'd think you'd pay for resizing. Can't think of any other "work" a ring would need unless you plan on upgrading the diamond and want Vatche to replace the head for a larger stone. In that case, yes, send it to them, but you will pay for that because remaking the setting isn't part of the warranty.

A warranty is mainly to cover defects in the setting. I think you are unlikely to have defects that you can't see at the outset in a Vatche setting. But if you are getting one of their halo settings, I can see asking the question in relation to whether Vatche or the jeweler will replace stones that are lost. No one is going to cover wear and tear such as if she hits the ring on a door or something.

Just looked back to see that you were the one who wants the U-113 set super high. I have already given you my thoughts on that, but please don't expect Vatche to cover problems you experience from having the stone set that high. I see nothing to worry about with a plain solitaire setting from Vatche in regard to their warranty. I've never heard of a defective Vatche setting and a solitaire would be the least to worry about. However, I recommend platinum over white gold.

DS, I appreciate your feedback, but you are jumping to some conclusions. We are not getting the stone set super-high, as a direct result of yours and others advice. Your statement about re-sizing is also incorrect. Re-sizing will most certainly void the warranty. You may have missed my earlier comments, but in addition to defects, Vatche will also cover re-plating, re-sizing, polishing, etc.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/resizing-gone-bad.11269/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/resizing-gone-bad.11269/[/URL]
"I am also posting this becuase Dvatche insist any resizing needed to be done with a dvatche setting needs to be done by Dvatche..Now I know why...."

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A designer warranty is as good as the dealer that sells it. Many times the dealer themselves will take care of issues. That is my experience with many designers and warranties.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so why I disagree. If Vatche is anything like Scott Kay, here's what my input is:

If anyone other than Scott Kay works on the ring, my warranty is voided.
If my ring needs polishing I can go to ANY Scott Kay dealer (no need to send it back to Pearlmans, my local dealer is just fine) and they will send it in for me and it comes back all perfect and new. It is either free, or I pay for shipping (nominal fee usually 20 bucks or less, which is cheaper than paying for polishing locally).

So, I would not have anyone else work on the ring if there is a local Vatche dealer that can send your ring in to Vatche when you need touch ups or plating. I would just call Vatche and ask them what they normally do with plating and other upkeep issues. And then I would get that person’s email, send them a follow up that recaps what they told you. And print out a copy for your records in case there is any question.

My Scott Kay pieces always go back to Scott Kay and they are VERY good about supporting their products.

Anyone buying a brand name setting with a warranty should ALWAYS find out what their manufacturer’s warranty covers. With cast rings, porosity could cause fragility and if the ring has been cosmetically fixed with a laser welder, it could still have internal issues that come up 5 years after wear that aren ‘t apparent when you first get the ring (and even an appraiser may not be able to spot a potential issue). So there is no point in voiding your warranty for repair by going to your local place for replating. Just send it back to the manufacturer and keep your warranty.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
As we saw recently with the poster who had her Whiteflash ring sized elsewhere and get botched, I think it's worth it to send the ring back to the original maker to do these upkeep things. Anyone can check prongs, clean the ring, or whatever, but I wouldn't let anyone other than Whiteflash re-rhodium, size, or otherwise modify my rings from them in any way. Also, WF did the re-size for free, plus polished out some noticeable scratches at no cost except shipping it to them. Worth it to me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TrialnError|1342708897|3236587 said:

DS, I appreciate your feedback, but you are jumping to some conclusions. We are not getting the stone set super-high, as a direct result of yours and others advice. Your statement about re-sizing is also incorrect. Re-sizing will most certainly void the warranty. You may have missed my earlier comments, but in addition to defects, Vatche will also cover re-plating, re-sizing, polishing, etc.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/resizing-gone-bad.11269/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/resizing-gone-bad.11269/[/URL]
"I am also posting this becuase Dvatche insist any resizing needed to be done with a dvatche setting needs to be done by Dvatche..Now I know why...."

Well, good, I did not see you post about changing your mind about the high setting so that was the last thing I read. However, I said nothing about resizing having anything to do with a warranty either way. But I can see sending to Vatche for sizing before I can see sending a ring every year to NY for rhodium plating or polishing because you can have that done almost anywhere. Those are just routine maintenance and are inexpensive and don't require a ring to be sent back to the manufacturer.

But anyway, you surely are free to send the ring to NY for maintenance if you wish. I will just tell you that most of us do routine maintenance (plating, checking prongs, polishing, etc.) locally. (I believe Gypsy's Scott Kay band has diamonds, and that is a little different considering you would want to be sure you were covered for loss of stones.)

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1342732474|3236801 said:
TrialnError|1342708897|3236587 said:

Well, good, I did not see you post about changing your mind about the high setting so that was the last thing I read. However, I said nothing about resizing having anything to do with a warranty either way. But I can see sending to Vatche for sizing before I can see sending a ring every year to NY for rhodium plating or polishing because you can have that done almost anywhere. Those are just routine maintenance and are inexpensive and don't require a ring to be sent back to the manufacturer.

But anyway, you surely are free to send the ring to NY for maintenance if you wish. I will just tell you that most of us do routine maintenance (plating, checking prongs, polishing, etc.) locally. (I believe Gypsy's Scott Kay band has diamonds, and that is a little different considering you would want to be sure you were covered for loss of stones.)

Thanks for the feedback, DS, Gypsy, Ruby and DB. Just to clarify, having the ring re-plated or re-sized anywhere other than Vatche will void the warranty. I confirmed this today, directly with Vatche.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
TrialnError|1342733257|3236811 said:
Thanks for the feedback, DS, Gypsy, Ruby and DB. Just to clarify, having the ring re-plated or re-sized anywhere other than Vatche will void the warranty. I confirmed this today, directly with Vatche.

I don't think anyone is doubting that having the work done elsewhere will void your warranty, what I think diamondseeker was saying (and I apologize for putting words in her mouth) is that for many of us, we don't care lol. My set came with a lifetime warranty, but there isn't a location within 8 hours of me. Mine was actually voided within 6 months of purchase because to maintain the warranty, they wanted to have it inspected every 6 months and I frankly didn't care to do that. For simple examination or re-plating, I would have to pay to mail it off, pay to have it insured, and be without it for 2 weeks at a time. I'd rather just pay $20 to have it re-plated locally. Now, as has been mentioned, if you don't have a trusted jeweler in your area, or if you have a complicated piece, then by all means stick with sending it off to Vatch, but for many of us, having insurance on our piece in case it is damaged and just going to somewhere local for small stuff is sufficient.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane, you can put words in my mouth anytime. ;))

Go with platinum and that will save you the hassle of the rhodium plating especially if you're spending money to ship the ring to Vatche every year to have that done "free"!

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1342734525|3236829 said:

Go with platinum and that will save you the hassle of the rhodium plating especially if you're spending money to ship the ring to Vatche every year to have that done "free"!

I'm local, so shipping is not an issue. Hoping it doesn't need to be re-plated every year, but if it does, I'm relieved Vatche will cover it. Thanks for all the replies, I'm sure others will benefit from the comments posted herein.

Sonny- Requiring inspection every six months seems like a burdensome stipulation and I don't blame you for voiding your warranty.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TrialnError|1342735711|3236845 said:

I'm local, so shipping is not an issue. Hoping it doesn't need to be re-plated every year, but if it does, I'm relieved Vatche will cover it. Thanks for all the replies, I'm sure others will benefit from the comments posted herein.

Well, now THAT is totally different! :lol: If you are local to Vatche, then certainly have them do everything! (Need for replating has a lot to do with body chemistry and wear. Some people need it done more than once a year and others may be able to go a few years)

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1342735893|3236849 said:

Well, now THAT is totally different! :lol: If you are local to Vatche, then certainly have them do everything! (Need for replating has a lot to do with body chemistry and wear. Some people need it done more than once a year and others may be able to go a few years)

Thanks DS! You might have missed it, but I mentioned it in my first reply to you (4th post). I really appreciate your input and all the others that have been steering me in the right direction!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TrialnError|1342736171|3236854 said:
diamondseeker2006|1342735893|3236849 said:

Thanks DS! You might have missed it, but I mentioned it in my first reply to you (4th post). I really appreciate your input and all the others that have been steering me in the right direction!

Oh gosh, maybe if I slow down and read all the posts, I won't miss important information! Sorry! :twirl: Multitasking isn't always my strong suit! I am getting ready to go on vacation in the morning believe it or not!

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1342732474|3236801 said:

I have a Vatche setting. Given my experience with one local jeweler, it is comforting to know that I can send my ring to NY for maintenance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results