shape
carat
color
clarity

So your diamond reflects color.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hey, well I was looking at the diamond while holding a blue pillow yesterday and low and behold, it was blue! So I got to thinking that often times when talking about in-store diamond experiences we end up asking what color the walls were, what color shirt the person was wearing, what color his/her hair is, etc. We are pretty frequently addressing the idea that diamonds, especially ideal cut diamonds, are going to return colors that they are pointed at. Thus Creamy walls end up with creamy looking diamonds. So I thought it would be fun to put up some pictures of diamonds returning color, feel free to join in. But if you do not have an ideal cut, remember to specify the cut grade of your diamond so we can compare it to ideal cut performance, and don't forget to mention your diamonds color.

Here are mine, E, Ideal.

If you can't read what is written in the pictures, in order from left to right it is:
Pointed at a white pillow case (I think you can see a hint of my finger tone in the upper left hand side of the diamond though, you can see the finger in the platinum prong as well)
Pointed at a red heart painted on the pillow case
Pointed at a blue sky painted on the pillow case
Pointed at a small Yellow start surrounded by a blue sky painted on the pillow case.

colorreflecting.JPG

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Working,

Cool pictures. Thanks.

In one of my very first jobs in the jewelry business, the of the store taught me one of his ‘secrets’ of the business. Whenever he had an appointment with a diamond dealer to buy he would wear a yellow shirt for this very reason. Whadyamean E! This is an H.

I can’t imagine that this worked very well against professional sellers but it certainly establishes the point and it’s the reason that NO jewelry store with a lick of sense has yellow walls or carpeting.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

well, unless they want to be able to sell lower quality maybe? or perhaps at a big name store if they don''t want anybody second guessing their decisions. Like looking at a diamond and saying....hmmm, this one you are recommending looks yellower than the other. So by having creamy walls and ceiling with alot of pinpoint lighting they can knock yoru socks off with sparkle and fire and still hide the element of color differences from the consumer until they are no longer side by side for comparison. In that way those who are aware of the D title and what it means can come in and request a D, whereas all of their other merchandise is then on equal footing for the average uneducated consumer. All they have to say is, "yes, it is a lower color, but can you see a difference? why not buy it if it is the one that you want?" just a theory though on why a few stores I have been to were set up as they were:)

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Very cool pics!!!!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The classic jewelry store design is dark carpet and showcase fronts with creamy walls and lots of pinpoint lighting in the ceiling, bright lighting and light colored pads inside the cases with an otherwise fairly dark room for exactly the reasons you describe. There’s some debate about having a dark or multi-colored ceiling above the lights because it brings out the contrast in the stones. Some like it while others don’t. This is a big deal for stores and a lot of thought and money gets put into this sort of thing when they design the store.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool pics! I''ll see what I can rustle up....

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neat pictures!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You are in the process of desinging an ideal-scope or ASET scope WH4SR
36.gif

Here is a diamonds eye view of one of my staff (programed into DiamCalc as an observer) in a ball room (from a 360 degree high dynamic range HDR) photo. The little specs are the ETAS - they show the places where lights need to be in order to cause a sparkle in the diamond.
Kewl?

DC3 jess in ballroom etas.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results