shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose or Plat setting for a j++ stone

GracieG

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I am about to purchase a great stone and setting from IDJ. Yekutiel is recommending I set a 2.4ct j++ color GIA cert into their Tiffany inspired / u113 rose gold shank with six white gold prongs because an all platinum ring will show more of the stone body color against a dull silver metal overtime. I've looked at the j in plat topic but couldn't decide whether it might be the case. What do you think? I only have white metal jewelry. Please help me with this decision.
Thank you

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I would only get rose gold if you love rose gold.

Another option is unplated white gold, which has some warmth to it, and will show less contrast than platinum with any body color in the diamond.

I have an uncerted J/K in platinum and I can see the tint sometimes, but it doesn't bother me.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a K in a white gold head with yellow gold shank and I'm happy with that combo, so I vote white gold head instead of plat.

GracieG

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your input so far. I think Rose is nice too but I have a plat necklace that I wear daily and am afraid a plat ring will show more but perhaps not. What to do :(

bugbear

Shiny_Rock
I'm an indecisive person so I feel your pain. I *think* I would go with the rose gold setting. I'd be inclined to trust the vendor's opinion. Plus I'd be concerned with the body colour showing. I understand your concerns about matching your other white metal jewelry though... Do you have a wedding band that you'll be pairing with it?

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd "let the stone choose." LOL. I have a J diamond and I intended to put it in white gold. As it turned out, I didn't like the way that particular stone looked in WG (sallow tint to it), but it looks lovely in yellow gold (buttery tint, very complimentary) with a WG head. So a bold gold YG mounting is what it resides in. There wasn't any rose gold available locally, or I might also have considered rose gold for it. Warmer diamonds can have undertones (green, gray, brown, pink, or yellowish) and also are somewhat chameleon in the way they can look different in different lighting or in different metals. Sometimes one color of metal is really more complimentary than the others.

If you really want platinum, then maybe you'll need to go with a higher color diamond if tint bothers you.

GracieG

Rough_Rock
Thanks both! I plan to wear it alone as my wedding band is 24k gold and only if budget is not a concern I'd go for a D 3ct :)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: I LOVE rose gold, but I don't like it on me/my skin tone; it just blends in too much. Do you already have some or have tried on some RG to know if you like it on yourself? If not, perhaps get a clean newer penny and see how it looks on your skin tone to get an idea.

Also, might he be able to photograph the diamond beside both WG and platinum for you to get an idea of how it may look? Couldn't hurt to ask.

GracieG

Rough_Rock
Thanks JoCoJen!!! Why didn't I think of asking the vendor about that for a visual comp??!!

GracieG

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Just want to share that I decided on a platinum setting and couldn't be happier! It is not icy whites like my D/E earrings and am not sure why this time around I don't see that warmth that had bothered me from the ACA G color I had before. The stone does not have Fluor but picked up the blue wall and love those arrows, only wish they were the fatter ones.

Thanks all for your help!

img_14955.jpg

img_14956.jpg

bugbear

Shiny_Rock
It's gorgeous! I'm so glad you are happy with your choice. :appl: Wear it in good health :wavey:

ImVotingForSparkles

Rough_Rock
Beautiful!! Could you post more pics? I'm debating getting a 3+ carat J that has faint fluoro and can't decide if I should wait to find one with medium/strong.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful! Glad you gave the plat a chance on it. :appl: :love:

I may start a new thread for J/K color stones so people can share and others can look and others can use it to help make decisions, since the previous ones are many years old now.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pls start a new thread with your ring, so more people will see it - GORGEOUS!

GracieG

Rough_Rock
Ok will start a SMTB later on. Here's some pic in office lighting on my right hand with/without the band and my plat bracelet. What do you think? I feel I like it alone and my plat bracelet needs upgrading.

Ps not sure why The pics are posted sideway

img_15006.jpg

img_15008.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful new stone and love the setting. Looks wonderful on you. Congratulations!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results