Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Rose gold with white gold trellis -no millgrain

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Rose gold with white gold trellis -with millgrain on bars

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
I need your advice on resetting my 3 stone rose gold trellis engagement ring.

I have wanted to get a new setting since I first received this ring… I love the idea of it and don't want to change much from the original but to be honest it doesn't look great when seen close up (i.e how I look at it everyday…) -it's much bulkier than I asked for it to be (I asked for 2mm and it's closer to 3.5mm at the top), it's not finished very well (you can see blobs of metal soldering) and the centre stone is set far too high and with irregular prongs :(

I want to keep it as a 3 stone rose gold trellis though and reset the diamonds into this:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone-trellis-18k-rose-gold-5376r18

At the moment however, my current ring has a rose gold shank and a white gold trellis. I don't really think of it as "two-tone" because you don't really notice the white gold and it reflects my rose gold wedding band. However when I asked, BGD informed me that they don't do this setting with a white gold trellis because of the way the ring flows. I have noticed though that they do offer the princess three stone trellis with a white gold trellis so I think it might be possible to do…

The question is, since I am starting over again –should I keep it two-tone (if it can be done) or do it with rose gold trellis and prongs? I do understand BGD's point about the "flow" of the design and my diamonds are H-I colour so I don't think it will make them look more tinted…

Another thing I had thought of doing was to add a very fine bar of milgraining along the tops of the bars that hold the trellis together, as seen on Yssie's and Haven's rings –Lesley said they can do this but warned me it would make these bars stand out a lot more which I might not want… My diamonds are a LOT smaller than Yssie and Haven's (centre is 0.64, sides are 0.15) so I'm not really sure if it will work on this design –any thoughts?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think I'd go all RG and no millegrain....keep it really simple.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
distracts|1347384302|3266046 said:
I voted all rose gold and no millegrain.

I'd also see if you could get the side stones set a little lower and angled away from the center stone, more like in this ring:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/truth-x-3-18k-rose-gold-5450r18
That way instead of sticking up all in a row, the stones sort of conform to the contours of your finger.

Oh my goodness I forgot the most important point!!

Yes I have already asked Lesley about the shape of the trellis -does this picture show what you were trying to say? I really don't like the way the trellis they have on the website is -like you say the side stones need to be set a lower and angled away from the center stone.

screen_shot_2012-09-11_at_19.png

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
I will also ask for it to be made with a 2mm shank and dainty prongsx

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I think rose gold trellis will make your diamonds look whiter and stand out more. I voted for no milgrain, because I only like very very fine milgrain, as in -- you cannot see it from a foot away -- but if you look at the ring closely, it becomes a pleasant surprise. Many milgrain work I've seen is not very fine, and I think in these cases no milgrain might be better.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, that's exactly what I meant about the sidestones. I think doing them like that makes the whole thing look so much more elegant.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Cookie|1347385631|3266059 said:
I think rose gold trellis will make your diamonds look whiter and stand out more. I voted for no milgrain, because I only like very very fine milgrain, as in -- you cannot see it from a foot away -- but if you look at the ring closely, it becomes a pleasant surprise. Many milgrain work I've seen is not very fine, and I think in these cases no milgrain might be better.

Yes I think you are right -I hadn't thought of having this done until I saw a vintage ring locally which had it done in a similar way which really took my breath away- but that milgrain was very delicate and had probably faded away over the years...

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
What about some mill grain on the edges of the shank, like the Aurora band of Gypsys, Dreamers, and now belongs to...?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I agree, so unless it's super fine then I vote all rose gold no milgrain. It sounds beautiful though and I also like distracts suggestion about angling the stones a bit more...very elegant! :love: I'm hoping to do a RG reset and have been stressing over alloys and I keep going back to the pics on BGD site, his rg looks perfect! Can't wait to see what you decide!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1347409516|3266435 said:

I agree, so unless it's super fine then I vote all rose gold no milgrain. It sounds beautiful though and I also like distracts suggestion about angling the stones a bit more...very elegant! :love: I'm hoping to do a RG reset and have been stressing over alloys and I keep going back to the pics on BGD site, his rg looks perfect! Can't wait to see what you decide!

Ditto. BGD does excellent work but their specialty is not dainty/delicate - I have an example of their milgrain and it is much larger and bolder than my Canera/DBL milgrain, I do think it would draw attention to the baskets rather than work as a secret little touch so I'd skip it.

I vote all-RG and I like the idea of angling and tucking the sidestones in under the center more a lot :sun:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm having trouble picturing the finished ring with angled side stones. Do you have a picture of a ring that was done like that?

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
My ring has the side stones tilted in certain angle. Our stone proportion is quite different, but just to give you an example:

9376140.jpg

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock

Yes I'm very nervous/excited to see the colour in person! I really like the current colour of my rose gold ering (I asked for it to be very creamy and light). Your project sounds great! What are you thinking of for a setting?

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1347457080|3266739 said:

Ditto. BGD does excellent work but their specialty is not dainty/delicate - I have an example of their milgrain and it is much larger and bolder than my Canera/DBL milgrain, I do think it would draw attention to the baskets rather than work as a secret little touch so I'd skip it.

I vote all-RG and I like the idea of angling and tucking the sidestones in under the center more a lot :sun:

Yes I think you are right... the "bolder" BGD milgrain and the fact that my stones are a lot smaller just means it won't work... I shall continue to admire the beautiful milgraining on yours from afar however :))

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1347457630|3266744 said:
I'm having trouble picturing the finished ring with angled side stones. Do you have a picture of a ring that was done like that?

Something more like the BGD truth's angles that distracts suggested:

screen_shot_2012-09-13_at_22.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results