shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for Rolex owners

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I finally bought my preowned rolex. I was looking for a rolex that was factory face, bracelet, and bezel. Now that I have it, while I love it, I am debating if I should purchase an after market diamond bezel. So have any of you debated this issue and if so, what did you decide?
From the after market bezels that I have seen, none come close to the Rolex quality...but still, i am torn between factory look and bling.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I have two, but it never occurred to me to add bling.
Despite having had then both before I married, I'm quite sure my watch purist husband would object to any unauthorized enhancements. When I had the older vintage one restored he specifically requested they not refurbish the face.
I'm guessing I have more workhorse models than you.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
both of our Rolex are fitted with an after market diamond bezel,however mine is a Ex copy of the original.the diamond dial on mine is an original Rolex dial. IMO...the orginal factory diamond bezel are too high priced.

_4127.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are too expensive and they will not sell the bezel separately to add to a preowned watch...would you mind sharing the vendor's name on your bezels?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nala|1362202564|3394329 said:
They are too expensive and they will not sell the bezel separately to add to a preowned watch...would you mind sharing the vendor's name on your bezels?
i bought the bezel 20 yrs ago.i forgot who i bought it from.. :confused: you can check timezone.com or E-bay.the next service i'll ask the watchmacker to change it back to the original 18K gold bezel.what model is your watch?

fige

Rough_Rock
Premium
I would be concerned about voiding the warranty and servicing implications. I've also heard that adding aftermarket diamonds can affect how water resistant the watch will remain. Are you planning on ever re-selling? I assume that aftermarket modifications would (negatively) affect resale value also.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is probably no warranty left on the watch from Rolex, it was bought pre-owned.
I will say that if you add the after market bezel, and make it non-standard, you decrease the odds of selling the watch in the future. When you add a mod that is non-rolex we call it a "Frankenwatch".

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But DF just said you can change the bezel back to the original if you ever want to sell it. However, my personal tendency would be to keep it original.

sgclavenna

Rough_Rock
While it may be out of warranty, if you ever send it to Rolex for service, they will return it to its original condition (i.e., if you have an after market bezel they will remove it). So you would need to be sure it is serviced by someone who isn't going to send it to Rolex if that is the route you want to go.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because of all of the concerns mentioned, is why I am torn. I am familiar with the purist theories, which is why I sought a factory preowned one. The reason I posed the question here on pricescope is bc I know that most of us are bling lovers and I wanted to know how you guys dealt with it. Maybe I will just wear my tennis bracelet alongside my Rolex.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sgclavenna|1362241663|3394564 said:
While it may be out of warranty, if you ever send it to Rolex for service, they will return it to its original condition (i.e., if you have an after market bezel they will remove it). So you would need to be sure it is serviced by someone who isn't going to send it to Rolex if that is the route you want to go.

Just thought I'd clarify this, not regarding non-Rolex stuff, but regarding 'original condition'.
I have a Rolex I bought new 20+ years ago and the case has scratches and a deep gouge.

I called Rolex about getting it serviced/oiled/maintained (that now costs $600) and asked if correcting cosmetic issues is manditory or optional.
I had heard Rolex service means restoring every watch to new cosmetic condition whether the customer wants it or not.

I don't care about the cosmetic appearance.
In fact I prefer the natural aged patina, just like I am happy to look my age.
No lipo, botox, or scalpels for me.

Rolex said they restore the watch to its factory functional specs, but if cosmetic work is needed they'd contact me for authorization before doing that, and the cost is added to the basic $600 service fee.

I don't know whether this is a change or if it's always been this way and I was Miss. Informed. :mrgreen:

screen_shot_2013-03-02_at_10.png

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I personally would not add an after market non-Rolex bezel. I do wear my tennis bracelet along with mine & it works for me. Good luck with your decision!
sarahb

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1362236581|3394521 said:
But DF just said you can change the bezel back to the original if you ever want to sell it. However, my personal tendency would be to keep it original.
yup,i kept the original 18k bezel. i can switch back to the 18K bezel if i decided to do so.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The Rolex Service Centers like in NYC do not work on non-rolex pieces, they will return the watch and want the non-rolex parts removed before they service the piece.

galevin

Rough_Rock
I have an 18k/ss blue submariner and have a sapphire and diamond bezel. The jewelers love it as they know it was custom. The pic understates how attractive this watch is. Love it and thought I'd share.

_4139.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="kenny|1362249354|
I called Rolex about getting it serviced/oiled/maintained (that now costs $600) and asked if correcting cosmetic issues is manditory or optional.
I had heard Rolex service means restoring every watch to new cosmetic condition whether the customer wants it or not.

I don't care about the cosmetic appearance.
In fact I prefer the natural aged patina, just like I am happy to look my age.
No lipo, botox, or scalpels for me.

Rolex said they restore the watch to its factory functional specs, but if cosmetic work is needed they'd contact me for authorization before doing that, and the cost is added to the basic $600 service fee.

I don't know whether this is a change or if it's always been this way and I was Miss. Informed. :mrgreen:[/quote]

some watch enthusiast say to "never polish" your watch b/c polishing removes metals thus alternating thee original case.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WillyDiamond|1362254130|3394675 said:
The Rolex Service Centers like in NYC do not work on non-rolex pieces, they will return the watch and want the non-rolex parts removed before they service the piece.
there are many other watchmakers in NYC who can service a Rolex watch.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I have an Omega Constellation. For the 15 yrs that I have owned it, I've kicked myself for not getting the diamond bezeled one that was around $500 more. Do you know if I can add a diamond bezel?

sam_5.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NonieMarie|1362256009|3394694 said:
I have an Omega Constellation. For the 15 yrs that I have owned it, I've kicked myself for not getting the diamond bezeled one that was around $500 more. Do you know if I can add a diamond bezel?
you probably can but i don't know if you wanna pay an arm and a legg for it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results