shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for ArjunaJane

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
After being wacked with another over top GST tax and custom duty on my daughters diamond stud and ring I am getting nervous about upgrading my diamond for one of the OMC for GOG.
AJ did you get slugged the GST + duty on the stone only or did they try and add the setting into it.
I think for a $9000 stone I am going to have to put away $2000 Aussie dollars for tax.
What your experience please

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey Kate,
I''m sorry to hear about the new charges, they really do frustrate me as well!

As you know, my experience is a lil different from yours, as I downgraded (both in size and value), but you are upgrading.
Because I had already paid full GST/duty on the original diamond and the setting, this time around I had nothing to pay - (yay!).
2.gif
The only *new* expense was the shipping and the work on the setting, which of course comes under the $1000 customs limit/mark.
GOG were extremely helpful with all the shipping/customs stuff and organized everything for me, so it went pretty much seamlessly.

In your situation (assuming you paid the full GST+duty the first time round), I can say for sure you will only be required to pay the difference between the value of your old stone and the new one (basically the cost of your upgrade).
Of course, if this comes under 1k, than you don''t pay anything.

Just a question - will you be using the same setting? This will also come into play...

But it''s all about the way GOG invoices you, that dictates what customs do. And I can tell you after my experience, I know they are confident in how to run this - feel free to ask Jon about the shipping/customs arrangement he had with me if it makes it easier..His wife Vicky arranges that stuff.
1.gif

Please let me know if I can help further - but from what I can tell, no you won''t have to pay on the full 9k at all. In essence, they can''t make you pay twice, kwim?
I hope that makes you feel better hon!
35.gif

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
Im very sorry to intrude, but as you seem to know all about this perhaps you could advise me...
Am I right in thinking that the taxes etc to bring a diamond into Australia are 10 % GST and 5 % duty or is it more, does it make a difference whether the diamond is set or loose.? I have tried to work it out from the Customs website but got very confused.
I was looking ar buying a round diamond in a simple 4 prong pendant. If it makes a difference to the rate of duty applied I wonder if might be better getting a loose stoneshipped through customs then getting a local jeweller to set it rather than getting it set before being shipped to Australia . I know that you can get much better rings and more intricate jewellry from the US than locally, at least at a half reasonable expense but I figure the local guy woulnt charge too much for such a stock standard item as a basket pendant.
Thankyou

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2009 6:27:54 AM
Author: misssoph
Im very sorry to intrude, but as you seem to know all about this perhaps you could advise me...

Am I right in thinking that the taxes etc to bring a diamond into Australia are 10 % GST and 5 % duty or is it more, does it make a difference whether the diamond is set or loose.? I have tried to work it out from the Customs website but got very confused.

I was looking ar buying a round diamond in a simple 4 prong pendant. If it makes a difference to the rate of duty applied I wonder if might be better getting a loose stoneshipped through customs then getting a local jeweller to set it rather than getting it set before being shipped to Australia . I know that you can get much better rings and more intricate jewellry from the US than locally, at least at a half reasonable expense but I figure the local guy woulnt charge too much for such a stock standard item as a basket pendant.

Thankyou

Hi missoph,
no worries I'm happy to help.
You are correct - it is 10% GST, 5% duty and a processing and import fee, which is usually ~ $100 - $150.
You are also correct that it makes a difference if the diamond is set or not - I *think* there is no duty on unset gemstones, so it's only the 10%GST.
*(It could possibly be the other way around, I apologize I can never remember - hopefully someone else can chime in on this - but I'm 95% sure it's no duty on loose stones)
1.gif

My advice on your situation, would depend heavily on whether you have a local guy you trust, who can offer you affordable designs at a reasonable price. I can say that in my experience, even with seemingly simple things like pendants the US always has better quality at better prices (even after import fees etc).
Can I ask what city you live in?

Just remember that you only need to pay if it's over 1kAUD , and also that they include the cost of postage in the calculations - did you see this page?. Use the table at the very bottom, Example 3.

If you are comfortable listing the prices of the items you're looking into, I'd be happy to work out the fees for you.
I hope that helps, pls ask if you need anything further.
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
misssoph, I just checked and what I mentioned above about the no duty on loose stones is correct, so you''d be looking at the 10% GST and processing fee only.
If you''re interested at all, the info is on this page
1.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
oh AJ thank heavens for this!
I am not sure if they can use my setting. It is a big ask i think to go from a 1.3 to a 3 and keep the same head. Any way i now will join the cue of fans of the OMC and see what comes up for me.
Thanks again!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2009 9:47:46 AM
Author: katebar
I am not sure if they can use my setting. It is a big ask i think to go from a 1.3 to a 3 and keep the same head. Any way i now will join the cue of fans of the OMC and see what comes up for me.
Thanks again!
6.gif
I am already envious.
stickouttongue.gif

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
Dear Aruna Jane, thankyu for the info and link, I have just read a 54 page document entitles "clearing goods through customs" so now more clear. I agree with you in that for me getting a stone set in the US will probably work out cheaper thand doing it here even with the 5% extra duty for the whole thing.

I was looking for a round ideal diamond about 0.5 carats F-g vs2-SI1 for a pendent. I know people say that you dont need an ideal stone for a pendent, but I would like to be able to use it in a ring in the future. I was looking at Jogia Diamonds, a locally in Perth based company as a baseline, so Ill need to do some sums to work out if there is much of a price difference after I factor in the exchange rate, GST and duty. Obviously there is a much greater choice offered by the US on line vendors, but Im not looking for anything very unusual I think> I was alo keen to go with a firm that does exhcanges/upgrades so I gather that limits my choice and I assume raises the price a bit.

??Has anyone had any experience with Jogia, I have seen them advertise in the local paper and they seem reputable, If they did have what I wanted ata similar quality for a similar price it would be easier to deal with a local firm?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Thanks again!

Hey Kate,
you''re welcome I''m glad to make you feel better!
You''re right I doubt they will be able to use your current setting, so that will factor into the customs cost. But Jon/Vicky can guide you through how that bit will work.

And I''m with Ellen, you lucky woman!
25.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2009 10:33:52 AM
Author: misssoph
Dear Aruna Jane, thankyu for the info and link, I have just read a 54 page document entitles 'clearing goods through customs' so now more clear. I agree with you in that for me getting a stone set in the US will probably work out cheaper thand doing it here even with the 5% extra duty for the whole thing.

I was looking for a round ideal diamond about 0.5 carats F-g vs2-SI1 for a pendent. I know people say that you dont need an ideal stone for a pendent, but I would like to be able to use it in a ring in the future. I was looking at Jogia Diamonds, a locally in Perth based company as a baseline, so Ill need to do some sums to work out if there is much of a price difference after I factor in the exchange rate, GST and duty. Obviously there is a much greater choice offered by the US on line vendors, but Im not looking for anything very unusual I think> I was alo keen to go with a firm that does exhcanges/upgrades so I gather that limits my choice and I assume raises the price a bit.

??Has anyone had any experience with Jogia, I have seen them advertise in the local paper and they seem reputable, If they did have what I wanted ata similar quality for a similar price it would be easier to deal with a local firm?

Hey misssoph,
not a problem. Hi from a fellow Perth-ite!
35.gif

Actually a number of Aussies on the board have bought from Jogia and have been very happy - the most recent I think is LaraOnline, also in WA. Mr Jogia also sometimes posts on the board.
If you do a search (up in top right corner) on Jogia, you will find these people's threads and what they say about Jogia and their diamonds. So far I haven't seen any negative press.

I would guess, with the exchange rate now improved - you will find buying from Jogia vs the US pretty much the same price-wise.
But yes, it may be that importing is just not for you, and you like the comfort of a local dealer (and importing can be time-consuming and a lil nerve-wracking for us Aussies sometimes).
5.gif

As far as I know Jogia do offer upgrades and a decent inspection period, but just check their
Website incase

But tbh, I haven't seen better upgrade policies (and policies in general), than from some of the US vendors. Pls keep us updated how you go with your decision!

ETA: forgot to mention, Jogia also can pull their diamonds from the same online inventories that the US vendors use - thought it may be pertinent.
5.gif

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Arjunajane I absolutely adore your ring. Each time I go out and look at the stones local jewelers have sourced for my ring I came back to this thread and they just look like junk compared to your ring. I think I''m about to cave and try to convince my FH to purchase one of these stones online. I''ve been looking locally for anything that might slightly compare but am having no success at all.

Since you are in Australia, if you don''t mind answering, how did the process of finding a stone and setting, getting it put together then sent to Australia work? I''m a bit confused about the process if I don''t want to get the diamond and setting from the same vendor will I need to have the stone go from GOG to Australia and then back to the US to be set?

My FH isn''t too keen on buying online and I can understand his reservations but I don''t think we will be able to beat buying online for price or quality locally and we will have no chance of finding anything similar to a chunky cushion.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/15/2009 10:05:37 AM
Author: Ellen

Thanks again!
6.gif
I am already envious.
stickouttongue.gif

Well don't turn green just yet Miss Ellen. Mu husband is putting his foot down big time. But that's never fazed me in the past so I am planning my upgrade stealthily
41.gif
The bottom line is i will carry the cost difference myself and he really can suck it up.
I am not sentimentally attached to this ring and maybe that is a down size to up grading, unless you went through a whole vows and ring ceremony
Don't get me wrong I 'love' this ring but bigger could be better
2.gif
We shall see what happens. I have had a pretty terrible year with a whole lot of distressing things happening to me and my family and so instead of booze, cigarettes, gambling ,and fast men I shop for jewellery! Sound pretty darn reasonable to me
36.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
katebar - I understand completely about bad year = more jewelry. Good luck to you. Looking forward to your upgrade.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results