shape
carat
color
clarity

polishing platinum bands with a treated cloth?

luckykit

Rough_Rock
hey all -

now that pricescope has made me HYPER-aware of my jewelry, i'm realizing how scratched up my platinum solitaire e-ring has gotten.

i recently bought a hagerty jewelry polishing cloth to deal with a delicate sterling silver ring i have, and it says it can be used on platinum as well. one side is just a regular soft cotton cloth, but the other side "features a white, inner cloth that leaves a long lasting tarnish-preventive barrier". i assume this means it's been treated with something. is that safe to use on platinum, or should i stick to the other side?

(i also realize of course that only so much can be done at home, but i think some intense buffing would be helpful - provided of course that is not discouraged.)

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
I'm curious about using a cloth too and if it would do any damage to platinum. Some of my Pandora jewelry came with a polishing cloth and little anti-tarnish cloth bag and I used the bag on my platinum wedding set and it looked brighter. Those types of cloths wouldn't do any harm to the metal, right?

luckykit

Rough_Rock
septembergirl|1484932207|4116925 said:
I'm curious about using a cloth too and if it would do any damage to platinum. Some of my Pandora jewelry came with a polishing cloth and little anti-tarnish cloth bag and I used the bag on my platinum wedding set and it looked brighter. Those types of cloths wouldn't do any harm to the metal, right?

hopefully someone can tell us!

i'm curious about the anti-tarnish bag - does it work well? i currently have my sterling silver in some very classy ziploc bags. :lol:

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
luckykit|1484933378|4116930 said:
septembergirl|1484932207|4116925 said:

hopefully someone can tell us!

i'm curious about the anti-tarnish bag - does it work well? i currently have my sterling silver in some very classy ziploc bags. :lol:

Yes, they do work nicely but for longer-term storage, I bought from QVC a couple of those Lori Greiner silver safekeeper jewelry boxes and have never had any of my sterling jewelry tarnish.

luckykit

Rough_Rock
bump! someone must know whether it's safe to use a treated cloth on anything other than sterling silver...

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I use them on my gold and platinum jewelry without any ill effects.

Hope that helps.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The cloth would be fine on platinum, but keep in mind it's intended to take off tarnish. The cloth won't take out the scratches that cause platinum to have a patina. You'd have to get the ring professionally polished by a jeweler to get it looking shiny and new again.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's safe, but not particularly effective. The problem with silver is tarnish. It comes from the chemical reaction between silver and oxygen. Air is the cause and it's tough to avoid. The chemical in the cloth is design to dissolve the silver oxide. Platinum doesn't really tarnish. You can get oils and other crud on it, and you can scratch it, but those are different problems.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have two platinum rings.

I'm glad we just left them alone and let the patina develop naturally.

luckykit

Rough_Rock
Really helpful, all - thanks very much! I think I'll save the treated side for my sterling silver then, just because it's pointless on platinum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results