shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help in letting me know if this purchase is worth it

lucida

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

I really need assistance in finding out if this is worth buying since it's EGL European certified for a 10.86 carat diamond. Any idea what the specs would be if it was GIA certified and most importantly what it's worth. The seller who isn't a regular on Ebay says it's his ex-wife's diamond.
I'm not a jeweler but it's my passion. Any help or thoughts and suggestions?
I've attached a copy of the certification. Also I plugged in the figures in the Holloway Cut Adviser and the score was 1.
Thank you in advance for any feedback.

screenshot_20170113-112040.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Please help in letting me know if this purchase is worth

Unfortunately, no one can read that report.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Partly because this is such a large stone and significant purchase, I would ask the seller to submit the stone to GIA for certification. I would not buy a stone of this magnitude based on an EGL cert. There Is no accurate way to guess how the stone with rate with GIA unless you submit it to them. I would expect just on general principle to find its color and clarity below what EGL states and because of that, you could not be sure of what would be a fair price.

lucida

Shiny_Rock

Hello,
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that it wasn't legible. Here is the text from the report:
EGL European Gemological Laboratory certificate no: EGL151510261
Dated December 13, 2015

carat weight: 10.86
Shape and cut: round brilliant
measurements: 14.27-14.30 x 8.67mm
Cut grade: excellent
total depth: 61.00%
table width: 58.00%
crown height: 14.83%
pavilion depth: 42.30%
girdle thickness: mediam (faceted)

polish excellent
summetry excellent
culet none
clarity grade SI2
grainingNIL
color grade F
flourescence none
comments excellent ideal cut

100% natural diamond
Diamond: Type IaAB

Anything here that stands out or any information at all to see if it's worth buying? I wouldn't want it to be then certified by GIA as an I3 and bad color. Since the holloway cut advisor gace such a good score of 1.0, I'm assuming that the cut is really ideal and will shine really bright? The only picture of the actual diamond is what the seller sent me, which is attached. I'd really appreciate any input as I'm not in the industry, however I trust and rely on you experts on this. Thank you.

_38893.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would ask for a lot more up-close pictures and a video...if he is serious about selling it he should be willing to provide them.

What is his asking price?

Edit...I see inclusions in the photo and well, the stone just doesn look like it should look to me. Perhaps too many inclusions?

Sunfish

Shiny_Rock

I found your stone on eBay and was able to magnify the one photo they provided. Here are my honest thoughts:

They (EGL) grade it an SI2. I'd bet money on GIA grading it an I1 but more than likely much lower.

The stone is heavily included. Do you want it to sparkle? This one really won't much. Have you checked out jewels by grace? She has some gorgeous large diamonds right now. It's not worth the $99k they are asking.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

The others have given you very good advice. Something is very wrong here. I wouldn't even consider a stone by an inexperienced seller on eBay with one not so good picture.

Why not spend a little time reading through some of Pricescopes information on diamond cut and quality or approach a reputable vendor for assistance like was suggested in some of your previous stone threads?

lucida

Shiny_Rock

Hello and thanks for your response. Out of curiosity, why won't it sparkle? I did ask if it was milky and he said it wasn't. I requested a picture in the sunlight and he still hasn't sent it.
Thanks.

lucida

Shiny_Rock

Yes I understand, however buying from stores would be 2 to 3 times more expensive. I wanted to get a deal and I'm being very cautious for these reasons.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it won't sparkle because it's riddled with inclusions if the picture you've included is any indication. It looks like there's a cloud of dust captured in it and that will mean light won't do what it's meant to inside the diamond which is reflect around it and bounce out as sparkle. If you have $100k to spend, this doesn't seem like a good use of that money if you want any sort of deal.

Lore

Rough_Rock

lucida|1484641027|4115903 said:
I wanted to get a deal and I'm being very cautious for these reasons.

Then I'd recommend heeding the advice from others on the forum. For that amount of money, you'd want to make sure there is a 30-day return policy, upgrade policy, etc, which I doubt eBay and this buyer would honor. I'd also ask for a GIA re-cert on that and for him to provide ASET or Idealscope images to check for cut quality.

This might be a deal that's too good to be true ...

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

lucida|1484640918|4115902 said:
Hello and thanks for your response. Out of curiosity, why won't it sparkle? I did ask if it was milky and he said it wasn't. I requested a picture in the sunlight and he still hasn't sent it.
Thanks.

The fact that he isn't responding is another huge red flag (IMO). Tell me, would you buy an expensive used car online based on one slightly angled picture that gives next to no information?

I am a frequent purchaser on eBay of collectible items (that have a high instance of being faked). And one of the first things you learn when you become interested in things like that and ride the wild west that is eBay is if no information/incomplete information is given to the point you can't authenticate it, there is usually a reason and it should raise a million red flags....I'd say a similar thing applies to diamonds. If a seller is not supplying sufficient information then I would steer clear....For that price, one picture and a report from a dodgy lab should be everything you need to know (run away), in addition to the fact they aren't communicative....

IMO one of the worst things you can do is shop eBay for a "deal". In your various threads you pointed out immediately that you like to collect but know nothing of diamonds and if you want to shop eBay, you may want to change that so you know what a "deal" looks like on ebay (if there are any to be had at all). Some sellers count on there being people like yourself. DOn't fall in to the trap.

As I said above, I'd ether spend some time here educating yourself, or if you aren't interested in that, work with a respected vendor that has policies in place.

As has been said many many times over the years in previous threads and in your own previous threads if you go back and reread them- there are no deals in diamonds (and I personally think that is doubly true if you have little to no diamond education- you are only setting yourself up to get ripped off).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would NOT purchase this stone. It will not have the sparkle you want because it is very heavily included. If EGL said SI2, then GIA will be AT LEAST I1 if not I2-I3. If the seller could have a GIA report, he or she would. The reason he or she doesnt is because the person KNOWS that they wouldn't be able to ask for as much $ once the GIA report came back much worse. For a stone that size there's no way I'd consider buying without a reputable cert (GIA, AGS, etc).

You can get something much better for your $ by asking the experts here for help.

lucida

Shiny_Rock

Thank you all for your support, this is why I like posting here and can depend on all of your expertise!
I turned him down, but said I might be interested if we can get it GIA certified with the same parameters. I'm ok with the color being 1 or 2 grades down from the F, but not the clarity and the cut. He said depending on if it's sold or not. So we'll see. This is too much money that I cannot lose.

Could EGL's cut measurements be incorrect? Can I at least rely on the measurements that I plugged into the Holloway Cut Advisor.

Thank you again.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

lucida|1484781604|4116366 said:
Thank you all for your support, this is why I like posting here and can depend on all of your expertise!
I turned him down, but said I might be interested if we can get it GIA certified with the same parameters. I'm ok with the color being 1 or 2 grades down from the F, but not the clarity and the cut. He said depending on if it's sold or not. So we'll see. This is too much money that I cannot lose.

Could EGL's cut measurements be incorrect? Can I at least rely on the measurements that I plugged into the Holloway Cut Advisor.

Thank you again.

With only one watcher, I'd say it's highly unlikely to sell....

Well, if anyone were to purchase a stone like that, at that expense, the first thing I'd do is take it to an appraiser to verify...but I think everyone on this board would be blown away if anyone purchased that stone with one picture, and not even face on at that.

Good luck.

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock

Run far away from this diamond as fast as you can. Try one of our pricescope vendors who can help you shop with confidence that your large diamond will sparkle and you wont get ripped off.
There are so many options when your are spending 90K. I would not purchase this diamond :roll:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results