shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging all Ideal-Scope experts (esp Gary). Please interpret!

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
Hi gang, I'm still within my return-policy window and I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the following Ideal-Scope images. It took three digital cameras and many attempts, but here are the clearest images I was able to produce. I've seen Gary mention things like "painted" when analyzing IS images, but I have no idea what I'm looking for. Is this stone leaking at the 5-6 o'clock position? Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

Specs:
1.2ct Round Brilliant
Measurement: 6.77 - 6.83 x 4.19 mm
Color Grade: I
Clarity Grade: IF
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 58%
Crown Angle: 34
Pavilion Angle: 41
Cutlet: None
HCA: 1.6

dscf6045.jpg

dscf6046.jpg

dscf6054.jpg

dscf6057.jpg

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Paging all Ideal-Scope experts (esp Gary). Please interp

TnE - this is a very informative article to read/understand on painting and digging, and it clearly shows the negative effects on a stone with accompanying images.

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/visible_effects_painting_digging_superideal_diamonds

Also, [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/painted-girdles.175872/#post-3204405#p3204405']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/painted-girdles.175872/#post-3204405#p3204405[/URL]

I think your IS seems fine, just a little tilted to produce what appears like leakage, but I'm sure one of the top dawgs will chime in soon.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not a dawg at all :bigsmile: , but slight leakage like that probably cannot be seen with the eye. I think the stone looks fine! But we'll see if Garry replies!

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1340499808|3222614 said:
Not a dawg at all :bigsmile: , but slight leakage like that probably cannot be seen with the eye. I think the stone looks fine! But we'll see if Garry replies!

Thanks for the feedback Titan and DS! The odd thing is that I don't see the leakage when I look directly into the Ideal-Scope, only on the photos. The results seem to vary with the slightest change in viewing angle. Is there a way to distinguish between leakage and viewing angle errors just by looking at the IS images?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

IS looks good.
Just some very minor leakage.
There is no detrimental painting or digging seen in the is image.
Who graded it and where are the numbers from?
GIA grossly rounds the #s on the report.
Do you have a heart image?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

TrialnError|1340509329|3222687 said:
Thanks for the feedback Titan and DS! The odd thing is that I don't see the leakage when I look directly into the Ideal-Scope, only on the photos. The results seem to vary with the slightest change in viewing angle. Is there a way to distinguish between leakage and viewing angle errors just by looking at the IS images?
That is not uncommon with very minor leakage.
Slight tilt or a different angle and no leakage.
In other words that area is right on the edge.
Aset black would show no leakage.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock

Karl_K|1340545928|3222793 said:
IS looks good.
Just some very minor leakage.
There is no detrimental painting or digging seen in the is image.
Who graded it and where are the numbers from?
GIA grossly rounds the #s on the report.
Do you have a heart image?

Thanks for the info Karl. The grading was done by GIA. Do they round to the nearest tenth? I'm working on getting an H&A viewer based on your recommendation in my other thread.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

TrialnError|1340555070|3222848 said:
Thanks for the info Karl. The grading was done by GIA. Do they round to the nearest tenth? I'm working on getting an H&A viewer based on your recommendation in my other thread.
GIA rounds each facet then averages them then grossly rounds.
The final rounding is nearest .2 pavilion and .5 crown.
lgf% is rounded to the nearest 5%.

Ideal_Polish

Rough_Rock
Trade

Looks good to me! The 2nd and 3rd images are the most accurate in my opinion. They still appear slightly off center from facing the camera directly, but they are very close. The leakage is there, but I don't think it's too bad. An ASET would be nice to confirm but I understand you're doing this at home. If you did have an ASET of this diamond, I can guess that the area in question would appear slightly darker orange/red than on the opposite side of the table. This article, https://www.pricescope.com/journal/aset-–-diamond-evaluation-tool, begins to explain the importance of both an ASET and an Ideal-Scope to judge light performance. Many will tell you on here though that if you only had one image to base a decision off of - Ideal Scopes are better for Round Brilliant cuts and ASETs are better for fancies. Me, I'm lucky enough to always have both.

Keep up the good work!

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock

What is the proper technique for using the IS? I read the tutorial, but I'm having difficulty producing consistent results. I'm using it accompanied with the Ideal Light on a flat surface. When looking straight down the IS, slight movements are producing mixed results. How do I know when I captured a "true" IS image? Thanks for any tips.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results