shape
carat
color
clarity

Other Cut Grading Methods

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I was just thinking about an experience I had about two years ago, that surfaced again recently with the same jeweler about a month ago.

Two years ago I bought diamond stud earrings for my g/f at the time for Xmas. Long story short, we broke up and I ended up returning them. They used loose diamonds to create the pair.

Also, I went in to look around at diamonds for an engagement ring as part of the pricescope "shop around at home too".

This guy runs probably the classiest shop around. He was actually the Pennsylvania Jeweler of the Year a couple years ago. I think he is high priced compared to here online, but they sell a good product.

Anyway..as I ramble on..they would bring the loose stones out folded up in little papers w/info written on the front (size, color, clarity, anc cut). I got everything, except the "cut". They used letter "As". For example...I saw diamonds that were "AAA", "AA+", etc.

Is anyone familiar with this way of grading cut and what does it mean. Just curious so I know if I go back to the guy.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
wonka27,

There are quite a few different cut grading systems in use and this does cause some confusion for both customers and dealers. Most of the dealers on pricescope have gravitated towards the AGS system but there isn't really an industry standard in the same way that the GIA scale has become for Clarity and Color. The jeweler should be able to explain to you what their scale is and what the differences between AA+ and AAA are. Most will have this in writing so that you can easily study it. This should make it possible to reasonably compare their stones with ones that are available elsewhere. Cut grading is a tricky business and not all scales are equally useful.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
www.gemlab.us

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Neil!

Very good point...if I saw it, I should have asked them the difference and maybe how their method correlates to AGS or GIA standards.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Every honest system correlates to every other system. So, the only reason to use a private system today is to hide the grading in some way from the customer. It is a little liking speaking in a foreign tongue in front of a stranger who cannot comprehend what's being said. At the least it seems a bit impolite and at the worst they are saying what a fool the customer must be. It may be acceptable in some cultures, but it does not appeal to Americans who are English speakers. Of course, in all fairness, many areas of the USA are Hispanic and if you don't speak and understand Spanish, that is not the store's fault. They appeal to their Spanish speaking clientele primarily and you are the odd man out.

If asked, the seller may interpret the grading for you. Hopefully it will be done with honesty and also one would hope the system is tight enough to make re-grading unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results