shape
carat
color
clarity

Need guidance on cost of transitional cut stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock

I was recently on a shopping excursion in Boston and an older stone caught my eye. I don’t know much about how valuations run on older stones, so I don’t know if the asking price for this stone ($4,800) was reasonable. It’s a 1.19 ct. transitional cut stone; the EGL USA grading report calls it H, VS2. I’ve attached details from the report below.

How does this price sound? Jump on that it’s such a good deal? Just reasonable/fair? Too high?

Stone
50357202D
Weight
1.19 CT
Shape
TRANSITION ROUND BRILLIANT
Color
H
Clarity
VS2
Measurements
6.76 x 6.65 x 4.21 mm
Depth
62.6%
Table
56%
Crown
16.7%
Pavilion
42.4%
Crown Angle
37.1°
Pavilion Angle
40.8°
Girdle
THIN TO MEDIUM
Polish
GOOD
Symmetry
GOOD
Fluorescence
MEDIUM BLUE
Culet
SMALL
Cut Grade
N/A
Comments

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It''s hard to say without seeing the stone, as so much of old cut pricing depends on how the diamond looks. But since you said it caught your eye, I assume you think it''s very pretty!

Based purely on the specs, seems that $4800 could very well be a reasonable asking price for such a stone. Is it a loose diamond, or mounted in a ring?

The thing about old cuts is that they are hard to price based on specs alone, but I would say it has potential! Now let your eyes be your guide, research old cut pricing online, make sure there''s a good return policy/inspection period and take the stone to an independent appraiser so that you can examine it closely with a professional, at your own pace.

If the stone tugs at your heart, pursue it. If you only find it mildly pretty, keep looking. The right old cut will simply knock your socks off when you see it (of course, I''m a teensy bit biased) :)

Last bit of advice about old cuts is that when you find one you love, buy it! It might take a very long time before another one speaks to you in the same way.

Good luck, and please do post pics!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 12:39:15 PM
Author: ericad
It''s hard to say without seeing the stone, as so much of old cut pricing depends on how the diamond looks. But since you said it caught your eye, I assume you think it''s very pretty!

Based purely on the specs, seems that $4800 could very well be a reasonable asking price for such a stone. Is it a loose diamond, or mounted in a ring?

The thing about old cuts is that they are hard to price based on specs alone, but I would say it has potential! Now let your eyes be your guide, research old cut pricing online, make sure there''s a good return policy/inspection period and take the stone to an independent appraiser so that you can examine it closely with a professional, at your own pace.

If the stone tugs at your heart, pursue it. If you only find it mildly pretty, keep looking. The right old cut will simply knock your socks off when you see it (of course, I''m a teensy bit biased) :)

Last bit of advice about old cuts is that when you find one you love, buy it! It might take a very long time before another one speaks to you in the same way.

Good luck, and please do post pics!
Erica knows what she''s talking about!! Numbers are tough to interpret in old cuts, although these look promising. $4800 is a reasonable price. But the most important thing is "does it sing to you?" It''s almost as if old cuts choose their owners instead of the other way around. Good luck with your search, and PLEASE POST PICTURES!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results