shape
carat
color
clarity

More beautiful asschers!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was very fortunate to pick up a couple more Beaudry settings this year from Pearlman's sale, and one of them needs a 1 ct square center stone. This is going to be my Christmas/anniversary present a little late. I was waiting to see if any higher color AVR's would come in, but since they haven't yet, I decided to go ahead and complete this right hand ring.

Jonathan at Good Old Gold already had a great G VS1 asscher that someone else was considering, and after they decided on another stone, I asked him to call in a couple more for me to choose from. They just came in today, so I don't have the ASETs or any other info other than the video. But I thought that the asscher lovers here would enjoy seeing the videos because Jonathan surely does find great asschers! In fact, they are so pretty that I wish my ring could take a larger stone, but unfortunately, it can't!

My decision has to do with which stone will fit the setting best (I need to find out the dimensions!), and I also need to balance out the cost since I still want to conserve money for my e-ring stone. But opinions are always welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SBfNGxTFE&feature=youtu.be

I VS1, H VVS1, G VS1, J VS2 (I think the J stone is likely too big for the setting, though)

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They all are beauties but I particularly love the 2nd one, the H VVS1, the best! Are you okay w/ H color in asschers?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2boys|1356147721|3337821 said:
They all are beauties but I particularly love the 2nd one, the H VVS1, the best! Are you okay w/ H color in asschers?

:wavey: Yes, I like H color in anything. I was trying to decide about I color just to save money, but I am not sure whether the difference is worth it or not. I do think the H VVS1 is probably the most outstanding of the 4, though. The J is nice but I can tell it is too large for the setting since I am pretty sure the other three are right at the max size I can use.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the third one, the G, the best. It really appeals to my eye! :love: :love: The second one, the H - Jon's top choice - is the most sparkly and is also amazing!! :love: :love:

Can't wait to see this new RHR of yours, DS! :appl: I really have a soft spot for asschers.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the first and third the best. I must not like the windmill? I like the smaller steps in the first one.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
another one for that G VS1!!! I LOVE the faceting on that!!!! Gorgeous!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is sooo interesting to hear the varied favorites! I will say in general that the G (#3) is around $500 more than the H (#2), and the H is around $1000 or so more than the I color (#1). So while I truly want the most beautiful stone, there is quite a difference in price in three little stones! I am trying not to let price be the primary determining factor, though, because this is a stone that won't ever be upgraded. I need to get it right on the first try!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
they are all really very nice--not sure which I would pick. i prefer the perfectly square (or appear to be) stones

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bgray|1356154650|3337875 said:
they are all really very nice--not sure which I would pick. i prefer the perfectly square (or appear to be) stones

I don't have the measurements yet, but Jon was selecting mostly perfectly square ones to call in. It does have to be square because the halo is square with small cut corners.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, can we see the new setting?! :naughty: You can't tease us w/o pics!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1356155606|3337881 said:
Ooh, can we see the new setting?! :naughty: You can't tease us w/o pics!

Haha! I was saving that until the diamond is set! I don't mean to tease but it'll be better with a real diamond in it as opposed to the forbidden-to-be-posted center stone it currently has!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one on the left, the I, has the best facet pattern to my eye. I like the H too but I'm concerned about the middle of it, looks to me like it could a little deader in some lighting. The ones on the right don't interest me much.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
No expert on the asschers, but if it were me, I really liked the J as my #1 choice (I realize, it may be too large, but it appealed with fire and scintillaton and the J colour did not appear to stand out from the others in terms of 'whiteness')

My 2nd choice would be the G - I liked the extra fire in that cut. But Jon's first choice, the H, was pretty amazing!!!

Are you leaning in any particular direction yet, DS? They are all amazing, that's for sure! I'm interested to hear what Gypsy has to say when she sees them. She's who I'd consider one of the asscher experts for sure!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
My pick is the H VVS1. Get the sparkle/ bling!!!!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
H by far. :)

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Oh those are lovely stones!! I also gravitate towards the H but I really know very little about asschers - other than the fact that I adore them! I can't wait to see your completed ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone!!! Sounds like the H is slightly ahead! I have to find out dimensions before I can be sure, though. I only know the size of the G VS1 and it is at my max size. I also want Jon to at least see them in natural light since that is how I will see it a lot.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

It would be difficult to decide--good luck! Will you see them IRL, side by side, then decide?

BTW, were there no other square cuts that caught your eye? Jon carries a few specialty brands....

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1356192773|3338036 said:
HI:

It would be difficult to decide--good luck! Will you see them IRL, side by side, then decide?

BTW, were there no other square cuts that caught your eye? Jon carries a few specialty brands....

cheers--Sharon

Hi, Sharon! No, unfortunately there probably won't be time to send me a couple to look at in person. I know Jon will have to return some to his suppliers and it is a little complicated due to the holidays and places being closed.

I did look at all the squarish specialty cuts but I decided since the setting is sort of antique style, I thought I'd prefer the Art Deco look of the asscher best.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine's an H VVS1 so I'm partial! :D

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1356202844|3338130 said:

Still smoking girl? :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1356202844|3338130 said:

Well then, that is another thing in this stone's favor! Jon just sent me the stats on the stones so I will be right back!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1356209441|3338180 said:
Congrats!!! :appl:

Thanks, Greg!!!

I am a little torn because if the price difference but I am leaning toward the H.

Opinions welcome!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well you can't go wrong with that gorgeous H, that's for sure! That was Jon's pick, right? He sure has an eye for the perfect stones. I'd trust him - if it works with your budget.

Very exciting!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
In my opinion-$1500 premium for the H is worth it.
Budget,time and reason for the project is the key.

If timing and/budget is against you; the I is perfect for you.

Edit1 I can't do math so early in the morning! It's just after 7am and my daughter was up at 5!!!
I am sure my math is still wrong!
Edit2 i just reread that this is a one time try with the ring and therefore it has to be right -so, for me it is the H, without a doubt. Saving money is good, too. It also depends on your other jewelry pieces- eg how many you have and how often you get to show them off. Hehehe. One can always justify what they want.
Asschers will always draw attention as they are different and there are not that many around, though recently in PS, it is becoming popular again.

Hopefully I haven't confused/ torn on your decision too much more.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi...yes, Jon did seem to think the H was the best, and I really do value his opinion! Thanks!

Greg...I think you are probably right. I am a little on the color sensitive side so H is probably a safe zone for me plus the cut is just superior on that stone. My budget is not a problem other than I am hoping to get an AVR eventually and I don't want to spend too much on other things so I will have the money for that when one comes along! I know you got an asscher this size, too, so I am glad you chimed in!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favourites are the first two from the left, and I can't really pick which I like better. I watched the video with the sound off, so that's just what my eyes are telling me!

And now that I read the whole thing... The H is very nice, but does it have issues in that dark box midway between table and girdle?

Also, I am not a fan of 1.00ct stones, for value. Can a stone under 1ct fit?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results