shape
carat
color
clarity

Is 18k supposed to be yellow underneath Rhodium?

kaaty

Rough_Rock
I always thought that White gold is supposed to be well white (whitish) and not super golden.
I was talking to some one at James allen and she shared this pic...

So if i am want to buy white gold,why should i buy 18k and not stick to 14k? Seems like less hassle with 14k and its stronger...on the other hand its not so pure.
Did you go through same debate? Which one (14k/18k) did you pick and why? Pics are much appreciated...

Here is the setting i have chosen with a VS2, I 2ct
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/side-stones/14k-white-gold-0.54ct-common-prong-round-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-1105

i have fair asian/indian skin with yellow undertones that tans easily.

Platinum seems to jack up the price too much, i have put all the money in stone ;-)

10yr_platinum_vs_2yr_white_gold.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you need to put all your money in the stone, I would not buy a setting with diamonds. Better to buy the $200 solitaire setting and wait and get a really nice setting later on.

18k white gold is not less strong than 14k white gold. But yes, white gold is yellowish in it's natural state. You will have to rhodium plate 18k and 14k white gold to keep it white, unless you buy a ring that happens to be made of special alloys that do not require rhodium plating such as Stuller X1. I prefer platinum, but again, I'd just put all the money into the diamond now and get a plain white gold setting than can be replaced later perhaps with platinum or something like Stuller X1 white gold.

kaaty

Rough_Rock
Thanks,i guess i am trying to be greedy :naughty: and want to get a nice (if not best) setting as well
Stuller X1 white gold is interesting, not sure if James Allen offers that...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure if any of their settings are Stuller, either, but it can't hurt to ask! Most regular jewelers do carry Stuller, though. The X1 would be interesting to try if you want white gold without the plating. I am sure there are many styles that can be made with it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
14k is a perfectly fine option. Stays whiter (mine isn't even plated) and is cheaper and stronger.

Seems again if it has to have diamonds I still say the 850 one is the way to go (especially if they can do it cheaper in14k)

Sorry sorry I know I sound like a broken record :oops: I just can't see why that's not the best option.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally 14k will be more durable than 18k, so if you're going to rhodium plate it anyway... go with the 14k.

kaaty

Rough_Rock
Niel|1371524017|3467793 said:
14k is a perfectly fine option. Stays whiter (mine isn't even plated) and is cheaper and stronger.

Seems again if it has to have diamonds I still say the 850 one is the way to go (especially if they can do it cheaper in14k)

Sorry sorry I know I sound like a broken record :oops: I just can't see why that's not the best option.

:) i appreciate it...i guess just a matter of personal style...
Good to know that 14k s working great for you..

kaaty

Rough_Rock
thanks, i am leaning towards 14k...

Any pics of plated vs non plated 14k gold?

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
I ordered white gold last Ering I bought. never again.. attached picture. Just ordered new rings.. platinum baby.. I won't look back.
001%20(Medium).jpg

nicoleanne

Shiny_Rock
Top: 14k gold
Left: 18k white gold - unplated with platinum details
Right: Platinum (900)
img_0134.jpg

From experience, unplated wg is not for every skin tone. On me, it blends in and makes my skin look a little yellow (I think). If you want true white, plat is your better option. I just got quoted $60 per piece for rhodium plating (I won't solder my rings)... that's $120 every year? No thanks. Platinum is more upfront, but I'll gladly pay it.

You might need to polish your platinum to keep it shiny, but at least you don't lose metal that way.

Honestly, if you are getting a 2ct stone, I can't fathom how a few extra hundred is that big of a deal... :confused:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kaaty|1371556547|3467938 said:

Not 14k but lots of pics of unplated 18k wg colours here as well: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/question-for-those-of-you-with-unplated-wg.178531/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/question-for-those-of-you-with-unplated-wg.178531/[/URL]

Colour can vary pretty startlingly depending on exact alloy/composition - would advise that you don't go into it assuming all unplated 14k WG types will look the same. Beautiful, IMO, but can be a PITA to match metal colour w/ other pieces unless you know the exact alloy and find a jeweller who is willing to possibly mix up a specialty batch for you...

I love unplated WG and will never go back to another metal - the colours fascinate me ::)

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1371594217|3468317 said:
kaaty|1371556547|3467938 said:

Not 14k but lots of pics of unplated 18k wg colours here as well: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/question-for-those-of-you-with-unplated-wg.178531/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/question-for-those-of-you-with-unplated-wg.178531/[/URL]

Colour can vary pretty startlingly depending on exact alloy/composition - would advise that you don't go into it assuming all unplated 14k WG types will look the same. Beautiful, IMO, but can be a PITA to match metal colour w/ other pieces unless you know the exact alloy and find a jeweller who is willing to possibly mix up a specialty batch for you...

I love unplated WG and will never go back to another metal - the colours fascinate me ::)

It's true. I have an antique ring with an unplated white gold head on yellow gold shank and I don't consider it yellowish. I have no idea what the alloy is...

ladybfire.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Is 18k supposed to be yellow underneath Rhodium?…

i LOVE unplated wg. MY wedding band is a trinity with the rhodium off the 18K WG BAND, the other 2 ill post is unplated WG, dont know the alloys of any

11761-c.jpg
20130327_140849.jpguploadfromtaptalk1371130715687.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
one more 18k WB and 14k e ring, both unplated
uploadfromtaptalk1371063493250.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results