shape
carat
color
clarity

How to rekindle my love for the ring?!

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
Hey PSers!

I'm sure some of you are aware of the feeling of impending DOOM... DSS! I've gotten it only six months in! I can't mention it to the fiance or he throw the biggest hissy fit known to mankind. He's one of those "This ring is FOREVER.. and the only 'BIG' one you'll ever get. Plus, this is like our baby and we're in it for the long run."

But over the past two months I've been getting DSS, and quite frankly it's full blown now and I'm trying to convince myself that I don't hate the ring. Don't get me wrong, I do like the ring. But I want more finger coverage, more sparkly and chunky and just completely something else and I feel like I've outgrown it. I can't get another ring (although I'm put into motion thinking of selling most of my diamond jewelry collection to fund myself a super sparkly five stone which hopefully will cure it for a very long time to come but I'm not sure where I can go besides ebay and JBEG consignment to get the best deal). I've thought about haloing it but it's a D color ring but I think the setting that it's in right now makes light come in from both the sides and some of the bottom so it makes it sparklier.... so might defeat the purpose.

So what can I do?! Any tips on how to make an emerald cut sparklier or look bigger without doing deep surgery so I can keep my sanity? ;(

My ideas so far:
1. Wash it every night and stay in the sunlight when I walk. (I try)
2. "Forget" to wear it for a couple days so when I wear it again it seems bigger (works for like an hour)
3. Install LED lights, like the ones used in the jewlery store in my room and maybe in anyplace I sit for more than ten minutes.
4. See if BGD will come up with a super idea for a halo that still looks classic/elegant without really covering the ring?
5. Remind myself I should be super grateful for what I have and that I'm being a brat to him. ( :(sad )
6. Sell everything else to get the five stone but know that I probably will not get a good price on my diamond jewlery collection.
7. Hold it right in front of my eyes so it looks like a GIANT diamond every time I need to look at it.
8. Try to do some finger excersizes and get my finger size smaller!
9. ...

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
9. Stop surfing on PS.

I feel ya. I was the same way. Try to step away from PS for a bit to regain perspective. Your ering's probably nicer than a lot of people around you.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
I had taken a hiatus from PS since April until about two weeks ago. For some reason I didn't think about that as an option, but I might have to do it again but for a longer period of time. I realized that my ct size seems to be average around my peers and workplace and I know, I should really focus on #5.
But what else shall replace my daily junkie fix of diamonds if that is the only solution?! Facebook? Knitting?... Pearls? :)

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
With the way economy is going, thank god for the blessing of owning it, we are in a rough ride for a while!

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
Doc_1,

10. A firm kick in the kaboodle from a fellow PSer :cheeky:

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Can you let someone else wear it for a few minutes? I have big hands (size 8.5) and felt like my 1.13 ct wasn't giving me enough coverage at first. My BFF tried it on her hand (same size as mine) while she was sitting across from me at dinner and I realized how much coverage it really gave, which totally got me over my DSS (for a while at least!).

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all your humerous ideas to fight your DS issue. But seriously, step back from the diamond and jewelry forums for awhile. You have only had the ring six months so ask yourself what is driving your desire for a bigger diamond. If after stepping back from the forums you find yourself seriously wanting a bigger diamond then I would plan on selling some of your jewelry to fund your next ring. A lot of us do that.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Halo halo halo.... light getting in from the sides and bottom does not make much difference in a well cut stone, it will make all the difference in the size of the diamond.

What size is your stone now? What is your ideal size?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, halo or 3 stone if you are allowed to reset in the future. Emeraldlover has my all time favorite haloed emerald.
It doesnt overpower the stone but just highlights it nicely.

Page 2 second post down for pics
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rings-from-ps-you-lust-over-and-you-keep-coming-back-to.135660/page-2?hilit=emeraldlover//

(for some reason I cant drag pictures anymore :(( )

Have you dont a search on PS for an emerald thread? You might find some other settings you like (if you are allowed to do that).

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Step away from the PS ma'am.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cinna, my vote is that you post a picture of your ring (I can't find it anywhere!) and then we will tell you how much we all love
it and how giant it is and you will feel better. :love: After that, the only cure is to step away from PS and tell yourself
how lucky you are to have such a beautiful ring over and over.

Seriously, cultivating thankfulness is the best antidote. I tend to forget how really blessed I am when I focus on what I don't have,
but when I am consciously thankful for what I do have, the negative feelings go away.

But seriously, post the baby so we can drool and tell you how wonderful it is! :naughty:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle said:
Cinna, my vote is that you post a picture of your ring (I can't find it anywhere!) and then we will tell you how much we all love
it and how giant it is and you will feel better. :love:

Here here! Bring on the pictures! Only then can we detemine whether your wishes are valid or whether you are a spoiled brat... like the rest of us :halo:

stci

Ideal_Rock
MonkeysInk said:
Can you let someone else wear it for a few minutes? I have big hands (size 8.5) and felt like my 1.13 ct wasn't giving me enough coverage at first. My BFF tried it on her hand (same size as mine) while she was sitting across from me at dinner and I realized how much coverage it really gave, which totally got me over my DSS (for a while at least!).

I agree with this solution. Great idea!

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
BTW... I did # 7 "Hold it right in front of my eyes so it looks like a GIANT diamond every time I need to look at it" all the way home on my commute and I looked like a complete crazy lady :rodent:

MonkeysInk: I think that's what started my downward spiral! My "friend" has the same ring size as myself, and also has a penchance to outdo everyone else as well as making sure to point it out. We switch rings at her request and goes "ehhh.." when putting mine on and then when I put hers on, she goes "OMG. IT LOOKS SO HUGE on you!" Her e-ring is a 1.60 RB, while mine is a 1.53 EC.

LisaRN: I try to make light of every situation, and I have stopped opening threads that has a centerstone over 2.0 ct. ;))

Dreamer: 1.53 D Emerald Cut, I might have to look into that then, wonder if there's a halo that I can just add on? ::) I took some pictures and some reason they suddenly look bigger than they do in real life!!! I totally think I'm being the brat >.< ... but I now want a 1.8-2.0 ct AVC or OEC.

Motownamama: I'm hoping that will be the blingly factor by getting a shiny five stone about 1.5 ctw and cure myself of this horrid disease!

tyty: OMG. Back in January I saw EmeraldLover's halo and thought that her Tacori would be the role model for mine, however even though it is BEYOND STUNNING, I thought when it was in the temporary setting, for some reason it seemed to look bigger on her hand. If I were to halo I think I would ask for something similar.

Rosetta: :lol: *laughs maniacally* :twisted:

luv2sparkle: All I have to say is <3 This is why I can't stay away!!! I feel better already!

Stone-Cold: I haven't heard of such a thing! I'll have to google the heck out of it!

Just took this picture very quickly with my cell phone so bear with me! ... all of a sudden it looks big! Why is my mind playing tricks on me?!?!

ps2.jpg

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I love your ring. Though if you wanted a little more "size" I think doing a Halo like EmeraldLover would make your ring STUNNING.

Are you thinking of the 5 stone to wear with you ering???

:bigsmile:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is big already, no doubt. But if you want something different, then you want something different! My first love was the EC but learned soon it is not blingy enough for my preferences. Its hard to know what you want when you don't exactly own tonnes of diamonds before you get your one and only, right?

If it were me and I had an upgrade policy then I would drop to a G color and for the same money get the large EC or RB or whatever it was that I wanted. But your Dh is against it... why men care I will never understand :Up_to_something: but there are a lot who do judging by posts here. Sometimes the whole ring thing turns into more than just the ring I think and instead becomes some sort of power struggle in the relationship. You will have to negotiate a solution with him I guess!

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
Cinna, your ring is gorgeous and not "small" by any means! If you were to go lower in color, you may not like that either after owning a D.

I had to stop going to the Purse Forum because I wanted more and more Hermes. I finally came to realize that, "what the f*** am I thinking? There are so many people who would love to have just one." When I first read your story, I, too, thought you should stop PS for a while.

Your ring is beautiful and a classic - If I happened to be standing in line with you, I couldn't help but stare at it and comment on its beauty.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I have a 20 point ring I wear for a while and then all my other diamonds look huge. Keep it clean. Get a blingy wedding band or guard. And yes, stop looking at jewelry online.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cinna said:
I had taken a hiatus from PS since April until about two weeks ago. For some reason I didn't think about that as an option, but I might have to do it again but for a longer period of time. I realized that my ct size seems to be average around my peers and workplace and I know, I should really focus on #5.
But what else shall replace my daily junkie fix of diamonds if that is the only solution?! Facebook? Knitting?... Pearls? :)
become a colored stoner - you can get a huge colored rock (or several) and mount them in every way you imagined in every cut shape imagined.... that should keep you busy until you're 20th anniversary ;-)

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly...when i saw the ring, i was wondering whether it is really the ring that got you so obsessed with DSS and made you write that loooong post asking for help. That ring is very big and blingy and impressive...it is absolutely gorgeous and the size is soooooo much bigger than what most ladies receive in real world and still very big according to PS standards. I honestly think that you should snap out of those thoughts and put things in a different perspective. Indeed you should stay away from PS for a while....because i can very well understand why a man who has offered to his fiancee a ring of that size, doesn't want to hear anything about upgrading.....you know? Feel blessed and happy and content....wear your gorgeous ring in good health... ;))

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
natyLad said:
Honestly...when i saw the ring, i was wondering whether it is really the ring that got you so obsessed with DSS and made you write that loooong post asking for help. That ring is very big and blingy and impressive...it is absolutely gorgeous and the size is soooooo much bigger than what most ladies receive in real world and still very big according to PS standards. I honestly think that you should snap out of those thoughts and put things in a different perspective. Indeed you should stay away from PS for a while....because i can very well understand why a man who has offered to his fiancee a ring of that size, doesn't want to hear anything about upgrading.....you know? Feel blessed and happy and content....wear your gorgeous ring in good health... ;))

This.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous. And has great coverage. Honestly I love it.

I think I know what part of the problem is though. One step cut owner to another. The steps draw you IN, toward the center of the stone. It's an optical illusion. Makes you think it is smaller than it is. When you look at your stone, your eyes are probably drawn to the keel of the EC instead of the size of it on your finger. My Asscher used to do that. I'd look at cushions and radiants at similar spread, and they looked larger to me.

Then I haloed it in a setting with fiery round brilliants around it and.. BAM. LOTS of light, no DSS and super duper finger coverage.

BUT, if it were MINE, I'd just try to leave it off and wear it only on weekends or something.

And then maybe later re-set it like this (only with different proportions and smaller prongs, I like the center diamond being the showplace).

3351422852_be1dbf96f8_z.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another solution is to set it in a solitaire with some hugely blingy bands flanking it.

Or like the other ring here (again, different proportions and prongs on the center. I'd milgrain the bezels of the sidestones).

ring_fjfj_2.jpg

Art_Deco_Platinum_Five_Stone_Diamond_Antique_Ring.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
It's huge.

It's gorgeous.

You have beautiful hands.

*slaps cinna with a wet fish and runs away*

reader

Brilliant_Rock
No matter what size your stone or your finger is, everyone experiences DSS. What I found works? Stand in front of the bathroom mirror and take pics of your hands in those silly poses stars use for magazines whenever they just 'happen' to flash their rings for the photographers. When you see how your hands stack up to a lot of celeb rings, and on par with royal ones, you will be quite pleased.

I also think there should be a swap and borrow site for rings. I adore emerald cuts, and would love to spend the day playing with one in various lights and photographing it.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's GORGEOUS- THAT THING IS A GIANT ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just keep coming back and reading that. See, I told you we could make you feel better.

It's true, everyone get DSS to some degree or another. Your ring is a great size. Most of the population are lucky to get an upgrade
that size so just try to enjoy it. Cultivate gratitude for what you have, it works.

Your ring is beautiful!!!!!

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is stunning, and I think that it offers great finger coverage. Also, it sounds like you really loved it before DSS sunk in.

What carat weight is the norm in your area? PS really can change your perception about diamond size: I was so accustomed to seeing the larger stones on here, but then I started looking at the engagement rings of women in my area. I found that most diamonds that I see here are under 1 carat, and I only know a few people with diamonds in the 1.5 carat range.

My engagement ring is 1.53 carats (I don't actually have it yet, but my FF and I already had it made), and it is a princess cut. After looking at countless 1-1.5 carat diamonds in stores, and also after browsing PS, 1.5 carat diamonds didn't seem quite as large as they did when we first started looking. I now realize that 1.5 carts will seem huge to most people that I know, and also that having anything larger might just make me feel out of place and self-conscious. Also, the more I look at others' rings, the larger mine seems to be.

It really is just all a matter of perspective. :)

mommy2nk

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is beautiful!!! I have to agree about the stepping away from Diamond Forums for awhile. Last year I was having problems with my e-rings shank and I really wanted to have it reset. This was not feasible so I just had it repaired, but I was on PS a lot and wanted to reset, upgrade, have everyoe else's ring. I was going batty!! :errrr: I ended up not coming on PS for almost a year and that all went away (sort of, still planning a reset someday :naughty: ). I just recently started coming back to PS because for one, I had money to spend, and 2. PS is the place to figure out where to spend it..hehe! I was researching a 5 stone from BGD. I got the nightingale and it gives amazing coverage! Of course in the process of my research I am thinking of all sorts of ways to upgrade my setting again!! I thought I could have used the money on a reset of my diamond (upgrade of diamond is not a possibility) but instead I used it for the 5 stone and now I have bling on both hands.. :appl:
I will be saving up some money to reset my diamond or possibly just add to my collection again, but in the meantime I will be exiting PS to save my sanity... Good luck with your ring, it truly is a remarkable ring! Enjoy it and yes be thankful, and of course if it is possible get a 5 stone ring they are amazing!! :sun:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results