shape
carat
color
clarity

Help picking a Radiant

redrocket

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I've read a lot about radiant cut diamonds and I find the search for a nice one to be overwhelming. I'm looking for a 1ct radiant cut diamond to fit a setting which I already have. What confuses me a lot is the table and depth %'s. If I understand correctly, table % should be less than depth % and both these %s should be in the mid 50's to to mid 60's.

For the radiant cut connoisseurs, what is your opinion on this diamond:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4859/

I'm not really sure how to properly read the ASET image. Also, the depth % at 76.40% seems high. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Red

slg47

Ideal_Rock
you can't really go by numbers on radiant cuts...thats why images and ASETs are useful. this one looks pretty nice if that is the appearance you are going for (radiants can have a number of different appearances!)

redrocket

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sig. The problem I'm having is when I search the diamond databases and all I come up with is the raw data. This is one of the few sites that I've found with images.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That one looks really nice to me! And I love this one:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7884/

It really is impossible to choose a radiant without pictures! Good Old Gold has some pretty ones. If they don't have exactly what you want, I would call them and they can see if the cutters of those two have any more with the specs you want.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You say you want a stone to fit a setting your currently have. For this is would be best to quote the size you need in mm and not carat as not all carats measure the same. Also what kind of budget are you looking at?

redrocket

Rough_Rock
Excuse my ignorace but how do I find out the size needed in mm? All I know is that the setting holds up to a 1 ct emerald or radiant cut, should I ask more details about the setting? If so, what should I ask?

Diamondseeked2006: The image of the .98 radiant I posted doesn't look as good the 1.05 radiant you posted? What do you think is the reason for this? The 1.05 looks much cleaner and less yellowish yet the specs are similar. Maybe because it's a Lucerne radiant?

Also, these diamonds aren't GIA. Does this matter?

Thanks for the replies.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would definitely take the setting to a jeweler and ask the minimum and maximum measurements for the centre stone it can hold. No point finding a nice diamond and then finding it won't fit.

Also when comparing photos of diamonds consider the effects of lighting, etc which is different in every room. Even a E will look yellow in a yellow walled room in candle light.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redrocket|1326299992|3100376 said:
Excuse my ignorace but how do I find out the size needed in mm? All I know is that the setting holds up to a 1 ct emerald or radiant cut, should I ask more details about the setting? If so, what should I ask?

Diamondseeked2006: The image of the .98 radiant I posted doesn't look as good the 1.05 radiant you posted? What do you think is the reason for this? The 1.05 looks much cleaner and less yellowish yet the specs are similar. Maybe because it's a Lucerne radiant?

Also, these diamonds aren't GIA. Does this matter?

Thanks for the replies.

First of all. it is always best to buy the stone first and then the setting. But that said, you are probably fine with the setting you have. Worst case scenario is that they might have to replace the head to make the stone fit assuming it just has prongs and is not a diamond halo or something.

I think the photos are just different because of different backgrounds and lighting. Both should be very white due to being in the colorless range. As far as the lab reports go, we normally encourage GIA and AGS. But the Lucere is a specialty cut and they must be sending their stones to that other lab for some reason. That is pretty much immaterial to me because I know if no vendor that does a better job of screening stones than GOG. You definitely have to worry about lab reports at random jewelers because many are simply dishonest. But that is definitely not the case with GOG.

I like both of the stones. Honestly, I would ask for some video of 2 or 3 stones that you might be considering because I think it would help to see them in different lighting next to each other.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Buying a radiant cut diamond to fit into an existing ring: This can be far more problematic than one might anticipate.
It's not only LxW measurements that need to fit- but also corner variation, and the pavilion ( back of the diamond) may have a bulge or other aspects that may hamper setting in a stock setting.
It was suggested that changing the head can cure this- but in many cases, the head is integral ( part of the ring) and difficult or impossible to change.
You need to show the ring and stone to the setter to know what will need to be done.

RedRocket, yes, consider only stones with GIA, or AGSL gradings, if you want an accurate color clarity grade.
Finally, it's great to find a vendor that has photos, videos, and other means of demonstrating a well cut diamond.
However there's many different types of Radiant Cut Diamonds, and some vendors carry only one sort.

redrocket

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I meant to say I have the setting picked out, I have not made the purchase yet. It's a designer setting and I do believe the head is an intergral part. However, I think since the setting is not in stock and has to be ordered directly through the designer it can be somewhat adjusted to the diamond's specifications.

The Lucerne diamond seems quite pricey for those specs. Is it the "lucerne" name that's driving it up?

My budget is 5K-8K.

redrocket

Rough_Rock
The measurements are as follows: 6.3-6.6 X 4.5-5.5 mm. Is it safe if I stay within these parameters?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Red,
Do you mean that's what size the ring takes?
That's a fairly wide range of size - depending on the type of head.
Does the ring maker manufacture parts specifically for each center diamond?

redrocket

Rough_Rock
I'm finding picking a radiant online to be difficult. What do you all think of the AVC instead? They seem to be way more expensive; however, those videos really impressed me. Anyone purchase an AVC and is happy with their decision?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
redrocket|1326497631|3102454 said:
I'm finding picking a radiant online to be difficult. What do you all think of the AVC instead? They seem to be way more expensive; however, those videos really impressed me. Anyone purchase an AVC and is happy with their decision?

there are a LOT of avc owners on pricescope.

however if you really want a radiant, I would find a picture or video of one that you like and ask PS or a vendor to find you a similar one.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
For what it's worth, the first one you posted looks like a stunning stone (I bookmarked it a while ago to buy for myself once I've saved up enough!), but it's not a typical radiant. It has a look much more reminiscent of a princess than a radiant. If you're looking for a square radiant with more of a classic radiant look, I don't see too many on GOG. Here are a few that might fit the bill:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Premium-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1356845.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS1-Premium-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1346293.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Premium-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1301511.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-VS2-Premium-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1373141.asp

This one isn't square, but the cut caught my eye...it's one of the nicest rectangular radiants I've seen:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VVS1-Premium-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1336987.asp

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results