shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Grading question

Rose974

Rough_Rock
Because I'm a little paranoid....

I bought a gemstone ring that was certified by the GIA and I'm not worried about that I'm just wondering about the 10 diamonds around the gemstone
On the cert it says, "Set in a white metal ring with numerous near colorless round brilliants"

I was wondering if the GIA would know/tell if those diamonds were in fact real or fake since it was already mounted.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose974|1483410295|4111736 said:

I bought a gemstone ring that was certified by the GIA and I'm not worried about that I'm just wondering about the 10 diamonds around the gemstone
On the cert it says, "Set in a white metal ring with numerous near colorless round brilliants"

I was wondering if the GIA would know/tell if those diamonds were in fact real or fake since it was already mounted.

GIA only grades loose diamonds that are 0.15 ct and above.
If the diamonds in the halo weigh less than 0.15 ct each GIA won't grade them.
If they are 0.15 or above you could remove them and pay for 10 GIA reports.
I suspect nearly nobody pays to get halo diamonds graded.

This is one reason you want to buy from a jeweler who is highly reputable and trustworthy.

You could take your ring to a reputable appraiser if you want to pay for an independent opinion whether the seller was honest when calling them 'near-colorless'.
Even then whatever the appraiser says is not as precise since the diamonds are not loose.
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers

BTW, GIA does not "certify" diamonds; it grades them ... subject to the disclaimer fine print on the back of your GIA report.
Unfortunately many sellers use the term "certify" to help buyers feel warm and fuzzy and help make sales.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA is a college. They teach gemology to whoever will pay them, which is pretty much the entire industry. What you're seeing is a report written by some GIA graduate, not by GIA themselves. Do their graduates know what they're doing? Some of them. (I'm a GIA graduate for example). Some don't. Some will give it to you straight, some won't. Identifying diamonds isn't all that difficult, and GIA definitely teaches how to do this, but whether or not the report you have is reliable is an entirely different question.

Rose974

Rough_Rock
kenny|1483415499|4111767 said:

This is one reason you want to buy from a jeweler who is highly reputable and trustworthy.

You could take your ring to a reputable appraiser if you want to pay for an independent opinion whether the seller was honest when calling them 'near-colorless'.
Even then whatever the appraiser says is not as precise since the diamonds are not loose.

BTW, GIA does not "certify" diamonds; it grades them ... subject to the disclaimer fine print on the back of your GIA report.
Unfortunately many sellers use the term "certify" to help buyers feel warm and fuzzy and help make sales.

Thanks for the info....each diamond is just a little less than half a carat.

Just a little confused by this...."You could take your ring to a reputable appraiser if you want to pay for an independent opinion whether the seller was honest when calling them 'near-colorless'."

The seller said it was G colored diamonds, the GIA called them near colorless. I'm curious how the GIA knows that if they don't check the diamonds? Anyway, thanks for your help

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose974|1483463848|4111902 said:
kenny|1483415499|4111767 said:

Thanks for the info....each diamond is just a little less than half a carat.

Just a little confused by this...."You could take your ring to a reputable appraiser if you want to pay for an independent opinion whether the seller was honest when calling them 'near-colorless'."

The seller said it was G colored diamonds, the GIA called them near colorless. I'm curious how the GIA knows that if they don't check the diamonds? Anyway, thanks for your help

Why do you state, "GIA called them near colorless"?
If GIA graded them they issued an individual report on each with a clarity letter grade, not a range, such as 'near colorless'.

I can guess.
A person, educated by GIA, called them near colorless.
That is NOT the same as GIA itself grading them ... IOW GIA itself did not call them near colorless.

If I graduated from Yale, and later state something that's not the same as Yale University stating something.
My guess is an appraiser or jeweler who got some education at GIA called them near colorless, and you interpreted (or she/he mislead you) this as GIA itself stating the grade range.
IMO this is a red flag; it reflects poorly on whom you bought this ring from.

ETA: I see Neil already covered this. :oops:

BTW you are free to spend the money to have the 10 diamond removed from the ring and sent to GIA for grading.
GIA offers, depending on the carat weight, 3 or 4 report options with price varying from $32 to $64 for each diamond.
Then there's the fee for unsetting and resetting them, plus shipping and insurance.
It will take weeks, perhaps months, for GIA to do this, unless you pay double to rush the grading.
https://www.gia.edu/gem-lab-fee-schedule

Nearly nobody does this for halo diamonds, but you certainly may if being certain of the exact grades is important to you.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The document you are looking at was not issued by GIA.

GIA laboratory issues no documents they call a cert, certificate or appraisal.
They do not offer a service they call certification.
They do not issue reports of any kind about jewelry.
They offer no services where they indicate the color of the metal (or anything at all about metal for that matter)
They do not use the phrase 'near colorless' in any of their documents.
They do not describe stones as 'round brilliants'. (They call things round brilliant cut, but that's a slightly different phrasing)
They do not use the word 'fake'.
If they were to have examined and graded 10 diamonds, you would have 10 reports.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Near-colorless is a range from G to J. The typical cz that you find in stores is a D equivalent colorless. If you don't want to pay for an appraisal, hold the ring up to a colorless cz and see if you don't find tint in those sidestones. If it's J, then I suspect you could see that much tint from the side or at a tilt, although "they" have an adage that it's hard to gauge tint in mounted diamonds under 1/3 ct. If they are I or J or lower, you would *definitely* see a tint in them compared to your D colorless cz.

Or you could buy a loupe, or take the ring to a jeweler and borrow theirs, and look for inclusions. Many melee' diamonds will have some.

If the side stones aren't diamond, about the the only thing they'd be if they are not glare-blueish-white CZ is Moissanite. And Moissanite has a completely different facet pattern from diamonds, regardless of whether the diamonds are full cut or single cuts. It would also test as not-diamond with a *modern* diamond tester, although the old testers could not tell the difference. I suppose that antique rings might have some kind of glass stones, but I think those would be pretty hard to pass off as diamond. Old fakes weren't nearly as good as cz and newer fakes. :D

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

The others here (appraisers and diamond vendors) have answered your questions, but I just want to add that the document you have is likely an appraisal/valuation provided by a GIA graduate, but not by GIA directly. What you say is a "cert," is likely just a document describing the piece for selling/insurance purposes. With any luck, it's accurate and you can trust it, but most good consumers know to double-check these types of things unless buying from a reputable seller (and even then, it's nice to have someone else confirm details). I suggest taking the piece to a reputable appraiser and have them confirm the details. They can test the stones to verify they are the correct material as per the bill of sale. There are ways to test diamonds without unmounting them. The "near colorless" is just an estimate--my appraisals also say similar things.

Rose974

Rough_Rock
rubybeth|1483465905|4111912 said:

The others here (appraisers and diamond vendors) have answered your questions, but I just want to add that the document you have is likely an appraisal/valuation provided by a GIA graduate, but not by GIA directly. What you say is a "cert," is likely just a document describing the piece for selling/insurance purposes. With any luck, it's accurate and you can trust it, but most good consumers know to double-check these types of things unless buying from a reputable seller (and even then, it's nice to have someone else confirm details). I suggest taking the piece to a reputable appraiser and have them confirm the details. They can test the stones to verify they are the correct material as per the bill of sale. There are ways to test diamonds without unmounting them. The "near colorless" is just an estimate--my appraisals also say similar things.

Hi Rubybeth, Yes that makes sense. I don't know much about GIA grading i.e. what makes it by the GIA directly vs. a graduate. I mean I can type the report number into the GIA search engine and it comes up so I don't understand some of the other answers but I am guessing the appraiser didn't take a look at the halo diamonds. I did notice someone replied that I could get a diamond tester. I didn't know those existed for customers to buy, so I'll probably use that. It is an antique ring, looks genuine but like I said, I'm just a little paranoid. Thanks!

Rose974

Rough_Rock
AdaBeta27|1483465653|4111911 said:

Near-colorless is a range from G to J. The typical cz that you find in stores is a D equivalent colorless. If you don't want to pay for an appraisal, hold the ring up to a colorless cz and see if you don't find tint in those sidestones. If it's J, then I suspect you could see that much tint from the side or at a tilt, although "they" have an adage that it's hard to gauge tint in mounted diamonds under 1/3 ct. If they are I or J or lower, you would *definitely* see a tint in them compared to your D colorless cz.

Or you could buy a loupe, or take the ring to a jeweler and borrow theirs, and look for inclusions. Many melee' diamonds will have some.

If the side stones aren't diamond, about the the only thing they'd be if they are not glare-blueish-white CZ is Moissanite. And Moissanite has a completely different facet pattern from diamonds, regardless of whether the diamonds are full cut or single cuts. It would also test as not-diamond with a *modern* diamond tester, although the old testers could not tell the difference. I suppose that antique rings might have some kind of glass stones, but I think those would be pretty hard to pass off as diamond. Old fakes weren't nearly as good as cz and newer fakes. :D

Thanks for your reply! I did what you said, doesn't look anything like a CZ.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting....Rose- can we have the GIA report number to see it ourselves?

There was a GIA product for mounted diamonds- and the grades were more ambiguous than the reports we're used to looking at. I believe GIA stopped offering it a few years back.

Other than that this sound like an appraisal being passed off as a GIA document...which is a no-no....but happens all the freakin time.

Rose974

Rough_Rock
Rockdiamond|1483466628|4111917 said:

There was a GIA product for mounted diamonds- and the grades were more ambiguous than the reports we're used to looking at. I believe GIA stopped offering it a few years back.

Other than that this sound like an appraisal being passed off as a GIA document...which is a no-no....but happens all the freakin time.

Yes, here is the report number --

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose974|1483466464|4111914 said:
rubybeth|1483465905|4111912 said:

Hi Rubybeth, Yes that makes sense. I don't know much about GIA grading i.e. what makes it by the GIA directly vs. a graduate. I mean I can type the report number into the GIA search engine and it comes up so I don't understand some of the other answers. I did notice someone replied that I could get a diamond tester. I didn't know those existed for customers to buy, so I'll probably use that. It is an antique ring, looks genuine but like I said, I'm just a little paranoid. Thanks!

"I don't know much about GIA grading i.e. what makes it by the GIA directly vs. a graduate."

GIA has two branches.
One is their labs that grade stones.
The other is a college.

After graduating from their college the graduates move on to jobs.
They do not work for GIA.
A GIA graduate calling diamonds 'near colorless' is not the same as GIA itself calling them near colorless.

"I can type the report number into the GIA search engine and it comes up so I don't understand some of the other answers."

That is probably for the center stone ... and has nothing to do with the 10 halo stones.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose974|1483466832|4111919 said:

Yes, here is the report number -- GIA REPORT 2173443126

If it is a fake, I would def. want to know

Thanks, I just learned something.
I looked up your report number here, and it's a report for a set colored stone, not a diamond.

https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2173443126

First of all your sapphire is most definitely real.

The GIA report DOES state the other stones are near colorless.
They DO grade some stones mounted ... I know they'll now grade fancy colored diamonds that are set, but only their origin-only reports.

Note the GIA sapphire report calls them near colorless but does not use the term, diamond.
This leaves it a tiny bit open.
Some would assume GIA must have tested them and if they were not diamond would have stated so ... but personally I'd prefer they actually state they are diamonds or not mention them at all.

Hmm.

ETA: Neil, since you are a GG, does this report leave you certain that those side stones are diamonds, they were mined and not lab-grown/untreated/not clarity-enhanced etc etc?

Since you've stated you're paranoid, to put your mind at ease, I'd take the above suggestions about getting the diamonds tested.

screen_shot_2017-01-03_at_10.png

Rose974

Rough_Rock
kenny|1483467153|4111922 said:

I looked up your report number here.

They DO grade some stones mounted ... I know they'll now grade fancy colored diamonds that are set, but only their origin-only reports.

Note the GIA sapphire report calls them near colorless but does not use the term, diamond.
Some would assume GIA must have tested them and if they were not diamond would have stated so ... but personally I'd prefer they actually state they are diamonds or not mention them at all.

Hmm.

Since you've stated you're paranoid, to put your mind at ease, I'd take the above suggestions about getting the diamonds tested.

Thanks Kenny, yeah that was the thing that bugged me that they didn't say if they were diamonds, I do believe they are because the seller is really reliable but for my peace of mind, I'll use a *modern* diamond tester, didn't realize those existed!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mystery solved!
Before I posted I did call GIA- and they said NO to the mounted diamond reports for D-Z stones- but I didn't ask about Sapphires.
There you go- they still offer it!
Glad we could be of service!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I stand corrected. That's definitely a GIA lab issued report on a sapphire, and they inspected it in the mounting. They didn't inspect or grade the other stones.

Identifying diamonds is pretty easy and most jewelers and even pawn shops are happy to do it for free. Frankly, I wouldn't be all that worried about it but they can normally test it while you wait and while you watch.

Rose974

Rough_Rock
denverappraiser|1483468361|4111928 said:
I stand corrected. That's definitely a GIA lab issued report on a sapphire, and they inspected it in the mounting. They didn't inspect or grade the other stones.

Identifying diamonds is pretty easy and most jewelers and even pawn shops are happy to do it for free. Frankly, I wouldn't be all that worried about it but they can normally test it while you wait and while you watch.

Thank you! I didn't realize I could ask a jeweler to do it while I was there. I didnt want to hand my ring over and leave it :oops:

Rose974

Rough_Rock
kenny|1483467153|4111922 said:

I looked up your report number here, and it's a report for a set colored stone, not a diamond.

Hmm.

ETA: Neil, since you are a GG, does this report leave you certain that those side stones are diamonds, they were mined and not lab-grown/untreated/not clarity-enhanced etc etc?

Just wanted to make clear I knew it was for a set colored stone, not a diamond. Made that clear in my initial question.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose, your sapphire stone is huge and transparent. I'd love to see a picture of this ring. I bet it's a stunner!!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And it's a color changer! And it is natural, un-heated. Very cool.

Although country of origin was not requested by the person or company who submitted it to the lab (there is an extra fee), there's a good possibility it came from Sri Lanka.

The report does not identity the metal or side stones in this report, it's just a visual description of the setting in which the stone being evaluated happened to reside in when it was sent for the colored gemstone identification report.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results