shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Course Study....where to start?? (carat weight in words = 5cts)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
I''m having a little trouble fiquring out the best way to start this long journey. I''ve registered on the site; ordered my catalogue and looked at the distance learning. I want to know every little thing I can possibly learn about gems, I know and realize it''s an ever changing market. I want to be able to walk away with a sense of direction and a degree to show myself and say hey look you did it. I know this will not be an instant journey. Baby steps and committment required. But how do I know which course to take first, second. I mean obviously some things have pre-req''s. How do you know which course to even take to achieve what you want when you''re not sure what path you want to go down, you just know it''s gems/jewelry based. I supposed I COULD call them...but I don''t want to be pressured into something and or waste the reps time.... I was thinking of doing the GG course; as it encompasses the largest amount of material and seems to be very well rounded in both learning about diamonds and colored stones. I am equally in love with each, so choosing one path doesn''t seem logical for me at this point. It''s the labs that would be a problem...Living in Jacksonville FL at the moment, nothing is really close - IE: driving distance. Who know''s where we will be in the next 5 years so we may be closer to a GIA lab for the labs. So I guess one question I have is this; Can I take all of the distance learning stuff now, and go back and do the labs at a later point?

Questions for after GG graduation: With a GG, what types of jobs are out there that I could get. Sales, not so much my thing; don''t like the pressure to hit $$ and it''s becomes all about the $$ versus a quality experience and piece. So what about appraisals? Diamond Sorting/Grading? (I am very sensative to the slightest color grades from what i have seen in person and from other aspects that deal with colors) Designing might be fun, but I can''t draw to save my life - but I sure do have tons of ideas. Do you think they''ve invented the computer that you can hook up to your brain and it interprets what you''re thinking??? LOL I wouldn''t mind at somepoint, maybe designing my own pieces and selling them in a little boutique or something where I can set the standards.....

So PS''ers who are in the business; guide and shape this young padawan.....thanks for reading and in advance for all advise offered.

rparker
30.gif
36.gif
17.gif
19.gif

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I started out taking the distance learning stuff first (and I live in NYC right next to a lab, lol) and it worked perfectly around my schedule. When you are ready for the labs you can always take a weeks ''vacation'' and take one lab at a time wherever you would like.

You can start with a general class that is very cheap and it will give you a great overview of what you are getting into. I''m very excited for you, personally I think it''s quite an adventurous field;-).

The skies the limit as to what you can do, everyone finds something that suits themselves. I love travel and gems so I leaned towards the precious stone importing.... but GIA has job postings available for Alumni looking for GG grads that will help you get a good start on whatever may interest you.

Good luck!

--Joshua

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/10/2009 3:33:50 AM
Author:rparker1998
It''s the labs that would be a problem...Living in Jacksonville FL at the moment, nothing is really close - IE: driving distance. Who know''s where we will be in the next 5 years so we may be closer to a GIA lab for the labs. So I guess one question I have is this; Can I take all of the distance learning stuff now, and go back and do the labs at a later point?
GIA offers labs at different locations throughout the year, so don''t think that you''ll have to travel to NYC or California to take the labs. I don''t know if they offer anything close to Jacksonville, but ask somebody at GIA for a schedule of the mobile labs being offered to get an idea of what cities they are offered at in your region.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Serenity & Todd, thank you for the input and feedback. Sorry for the ramblings'' it was 4:45 in the am.....I am 90% sure I want to do this. Just need to make the final push/clarification with hubby

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
For those of you who are in the business: Would it make a difference to you if you were looking to hire someone and they had a distance learning diploma (accredited by a different board) than one who went to the actual campus?

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/18/2009 10:41:38 PM
Author: rparker1998
For those of you who are in the business: Would it make a difference to you if you were looking to hire someone and they had a distance learning diploma (accredited by a different board) than one who went to the actual campus?

No preference, however we hired Holly a few years ago because she was taking the GIA course by ''correspondence'' and came in to check out our equipment and ask a bunch of questions... Four hours later I offered here a job.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/19/2009 12:29:24 PM
Author: Todd Gray
Date: 10/18/2009 10:41:38 PM

Author: rparker1998

No preference, however we hired Holly a few years ago because she was taking the GIA course by 'correspondence' and came in to check out our equipment and ask a bunch of questions... Four hours later I offered here a job.
In entry level positions personality and customer relations is 70% of the way in the door.
Eagerness to learn another 20%
The other 10% is what you know.

Which is why I ended up blasting a hole in the wall to join the trade rather than the traditional manner of working the sales counter
17.gif

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/10/2009 12:50:34 PM

GIA offers labs at different locations throughout the year, so don't think that you'll have to travel to NYC or California to take the labs. I don't know if they offer anything close to Jacksonville, but ask somebody at GIA for a schedule of the mobile labs being offered to get an idea of what cities they are offered at in your region.
Todd, I was visiting with a friend from GIA the other day and I believe lab courses will only be taught in Calrsbad and NYC for 2010. Hopefully their presence in other cities will resume when the economy does.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/19/2009 7:39:01 PM
Author: John Pollard

GIA offers labs at different locations throughout the year, so don''t think that you''ll have to travel to NYC or California to take the labs. I don''t know if they offer anything close to Jacksonville, but ask somebody at GIA for a schedule of the mobile labs being offered to get an idea of what cities they are offered at in your region.
Todd, I was visiting with a friend from GIA the other day and I believe lab courses will only be taught in Calrsbad and NYC for 2010. Hopefully their presence in other cities will resume when the economy does.
You''re right John. I''m currently enrolled, working on my G.G. and I just spoke to admissions today about lab classes. I wanted to take them at their satellite location in Atlanta (I''m in NorCal but my parents live in Atl) but they are not offering that location next year. It will still work out though, I''ll just go to Carlsbad instead.

Hi Rparker - Once you enroll and begin the first course towards your G.G. (Diamond Essentials) you have 5 years to complete all 8 courses (including labs). I''m taking 4 courses (I''ve already completed the first 2), then the 3 labs, then the final course (Gem ID). I haven''t decided if I''m taking Gem ID in Carlsbad or online, but I have a little while before I need to decide that.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!
1.gif

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/19/2009 11:32:22 PM
Author: asscher_girl

You''re right John. I''m currently enrolled, working on my G.G. and I just spoke to admissions today about lab classes. I wanted to take them at their satellite location in Atlanta (I''m in NorCal but my parents live in Atl) but they are not offering that location next year. It will still work out though, I''ll just go to Carlsbad instead.

Bummer. Thanks for letting me know that things have changed...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

That stinks.
Think I will end up waiting until 2011 then and hopefully they will have the labs back in Chicago.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you want to make a long term comittment, then take on the first of the distance courses for Diamonds. At the same time, get a part time position in a jewelry store, or in a related place such as a diamond dealer or colored gem dealer''s place. I know this is less than common in Jacksonville but Florida is full of jewelry related places. Many are buying jewelry and that is great experience too. Wherever you work, get a handle on what things not only sell for, but what they cost, where they come from and who are the end users. Get inside the mentality of the sellers, the store employees at every level and into the consumer''s mind set, too. No harm in designing a few items for customers. They will love it if you can draw well. GIA also has courses on designing jewelry which may have more appeal to you than the gemstone part.

If the field is for you, then you can grow in the direction of your own choosing. You need work experience of any kind related to the trade, so don''t delay that part. The pay won''t be great, but getting paid something is way better than spending all your money on courses without a job to pay some bills at the same time.

ct-appr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
No matter which path you choose, the first big step is getting your GG. If you really work at it, you should be able to finish in under two years. I had a young woman that worked for me that finished in one year. If you choose the appraisal route a GG is just the first step in a long journey.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results