shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL-US Diamond- Did I pay a fair price?

Casey312

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescopers-

Thanks in advance for your help! I'd like an opinion on a diamond I purchased. We've already purchased it so I don't know why I'm even asking. I'm scared to find out the truth... but here it goes.

We had a strict $7K budget. I wanted 1.5 ct. We looked at lots of diamonds- GIA & EGL-USA. I know the difference between the two so I proceeded with caution. I found an EGL-USA diamond that I loved and it looked to be graded accurately. I looked at it under the loupe and having looked at many GIA and EGL-USA stones, I feel it was graded accurately. It seemed to be in the same class as the other GIA SI2s that I had seen. I do think the color was probably between a J & I, though, which I am ok with.

They even let me take it outside and look at it in sunlight. It was the only stone that fit our budget of that size that was pretty and I thought it had lots of fire. The jeweler is modifying an inherited setting from my family (long story...) to fit the stone.

Here's what went wrong... I remembered the specs wrong before I bought it and when I plugged it into the HCA it turned back excellent. Now it's coming back as "good- if price is a concern" when I put the correct numbers in. It is a hearts & arrows stone (the idealscope image is perfect, so I at least know this is accurate) rated as VG cut. We paid $6600 for the stone.

Here are the specs:

1.53 ct Round I SI2
Eye clean (there is a small inclusion that is visible to the naked eye when seen close and under specific lighting, but it can be hidden mostly by the prong and I couldn't see it in sunlight). Under the loupe, it was otherwise pretty clean.

Measurements: 7.28 - 7.22 x 4.61 mm
Depth: 63.5%
Table: 56%
Crown: 35.6%
Pavilion: 41.1%

Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Excellent
Cut Grade: Very Good
Hearts & Arrows
No Cutlet
Fluorescence: Faint

My untrained eye thought it was gorgeous and sparkly. Now, I know you folks at PS are VERY picky about cut and probably wouldn't touch this stone with a 10 foot pole. I know we lost some fire due to the inferior cut and that EGL-USA diamonds are graded more loosely (or at least less consistently). However, I REALLY wanted a 1.5 ct and we HAD to stay under $7K.

I felt we did good given our budget. I certainly want opinions, but please don't be mean :) I really just want to know if we paid a fair price.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Casey312|1334278513|3169768 said:
Hi Pricescopers-

1.53 ct Round I SI2
Eye clean (there is a small inclusion that is visible to the naked eye when seen close and under specific lighting, but it can be hidden mostly by the prong and I couldn't see it in sunlight). Under the loupe, it was otherwise pretty clean.

Measurements: 7.28 - 7.22 x 4.61 mm
Depth: 63.5%
Table: 56%
Crown: 35.6%
Pavilion: 41.1%

Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Excellent
Cut Grade: Very Good
Hearts & Arrows
No Cutlet
Fluorescence: Faint

My untrained eye thought it was gorgeous and sparkly. Now, I know you folks at PS are VERY picky about cut and probably wouldn't touch this stone with a 10 foot pole. I know we lost some fire due to the inferior cut and that EGL-USA diamonds are graded more loosely (or at least less consistently). However, I REALLY wanted a 1.5 ct and we HAD to stay under $7K.

I felt we did good given our budget. I certainly want opinions, but please don't be mean :) I really just want to know if we paid a fair price.
so you want me lie?... ::) how do you know it is a Heart & Arrows stone? did you look under a H&A scope? did you see 8 perfect hearts?

Casey312

Rough_Rock
The idealscope image was on the EGL certificate.

No, you can say I overpaid- I just don't want anyone to be mean and say its a piece of crap or something.

We are paying for our wedding entirely ourselves (my parents can't and his parents won't) and I want something pretty on my finger that doesn't cause us to go into debt. I know I could have gone smaller, but everyone in our circle has pretty big stones. Sometimes its b/c they went into debt, sometimes it's b/c they have a lot of money. We both make really good money, but the wedding is going to kill us financially and we don't want to go into debt.

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
I am definitely not an expert, but I understand your dilemma. Size was important to you, you looked at a lot of stones and picked one that you felt was a good color, sparkly and almost eye clean. It might not be the quality a lot of PSers would go for, but if you look down at it and love what you see, don't worry about! There is nothing wrong with maximizing your budget for size instead of one of the other Cs if that is what YOU wanted, IMO...
You could always do an online search to compare what you bought to other stones with similar specs to get some price ideas...

Casey312

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply :) I did many searches and most of the GIA stones that were under $8K had issues- table was small for the size, a mess of inclusions on the GIA report (or in the case of James Allen- ones I could see from the picture). Plus, if I purchased online, I'd have had to buy a new setting or pay someone to fix it.

PS-ers definitely have a different eye and that's great- but I just want one that doesn't look included to the naked eye, isn't yellow and sparkles :) I just wanted to make sure I didn't get ripped off- based on my search- it appears that I didn't.

It's my own fault for remembering the numbers wrong, but it's super sparkly to me. I hope most people can't tell the difference unless it's really dull, yellow or included.

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
I did a quick search and found that for the same price you can purchase a J color/Si2/very good cut GIA certified diamond.

Being a EGL diamond it is probably closer to a J or a K color and lower than SI2 also.

My best guess if that you probably could do better online if you are interested in purchasing a different diamond. Are you? I am sure we can help you with the search.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamonds are worth what they are worth, generally speaking. That diamond you bought would likely trade for the same amount if it had a GIA report -- less actually based on the research we have seen here. So what specs can you buy for that price and weight with a GIA report? You can use price to help you figure out what your diamond *really* is.

If it was priced way less than comparable GIA stones for carat weight, then it is for a reason. And unfortunately as a lay person looking at it with your loupe and assuming you can tell if it is the same as another GIA stone or not... well that is not really possible. If I had to guess, the reason that stone was sent to EGL is clarity, since when you see an EGL stone with an SI2 grade it likely means the cutter said to themselves "Hmmm if I send it to GIA then it will get an I2 and be impossible to sell. So I am sending it to EGL." That price you paid is very low for a 1.5ct stone, but whether it is fair market for what the diamond is, we cannot tell. For that you need an appraiser.

What exactly are you looking for us to say or tell you? Is it a fair price for the diamond yo ubought? Or do you want to know if it is a diamond we would recommend?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mm-to-carat-stone-conversion-chart.17578/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mm-to-carat-stone-conversion-chart.17578/[/URL]

According to this GIA chart, your stone faces up like a 1.3ctw. (bottom heavy...etc....)

By comparison, a ideal cut stone of same ctw....see dimensions/proportions....

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2676048.htm

Did you get what you want; sounds like you did and that is really all that matters...

cheers--Sharon

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
blinglover78|1334282544|3169826 said:
I did a quick search and found that for the same price you can purchase a J color/Si2/very good cut GIA certified diamond.

Being a EGL diamond it is probably closer to a J or a K color and lower than SI2 also.

My best guess if that you probably could do better online if you are interested in purchasing a different diamond. Are you? I am sure we can help you with the search.

Actually I think it is likely lower than an SI2 or J/K because he paid B&M prices and you are comparing it to online prices. In a store, those J Si2 GIA stones would likely cost more than online. But we can't know, and that is the trouble with EGL as a rule: It is really difficult to determine fair market value.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I guess I don't really understand why people purchase their diamonds and then come to a forum to ask for advice and opinions when the deal is done and they can't do anything about it.

Did you pay a fair price...no probably not. But like you said the deal is done and there isn't anything that you can do about it now, so my advice would be to forget about it. love it and down the road if you decide to upgrade come to pricescope first!!!

congratulations of your engagement! =)

Casey312

Rough_Rock
Well I guess I got ripped off. I can't do anything about it now except cry :( I guess I'm just stuck with a crappy engagement ring for the rest of my life. Now I don't even want to show my friends.

They are modifying the setting and putting it in. I wasn't able to find anything online for that price unless it was far more included than mine. I found one that I liked but it was too expensive.

lapelirroja

Shiny_Rock
Seeing an ideal scope will let you see the arrows but that is only half the story. You have to see the hearts view, which I expect is where things are wonky for your stone, given the price.

Casey312

Rough_Rock
I did come to pricescope first, like I said I wrote down the incorrect specs. I'll just try to hide my disappointment from my fiance. He was so happy we found something. Now I just feel like crying.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Casey312|1334283290|3169843 said:
Well I guess I got ripped off. I can't do anything about it now except cry :( I guess I'm just stuck with a crappy engagement ring for the rest of my life. Now I don't even want to show my friends.

They are modifying the setting and putting it in. I wasn't able to find anything online for that price unless it was far more included than mine. I found one that I liked but it was too expensive.

Not so. I just did a search using the PS engine and according to EGL + the parameters you put in (I color, S12 clarity) you paid a fair price. I did not compare EXACT dimensions, but you asked if you paid a "fair" price and you did. Moreover, you stated you thought it was sparkly and liked it, and THAT is all that matters!

Please come back with hand shots!

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Casey312|1334283564|3169847 said:
I did come to pricescope first, like I said I wrote down the incorrect specs. I'll just try to hide my disappointment from my fiance. He was so happy we found something. Now I just feel like crying.

No need. You paid a fair price for a ring you said is pretty. You wouldn't have been able to get near that size for your budget in a GIA stone. You would have been at one carat. Enjoy it for what it is... a lovely ring you need to keep very clean to keep performing at it's best.

That said, if you can return it maybe we can find you an EGL stone with better performance and get you a REAL Idealscope image before you buy. ID Jewelry would be able to help you with that.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Casey312|1334283564|3169847 said:

Casey, you were very happy with your ring before you posted right? Keep in mind, no one here can see your diamond, only you can and you think it's beautiful and your fiance thinks it's beautiful and it sounds like you have a very special setting to put it in. PSers are cut nuts, many of us value cut over all other characteristics of the stone. You valued size, most of the women in this country prefer ct size to any of the other Cs. I would also bet that the friends that you say have large engagements rings are wearing stones very very similar to the specs that your stone has. Most couples purchase their diamonds through jewelry chain stores and they all carry the same basic cuts, because that is what most of America is buying. Most people only see a big sparkly shiny diamond, and lets face it, your not walking around with a loupe, or a master set to compare diamond color, so don't worry. Every single one of us has to work within a budget and therefore have to chose which of the 4 C's matter most to us, and it's different for everyone, you and your fiance made a decision based on which of the C's you valued most. And you said yourself that you thought that you did ok and that you got a beautiful large stone!

You need to go out and show it off, as soon as you show it off to your friends and family and hear all the ooohs and aahhhs! You will start loving it all over again. I really wish they had a *hug* button because I think that you really need one! ;)) I think that you will feel much differently when you see your ring set too and when you get it on your finger and see how HUGE it is! :love:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Making an informed decision is what its all about. You did that. So good for you. Enjoy!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Don't think too much into it. You liked the diamond before and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I have antique stones that are not as well cut but I love them more than my "ideal" cut stones.

LLCALI

Rough_Rock
Casey - you did your research, looked at multiple stones graded by both GIA and EGL, and found a beautiful stone within your price range - this is something to celebrate!!!

When you are working within a budget, you are going to have to sacrifice somewhere - whether it's cut, color, clarity, etc. If that weren't the case, wouldn't we all be parading around wearing perfect 5 carat, D/IF honkers on our ring fingers?!? :naughty:

You had your heart set on a 1.5 carat stone, and now you have one! It's the best stone you could find within your budget, and that's all you can ask for. You said it has lots of fire, and I'm sure you won't be able to take your eyes off of it once you have it on your finger. As for your friends, I guarantee that they are only going to see a big, sparkly diamond when they look at your finger!

Finally, I have to say that I am obsessed with Pricescope, but it has also made me realize that ignorance is bliss. Sometimes too much information is a curse!! :lol:

Congratulations on your engagement, and please post pics for us to drool over as soon as you get the ring on your finger!!

Casey312

Rough_Rock
Awww thanks :) I actually looked at a lot of EGL and GIA- and was disappointed because they didn't look pretty enough or because they were too expensive. I' know for a fact that EGL's grading is super inconsistent because I've seen a lot of really bad I-J SI2s. I've seen some bad GIA SI2s too though. Honestly though, the one I found looks beautiful to me and I can't wait to get it. I really think I got lucky (well maybe not lucky since I looked at a ton of EGLs before I found one that I liked). I literally scrutinized it at every angle and various light conditions and it sparkles plenty for me.

I'm glad I got the 1.5. Now I'm worried that it's too small because I probably won't ever upgrade an EGL stone. Ugh... I think I'm thinking about this too much. It'll probably look huge on my finger!

I'll definitely post pics :) I can't wait to get it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please post pics! I'm sure it's going to look HUGE on your finger.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Casey I saw the two posts that you deleted above as Kimberlisco, posting in this thread and replying as if you were the OP. I guess you logged into your other account and forgot you had done so when you posted here, in the thread you have started as Casey?

Casey312

Rough_Rock
Haha yeah- I forgot my login info so I created a new user. But when I opened it up on my work laptop, I must have already been signed in. Can I delete one of the accounts?

smoothmoose

Rough_Rock
End of the day it's just a rock. There's much bigger challenges that happen in relationship move forward. Hopefully you can find perspective on this. And it sounds like you got the best you could within your budget.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I think you can delete accounts, but you can definitely have PS Admin delete posts (hit the 'Report Concern!' button above the post).

First of all, congratulations on your engagement! :appl:

Secondly, PSers don't want to make you feel badly about your diamond. Honestly, we are just major bling enthusiasts and we don't like seeing people get taken for a ride without any information to back up their choices. I think you made an informed decision, kept within budget, and got the carat weight you needed to fit your setting. Can't wait to see it, sounds lovely!

I will also add that many PSers are enamored with vintage diamonds. These Old European Cuts and Old Mine Cuts don't have 'ideal' specs, but they have a charm and beauty all their own. And, remember the Eleanor Roosevelt quote, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

If you can and want to, you could return the diamond and we could help you find a different one, but I'm not sure that's necessary unless you really hate the diamond. But you didn't feel discomfort about it until you came back to ask about it, so I think it's more of a mind-clean thing.

Definitely come back with photos!!

jrich

Shiny_Rock
Casey just for comparison's purposes on price since that is what you asked for, I have a 1.43 K SI2 GIA EX/EX/EX, under 2.0 on the HCA with a spread of 7.26mm, and I paid 6K for the stone through IDJ. That included a small discount since they price matched to a price I saw on another website, but that is definitely lower. I might have gotten lucky though.

But you got your ring and its in your budget so I think you should be happy with what you have and good luck with wedding planning!

Jessica

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results