shape
carat
color
clarity

Designer vs. "Generic" - New Article on Top Bridal Brands

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
We've published a new article by Whiteflash vice president Bryan Boyne, G.G., which takes a look at top bridal brands and how they operate. Bryan explains the requirements that authorized resellers must meet in addition to describing pricing, service, and warranties. He also delves into the importance of custom work and copyright enforcement for consumers seeking a designer look for less.

Designer Engagement Rings: Understanding Top Designer Brands and Benefits

The purpose of this article is to examine the role of designer brands in the overall bridal jewelry market, to understand how they operate, and to compare and contrast their offerings with “generic” or non-branded jewelry. The intent is to help consumers understand the designer value proposition in order to make well informed buying decisions. In the course of talking about designer jewelry in general we will look at several individual designers and explore a bit of their history and their distinguishing characteristics.

Thanks, Bryan!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Designer vs. "Generic" - New Article on Top Bridal Brand

Excellent and informative article. What do you think about designers who make "copies" of their originals for home shopping networks? Does it cheapen the brand? I also like to see many companies are "made in America". That would entice me to buy from them. Do you have any history on Mark Morrell?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks for the kind words AprilBaby.

Regarding the copies question, I really don't know. Perhaps the ones that are doing that have such strong brands that they do not feel like it erodes their value, or that copies appeal to a completely different market and therefore that activity does not undermine the brand.

In regards to Mark Morrell, perhaps someone else can post that information. I only wrote about the bigger companies that we have ample experience with. There are other notable designers not covered in the article, several of whom are quite popular within the pricescope community.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

thank you.. interesting..

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

I think the copies make it less appealing because other people familiar with the tv shopping channels might think you bought a $200 ring when it's actually $20k. I personally wouldn't want one. That's just me. It seems like most of the designer brands though are made better than most jewelry stores that make their own settings....that's from my own shopping experience.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I guess I should thank this silly spammer for bringing this article - which I missed the first time around - to my attention. Thanks, Bryan, for the article! Since it's now two years old... is there anything, you'd add, or any designer/manufacturers rising to prominence that you didn't include in the original article?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

VRBeauty|1441892105|3926055 said:
I guess I should thank this silly spammer for bringing this article - which I missed the first time around - to my attention. Thanks, Bryan, for the article! Since it's now two years old... is there anything, you'd add, or any designer/manufacturers rising to prominence that you didn't include in the original article?
Thanks VR. There are are always things happening in the designer world- they are a pretty innovative bunch! Danhov is an up and comer and a section was recently added to the article about them. Naturally styles are always updating - halos are big as well as designs for cushion cuts which have increased in popularity in recent years. More rose gold is coming into the designer catalogues as well as a trend to more yellow gold.

Probably the biggest news in the designer world in the past two years is the push Ritani has been making into the online channel with both diamonds and their designer line. Their approach is unique in that they are tying in their network of authorized retailers with their e-commerce initiative through a "See in Store" program that enables online shoppers to order a diamond and a ring online directly through Ritani.com and go to their nearest Ritani dealer to see and approve it.

They are the only designer to fully embrace the multi-channel approach and they are spending tons of money in support of their vision. Whether it will be a model that other designers emulate remains to be seen. I'm sure a lot of them are watching with great interest. But it is a very expensive proposition and many retailers are still very skeptical about the concept.

You might also be interested to know that there is a new article coming soon that discusses the pros and cons of going with a designer style versus a custom design, which I know is a decision that many shoppers today confront. That article has just recently been submitted to Pricescope and should be going live soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results