shape
carat
color
clarity

Danhov Abbraccio Swirl Engagement setting

Danielc118

Rough_Rock
Gday all,

Very new user to this site. I have recently popped the question, and am on the hunt for an engagement ring for my partner.

We have looked high and low all over the net, and our favourite setting design by far has been this one.
http://danhov.com/pages/ring_detail_page.php?type=Ring&id=318&pid=318#!prettyPhotosingle

It seem's to be quite unique, I haven't seen anything else like it in 2 days of google-fu.

The major problem I am having is price. it's about double what I originally wanted to spend on the setting, but it took our breaths away!

So I am wondering if

A) Where is the cheapest place I can buy this setting, the lowest I have found is http://www.primejeweler.com/ae100.html @ 3,440 for palladium

B) Are there any other designers / manufacturers with a similar style, ie. the thin, delicate curved wire.

C) Any other similar options? we have found a few,
http://au.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?offer_id=17373&forceStep=STYLE_STEP#CustomerFeedback
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7232W44JJ

but none we really like as much :(

The diamond to go in will be a round cut, between .5ct --> .8ct depending what setting we buy, what fits etc etc, and the best cut we can afford.

I guess at this point the setting is the hardest part, as a round cut diamond is pretty much a round cut diamond in the scheme of things.

Cheers for any help,

Dan

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
You've done well searching for alternatives settings. You already posted the two that I would have suggested. There are some amazing setting peeps around here, and I'm sure that they will be around shortly to make suggestions. =)

I did want to mention though, that not all rounds are created equal. In fact around here, most of us spend as much or more time on trying to find the perfect diamond as we do the perfect setting. I would encourage you to read some of the articles under the knowledge tab about the C's, but more importantly about diamond cut, as this is what make a diamond beautiful, not it's color, not it's clarity, but it's cut. I'd all suggest that you limit your diamond search to only GIA excellent or AGS ideal cuts and avoid labs such as EGL as they are notoriously inconsistent in their grading. On the surface they appear to be a nice value, but I can promise you 99% of the time they are not. Your particular setting is going to be very blingy because of all the pave in the setting, you don't want a nice big dead diamond in the middle of it. ;-) Good Luck!

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It definitely is different. You can always check into looking for a jeweler that does cad cam.
One thought: Being that you have never seen the ring in person and tried it on, if you can find someone to do a model or something it might be helpful. I have a feeling that if she tried it on, her mind might change. It looks to be very high on the setting and the ring shank looks to be thin making it a potential for a top heavy design. In other words may swing around on the finger and you might find it on the bottom of the hand versus top. Also if you plan on wearing it everyday, it may catch on alot of things.
The design looks great on paper though, just not sure if it is practical.

Also I think I found something with a swirl design that is on levy creations style number 5063. You can view a movie of it. I also saw that design I think for $1995. This one doesn't stick up in the air and would not be top heavy.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this A Jaffe one, but on Michael C Fina they are listing it at $4715 for white gold. You might be able to find it cheaper if any local jewelers near you carry A Jaffe.

A jaffe MES433.jpg

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, cool setting!

Venti25

Shiny_Rock

Danielc118

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for all the replies guys, i'm going through them now!

I have actually chatted with James Allen, and they are enquiring about the danhov in palladium, and also enquiring about using a few fewer diamonds to cut costs a little, I suggested 3 - 4 less per side of the ring. (these are almost totally covered by fingers etc)
Cheers,
Dan

Danielc118

Rough_Rock
Gday TyTy333, we did look at that ring, but my partner doesn't like the double swirl.

So, a lot more googling, and I have come across this Etsy seller.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/97928845/14k-white-gold-diamond-engagement-ring

Any opinions? to me from the pictures it looks very similar to the Danhov. I have issues buying from someone who essentially stole someone else's design (unless it's the other way round of course) but man, the price difference.

The seller is happy to sell us the setting without the stone, or set a stone of our choosing, and can work in 14k, 18k or platinum.

$1450, the setting with 14k white, $1850 in platinum.

I am thinking the setting won't be as 100% perfect as the Danhov, but for 1/3 the price....

waiting on James Allen at the moment to confirm whether they can modify the Danhov to reduce the price or not.

Cheers,

Dan

anorthrup80

Rough_Rock
That ring on ETSY looks amazing. I've been looking at that same Danhov ring, but the price is more than I'd like to spend on just a setting. Does anyone have any history of buying on ETSY or even from "BeautifulPetra"? I'm assuming it's a similar to ebay. I'm just a little worried about an expensive piece of jewelry on the internet.

Any thoughts?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Danielc118|1339573099|3215221 said:

Any opinions? to me from the pictures it looks very similar to the Danhov. I have issues buying from someone who essentially stole someone else's design (unless it's the other way round of course) but man, the price difference.

With a straight-on view of the ring, it doesn't appear that the prongs line up straight when the ring is on the finger, but maybe that's the same with the Danhov, too--hard to tell from the video. Maybe not an issue, but it would bother me.

I have no experience with that Etsy seller. I guess my advice would be... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. AND I am NOT saying that this is the case with this seller, but I have seen Lord of the Gem/Lord of the Pearl rings being sold on Etsy as 'originals' or as though the seller created them themselves, but they have even taken the exact same photos off of LOGR's eBay listings.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
rubybeth|1339613039|3215541 said:
Danielc118|1339573099|3215221 said:

With a straight-on view of the ring, it doesn't appear that the prongs line up straight when the ring is on the finger, but maybe that's the same with the Danhov, too--hard to tell from the video. Maybe not an issue, but it would bother me.

I have no experience with that Etsy seller. I guess my advice would be... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. AND I am NOT saying that this is the case with this seller, but I have seen Lord of the Gem/Lord of the Pearl rings being sold on Etsy as 'originals' or as though the seller created them themselves, but they have even taken the exact same photos off of LOGR's eBay listings.

Ditto - and the seller's bio says her hubby and friend set the stones, but it says nothing about manufacturing. Not that it's a bad thing because my Bev K is manufactured - but I also know where it was made and the quality of it. I personally wouldn't take a chance and maybe try to get one of the Gabriel&Co modified to look the way you want it to.

Danielc118

Rough_Rock
Gday All,

So I am steering away from the Etsy seller, due to unknown quality etc.

My partner is looking for opinions from people with a similar ring to this, a jeweller we went to today kind of scared us, saying that the Danhov is too thin, it will break/get damaged through normal wear, etc etc.

Has anyone had any experience with delicate settings like this?

Cheers,

Dan

Danielc118

Rough_Rock
Gday all,

Just letting you know, thanks a lot for the help!

I went through with the purchase of the Danhov ring and it is excellent.

ring2_29.jpg
ring1_30.jpg
_mg_3127.jpg
_mg_3159.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Oh, it's lovely, you should post a Show Me the Bling thread on these beauties!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results