shape
carat
color
clarity

Assistance in finding best diamond possible (tight budget)

WhiteSoxFan

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Fantastic collection of resources that you have here, I've learned a lot. I'm inching toward taking the plunge and buying an e-ring for my significant other, and if at all possible, I'd like some opinions from you, the experts, on which diamond to choose to get the best bang for my (small) buck. Unfortunately money is tight, so my budget is ideally $2200.00.

I have my heart set on the following setting, I think it would blow her away:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/18k-white-gold-pave-halo-and-shank-diamond-engagement-ring-17305w.html

This would leave me with approx. $1200 for the diamond. I know that's not much, so if I absolutely need to downgrade the setting, I will sleep on it. It looks as though I need at least a half-carat, which I would probably aim for regardless of the setting.

Is something along these lines a good choice? I've had very little experience with diamonds, so I can't judge whether or not something would be eye-clean. I've been told that diamonds that look to be in rougher-shape to me than this one are eye-clean...

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1489182.asp

Hopefully I've provided you with enough information to assist me. I realize I'm not leaving much to work with, but this is something I really want to do. I appreciate anyone's input and assistance that they can provide.

Thank you.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Re: Assistance in finding best diamond possible (tight budge

I think that setting is nice, but it's eating a lot of your budget. Any chance she'd love this just as much? http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/-18k-White-Gold-Pave-Set-Diamond-Engagement-Ring.html It doesn't have diamonds on the shank, but depending on her finger size, she may not see them all that much. It's $850 vs. $1,025 so not a huge difference, just wanted to throw the option out there. The stone you picked is an AGS000 and not a TrueHearts so you wouldn't pay the premium for that branding. You'd want to check with James Allen that it is eye clean to your standards since it's an SI1.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Welcome! I never like to dissuade anyone in their purchase--but do you realize you are spending almost half your budget on the mount?
Has your intended specifically requested a halo setting with a diamond shank? Have you tried on many rings together? Is this supposed to be a surprise where she had no input into the ring?

My thoughts is that you spend a greater portion of your budget on the diamond--unless she has specially requested this setting and has her heart set on it. (Most vendors her have a great trade in policy so if she has requested this mount--diamonds can be upsized/graded in the future.)

BTW, the diamond is a nice size. The inclusion in central (table)--would this bother you or your intended?

cheers--Sharon

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock

That is a gorgeous setting! Are YOU set on it, or is she? As stated by a previous poster, I think most of your budget should go towards the stone. I found a solitaire setting on JA that I like and it's $475 for 14kt white gold. This will leave you with $1725 for a stone. I think you could get a beautiful .50ct for that. I'm not a stone expert so I'm not going to attempt to find something.

You can use a simple solitaire now and get a blingy wedding band, or when finances allow, upgrade to the other setting you love.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...ed-shank-contemporary-solitaire-11191w14.html

WhiteSoxFan

Rough_Rock

Thank you for your replies.

Rubybeth- I never even thought about the fact that she very well may not see the diamonds on the shank very much, thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will definitely consider the mount that you referenced to free up some extra money to put toward the diamond.

canuk-gal- I'm trying to keep this a complete surprise. We are going on a road trip later this month and I plan to propose at some point along the way. From the pictures she's shown me in the past, a round diamond is a definite must-have, and it appeared as though she really liked halos. The mount that Rubybeth linked to above may be the perfect meeting point between her desires and my wallet :D

WhiteSoxFan

Rough_Rock

orbaya|1341591358|3229513 said:
You can use a simple solitaire now and get a blingy wedding band, or when finances allow, upgrade to the other setting you love.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...ed-shank-contemporary-solitaire-11191w14.html

This is a fine idea, and at the end of the day, it may have to be the route that I take. To answer your other question, I am the one who is set on the setting that I linked to originally, but I feel like she'd love it because it's very blingy.

A couple of other questions I forgot to pose:

Are pave settings really dangerous? Meaning, do stones really fall out as much as I've heard/read?

Also, how low on the color scale am I safe to go before I have to worry about the halo stones making the center stone look "bad"?

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock

You can look and see on the bottom right of the page photos of finished rings. There were a couple around the .50 so you can see what it would look like.

I like the idea of picking the JA setting without the plain shank. I decided to take a quick look at BN to see how much their pave halo was and it is the same price as JA's. But, I did find this setting. It may be a little too vintage styling for you though (I think the JA one looks modern)

http://www.bluenile.com/engagement-rings/recently-purchased-engagement-ring-details?ring_id=599283104

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, I didn't realize she liked halos. Like you said I think the setting Ruby linked might be perfect! I have a ring (not an engagement ring) that has diamonds on the shank, and while I like them, I can't appreciate how many there are because most are hidden when looking at my ring top-down. I can only see a few on each side. So, I think a halo with no diamonds on the shank is just right for you!!

I know you want the proposal to be a surprise, but have you guys ever talked about e-rings, and her giving you hints or flat out told you what she wants? If not, perhaps a more simple setting would be a good idea for now so that you don't spend half your budget on a fancy ring she may not be fond of. Either way, I personally would not want half of your budget to go to the setting, but of course that is my opinion, so ignore it if you want. :bigsmile: OTOH, if you want some extra bling, go for Ruby's suggestion.

Do you think your GF would be more focused on the style setting, or the center stone? If it's the latter, I would put my money towards that, IMO.

Can't wait to see the finished product of what you decide!

WhiteSoxFan

Rough_Rock

mandasand|1341592692|3229532 said:
You can look and see on the bottom right of the page photos of finished rings. There were a couple around the .50 so you can see what it would look like.

I like the idea of picking the JA setting without the plain shank. I decided to take a quick look at BN to see how much their pave halo was and it is the same price as JA's. But, I did find this setting. It may be a little too vintage styling for you though (I think the JA one looks modern)

http://www.bluenile.com/engagement-rings/recently-purchased-engagement-ring-details?ring_id=599283104

Wow, that is actually a really, really nice setting. To be honest, I have spent next to no time on BN because JA's prices seemed to be slightly lower to me (especially with the PS pricing, not sure if BN offers that), and I like to have the option of seeing the actual diamond. I'm assuming I can contact BN to have them confirm whether or not a stone is eye clean. That overall ring is definitely in my price range, but the center stone is of a lower cut quality than what I'm after (ideal or excellent). I want the center stone to look as close to a fire-breathing dragon as possible :angryfire: :)

I'm going to have to spend some time on the BN site now, you may have swayed me...

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

Another option to maximize your budget is to find a halo from a manufacturer like Gabriel & CO from ID Jewelry and have them find you the biggest stone with the best optics in your budget.

Something like this is $995 at IDJ:
http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_28&products_id=11315&cType=ER

Also look through these (halos between $500 and $1000 and see if IDJ can get any of the less expensive ones for you). Sometimes they even offer discounts off MSRP.
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/styles?style=Halo&price=500-1000&sort_by=price

If she wants a halo, get her a halo. Don't compromise with a solitaire. If I had put the extra setting money towards my stone and not gotten a halo, I would NOT have been happy with my ring. I'm happy with a smaller stone and the beautiful presence of a halo. :)

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock

Diva - oh...I like the Gabriel idea! I just didn't even think they would be in his budget!! But, alas...here is a search for halos between $500-1000. Don't pay TOO much attention to the MSRP - if you purchase the setting and stone from IDJ or Good Old Gold, you should get a small discount.

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/styles/engaged?style=Halo&price=500-1000

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

webdiva|1341594668|3229554 said:
Another option to maximize your budget is to find a halo from a manufacturer like Gabriel & CO from ID Jewelry and have them find you the biggest stone with the best optics in your budget.

Something like this is $995 at IDJ:
http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_28&products_id=11315&cType=ER

Also look through these (halos between $500 and $1000 and see if IDJ can get any of the less expensive ones for you). Sometimes they even offer discounts off MSRP.
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/styles?style=Halo&price=500-1000&sort_by=price

If she wants a halo, get her a halo. Don't compromise with a solitaire. If I had put the extra setting money towards my stone and not gotten a halo, I would NOT have been happy with my ring. I'm happy with a smaller stone and the beautiful presence of a halo. :)

Yes, I agree! Get the halo!

WhiteSoxFan

Rough_Rock

Thanks again for everyone's input. I think I am going to go with BN because the setting that mandasand provided is really nice, and I think my girlfriend will love it. BN's diamond search tool is a bit scarier to me as a noob, since there are no pictures. Can I call/email them to ask if the diamond is eye-clean?

What does everyone think of the specs on this one?

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP&track=tab#diamonds_forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP|builder=BYOR|pid=LD02417696

Does anyone see any other diamonds (up to $100 more) that would be a better choice to inquire about?

Am I making a bad choice by not taking the advice from other users? Thanks again, everyone. I really appreciate it.

WhiteSoxFan

Rough_Rock

Also, I feel that I should point out... I live in Chicago, very close to downtown. Am I doing myself a disservice by not even visiting Jeweler's Row? The idea of having to deal with sales people, especially with a relatively small budget, is daunting to me. Would I absolutely get a better deal with sticking online?

Thanks again.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

WhiteSoxFan|1341846688|3231004 said:
BN's diamond search tool is a bit scarier to me as a noob, since there are no pictures. Can I call/email them to ask if the diamond is eye-clean?

What does everyone think of the specs on this one?

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP&track=tab#diamonds_forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP|builder=BYOR|pid=LD02417696

I'm pretty sure that Blue Nile can't look at a diamond for you, you'll have to order it and see with your own eyes if it's eye-clean to your standards. The stone get a 1.4 with the HCA:

Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Very Good
Spread or diameter for weight Excellent

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WhiteSoxFan|1341846942|3231007 said:
Also, I feel that I should point out... I live in Chicago, very close to downtown. Am I doing myself a disservice by not even visiting Jeweler's Row? The idea of having to deal with sales people, especially with a relatively small budget, is daunting to me. Would I absolutely get a better deal with sticking online?

Thanks again.

HI:

There is nothing wrong with getting more and perhaps different information. In doing so, you can discern what is important to you and thus better informing your purchase. Remember stick to some parameters--size, GIA or AGS graded stones--and synthesize what you have been offered. Quite often B & M cannot compete with online pricing--but you never know!

Let us know how you make out!

cheers--Sharon

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks again.

Yes, I think you will get a much better deal online, AND you won't have to pay $$ sales tax. Isn't it something crazy like 10.5%?!

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock

I think the stone seems okay but I am a little worried about the medium fluor. I would just call BN and ask for them to examine this diamond and then give you a couple other options. I know they have a virtual inventory but they should be able to call the stone in for you. Have their gemologist give you feedback and maybe feedback on some similar stones. I really wish we could find something from their signature collection, but you would be sacrificing carat size and I think the .60 would be a fine size. Also, I would prefer you go to an SI1...with an SI2, you really need to check to make sure it's eye clean.

One more thing - with this setting, there will be an "air" gap around the diamond and the scalloped halo...it will be like the diamond is "floating" in the center. Is that OK?

WhiteSoxFan

Rough_Rock

manda,

Yes, the 'floating' would be ok. But, ugh... sorry to seem so wishy-washy, but what does everyone think of this stone?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1493060.asp

I'm leaning back toward JA, the original setting I posted is now available in 14k (see: cheaper). If the above stone is acceptable, I may put in the order today... Otherwise, if anyone happens to look and finds a killer stone for the same price, cheaper, or sliiiiightly more, please pass along the info.

Thanks!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

That's an AGS000 stone and seems really nice! the J color may be slightly different than the halo diamond color, but most people probably won't notice.

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WhiteSoxFan|1341859764|3231106 said:
manda,

Yes, the 'floating' would be ok. But, ugh... sorry to seem so wishy-washy, but what does everyone think of this stone?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1493060.asp

I'm leaning back toward JA, the original setting I posted is now available in 14k (see: cheaper). If the above stone is acceptable, I may put in the order today... Otherwise, if anyone happens to look and finds a killer stone for the same price, cheaper, or sliiiiightly more, please pass along the info.

Thanks!

Can't go wrong with an AGS000...very pretty stone.

Edit - FYI...and I'm sure you have already looked at this but this is what a J color looks like in that setting if you were worried
about the pave color and the stone color. Not a problem if you ask me.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/sold/pave/8164/Pave-Engagement-Ring.html

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
mandasand said:
I think the stone seems okay but I am a little worried about the medium fluor. I would just call BN and ask for them to examine this diamond and then give you a couple other options. I know they have a virtual inventory but they should be able to call the stone in for you. Have their gemologist give you feedback and maybe feedback on some similar stones. I really wish we could find something from their signature collection, but you would be sacrificing carat size and I think the .60 would be a fine size. Also, I would prefer you go to an SI1...with an SI2, you really need to check to make sure it's eye clean.

One more thing - with this setting, there will be an "air" gap around the diamond and the scalloped halo...it will be like the diamond is "floating" in the center. Is that OK?
BN is a drop shipper- they don't actually have the stones in hand to look at for you- that is a big argument people have against BN as they can't provide real images, ASET, idalscope, or assess a stone for you...

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock

I don't usually recommend BN - however, it is possible to get a gemologist to evaluate a stone. It's not really an issue anymore since the poster is going with JA. I usually only recommend BN if the budget is really tight because they have such a huge inventory. I also recommend JA for this type of budget.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks again.
Even if you don't end up buying from one of the stores, it doesn't hurt to stop in, look at some diamonds, and see what they have to offer! It can be an educational experience and (at the very least) it never hurts to begin to develop a relationship with a jeweler.

WhiteSoxFan

Rough_Rock

Hello everyone,

I ended up choosing the last diamond I mentioned in this thread, and the setting I had originally wanted in 14k. Apparently, this was the ring of her dreams... we got engaged in the middle of our road trip on the National Mall in Washington DC last Thursday, the 19th. She is crazy about the ring (I must admit, I think it looks damn good myself).

Thanks again for everyone's input and advice, I appreciate it.

This is the only picture we have of it right now-- we took it on her phone and it was pretty cloudy that day.

Also, we need to get it resized down from 6 to about a 5... do you recommend I send it back to JA? Or is taking it to a local jeweler an OK idea? She refuses to part with it for very long...

jr.jpg

Link to larger image:
http://i.imgur.com/6AQP2.jpg

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

It's beautiful! I'd definitely send it back to JA since you bought it there and see if they can expedite it.

I like ice

Rough_Rock

Congrats on your engagement! You did a great job on selection of the ring. It is just beautiful!

jacy

Shiny_Rock

It's a gorgeous ring! You really did a great job. Hopefully, your fiancee wont have to part with it for long with the resizing, but yes, it would be much safer to have JA take care of it. Congrats on your engagement!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results