carat
color
clarity

About to buy 1.5c F SI1 Triple Excellent Round Diamond. HELP

About_To_Propose

Rough_Rock
GIA Cert:
screen_shot_2017-02-23_at_5_1.png

The inclusions are not visible to my naked eye.

I have brought the price down to $11,400. I keep seeing similar stones online for cheaper but it is hard to compare without seeing them in real life.

How does this sound overall?

Thanks

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: About to buy 1.5c F SI1 Triple Excellent Round Diamond.

Link not working. Give us the numbers: table and depth %, crown and pavillion angles and lower girdle number.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NOOOOO. It scores a 4.0 on the HCA tool. Do not buy that diamond. Anything above a 2 is to be tossed out of consideration.

We can help you make a much better choice in your price range.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Medium fluro on a VS2 is not an issue. Not at all.

The ring you were about to buy is a poor performer. I'm glad you found us!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

About_To_Propose|1487964597|4133088 said:
whitewave|1487962965|4133065 said:
You have to cut/paste for blue nile links. This one scores a 1.4 on HCA
$11,231.00
G VS2 1.5C
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD07966487

Someone else can find other links.... I have to go for now. Good luck!

I was told to stay away from any fluorescence. Not the case?

A common line used at B&M jewellers. Don't believe it's 100% true.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

whitewave|1487965772|4133108 said:
Oooh! Look at what I found: 1.830 Brian Gavin signature Blue J vs2 (will look whiter than a j) wire price: $11,863 or $12,229

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.830-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104092069003

I'd call them, put this on hold and ask about the color, etc.

ETA: OH NO!!! It's reserved

I really hope it was the OP who reserved it. Otherwise, could be a case of a PS lurker snatchaway.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know. That would be like the holy grail of diamonds... great price for a great stone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OP, Tell me what you are thinking.

(And you do have to put diamonds on hold that are posted here... lurkers do grab them)

About_To_Propose

Rough_Rock

Sorry I'm at work and it's hard to respond or react quickly. I am looking for a GIA certified "clean to the eye" F/G color round diamond for 10-12k

Thanks for your help

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don't get hung up on GIA triple ex. Its not what it's cracked up to be. I believe many of what I posted are AGS certified, which has tighter standards than GIA. The HCA tool is here: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca run whatever you find through this tool and toss anything that scores above a 2.

As for fluro, a very very rare amount of very strong fluro stones will show a "milky effect". The vendors we deal with here vet their diamonds before they put them up for sale (not sure about blue nile). Medium and even strong fluro shouldn't be an issue with any vendor, especially Brian Gavin Blue.

Whiteflash, Brian Gavin Signature, High Performance diamonds-- these are dealers of "super ideal" diamonds-- the top of the line.

Ideally, you would like to see ASET/Ideal Scope graphics before you purchase and most B&M stores don't know what that is.

Also, an H on a well cut stone should be fine in terms of colorless diamonds (not like an H in the BM store that scores 4-6 HCA for example). I am color sensitive and start seeing color at an I, which many people here don't see color on an I.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you go look on the board called "show me the bling" you will see a thread called "H/I/J/K colors here". You will notice even a well cut K can face up like a colorless diamond.

ETA: link to J/K/L stones: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-all-j-k-l-diamonds-lets-gather-here.228732/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-all-j-k-l-diamonds-lets-gather-here.228732/[/URL]

Basically, forget most of what B&M sales people told you. We are taking you to the next level.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

bmfang|1487967479|4133127 said:
Oooh! Look at what I found: 1.830 Brian Gavin signature Blue J vs2 (will look whiter than a j) wire price: $11,863 or $12,229

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.830-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104092069003

I really hope it was the OP who reserved it. Otherwise, could be a case of a PS lurker snatchaway.

You guys.. the diamond was reserved yesterday :( I was eye-ing it and thinking how I can convince my husband to do an upgrade :lol:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SimoneDi|1487970185|4133163 said:

You guys.. the diamond was reserved yesterday :( I was eye-ing it and thinking how I can convince my husband to do an upgrade :lol:

Darn, Simone!!! I'd grab it myself if I could. OP! I would seriously call Brian Gavin about that J 1.8 diamond and ask when it's do or die for the holder. I can practically guarantee that diamond will have zero hint of yellow face up and set in a ring.

I hate to say it Simone, but the way I did the upgrade was.... spend 12k and tell him after it gets to your house lol.

joepark89

Rough_Rock

Sorry to intrude on this conversation... I'm very intrigued by this diamond and I've been researching the Brian Gavin Blue.

How do you think these compare to say a whiteflash ACA G/VS2?

In terms of color, whiteness, etc?

I feel like these are incredible.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My original engagement diamond is an H with strong blue fluro and I thought for over a decade it was a D. When I finally found the paperwork, I couldn't believe it was an H. Now, it was bought in 1993 before the internet education, so here is a not great photo of it..,, img_1994.jpg

It's not a super ideal diamond either. It's uncertified so I have no idea what HCA, etc it has. I think you can clearly see, though, that the color is "not" an H.

For example, here are my E color studs from blue nile signature (not a great pic of the cut but best pic I have of the color):
img_2223_0.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Whitewave lol that thought ran through my mind - too bad I have done it one too many times in the past :lol: PS is seriously a drug - I always want more and bigger, and just more :angel:

And btw - I did call BGD today to ask about this sparkler, there is a waitlist (!) and they are expecting a payment from the original purchaser (boohoo) so unfortunately this one is out.

OP don't miss the other recommendations posted here - plenty of lurkers around. Also, please don't get hung up on the F/G color - an ideal cut H color, or even I will face up very white. The WF stones are great recommendations!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, I need to take a break from PS. I'm now having two new bands created for my asscher because the stones in the two bands I have are too big!! And go look on show me the bling to see what I am having made with my original engagement ring!

Boo hoo on that BG stone. Whoever is getting it is one lucky woman.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The PS struggle is real :lol: headed to SMTB now!

And re that BGD - the lady who is getting it will surely be very lucky!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

joepark89|1487970484|4133166 said:
Sorry to intrude on this conversation... I'm very intrigued by this diamond and I've been researching the Brian Gavin Blue.

Joe, Whiteflash ACA, Brian Gavin signature and Crafted by Infinity over at High Performance Diamonds as well as Victor Canera-- these are all super ideal diamonds, so they are comparible in terms of quality. Fluro in lower color diamonds can give a "boost" in color (as you see with my H that looks like a D/E in color). You would have to ask over at BG what color hey think each individual J looks like in the signature blue line. I completely trust what they say.

Also, WF, BG,HPD etc all have great trade up policies for their in house diamonds.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

SimoneDi|1487970185|4133163 said:

Ok, so maybe i was right about it being a snatch away then? :(

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

whitewave|1487974562|4133211 said:

Joe, Whiteflash ACA, Brian Gavin signature and Crafted by Infinity over at High Performance Diamonds as well as Victor Canera-- these are all super ideal diamonds, so they are comparible in terms of quality. Fluro in lower color diamonds can give a "boost" in color (as you see with my H that looks like a D/E in color). You would have to ask over at BG what color hey think each individual J looks like in the signature blue line. I completely trust what they say.

Also, WF, BG,HPD etc all have great trade up policies for their in house diamonds.

joepark89, I'm a massive fan of the Brian Gavin Blue range. You get a stone that has:
- been vetted by Brian Gavin and his team for it to not exhibit haze/milkyness from the fluorescence (even at strong or very strong levels of blue fluorescence),
- you get a discount on a similarly graded stone for colour, clarity and carat size,
- they are cut exceptionally well (though they are not guaranteed H&A, they definitely exhibit H&A patterning like in Whiteflash's Expert Selection range),
- they are all graded AGS000 for light performance, and
- on a lighthearted note, you have a party trick up your sleeve when you shine a blacklight onto the stone.

I recently purchased a K/VS2 Brian Gavin Blue with medium blue fluorescence for my wife. While this is not a comparison with a WF ACA stone, the K/VS2 face up looks as white as a GIA graded XXX G/SI1 stone we have. And my wife honestly actually prefers the BG Blue stone. The K/VS2 is the stone at the bottom of my avatar pic. Or for a better look...

img_15261.jpg

joepark89

Rough_Rock

bmfang|1487984077|4133297 said:

joepark89, I'm a massive fan of the Brian Gavin Blue range. You get a stone that has:
- been vetted by Brian Gavin and his team for it to not exhibit haze/milkyness from the fluorescence (even at strong or very strong levels of blue fluorescence),
- you get a discount on a similarly graded stone for colour, clarity and carat size,
- they are cut exceptionally well (though they are not guaranteed H&A, they definitely exhibit H&A patterning like in Whiteflash's Expert Selection range),
- on a lighthearted note, you have a party trick up your sleeve when you shine a blacklight onto the stone.

I recently purchased a K/VS2 Brian Gavin Blue with medium blue fluorescence for my wife. While this is not a comparison with a WF ACA stone, the K/VS2 face up looks as white as a GIA graded XXX G/SI1 stone we have. And my wife honestly actually prefers the BG Blue stone. The K/VS2 is the stone at the bottom of my avatar pic. Or for a better look...

Wow that is gorgeous. I've been looking at WF ACA G's and H's. I'm still hesitant on H because I'm unsure how "yellow" it'll look in certain conditions. Very intrigued by these BG Blue diamonds. Wish I could compare these in person sigh.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

joepark89|1488006630|4133404 said:
bmfang|1487984077|4133297 said:

Wow that is gorgeous. I've been looking at WF ACA G's and H's. I'm still hesitant on H because I'm unsure how "yellow" it'll look in certain conditions. Very intrigued by these BG Blue diamonds. Wish I could compare these in person sigh.

joepark89, as a matter of comparison, the two stones above the K/VS2 are a matched pair of 0.333/0.334ct I/VVS2's from Brian Gavin's Signature H&A range hat I bought shortly after the BG Blue stone if you want to compare how the K looks like in daylight with something higher colour faceup and mounted in 18kt white gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results