shape
carat
color
clarity

.50ct. too small for PR earring studs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I was about to order a pair of PR studs, .50ct each, for my daughter''s birthday gift.

A friend mentioned to me that .50 would be sorta small and with the prongs/v-caps so much of the stone would be covered up.

At first I didn''t think it would be a big deal, but the thought keeps bugging me. I was hoping to keep the price around $2200.00 - total. Not real sure what I could get for that amount of $$.

Any pics of PR studs on ears??

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s all relative.
$2200 is a lot of money to some, and chump change to others.
If you think they are too small buy larger ones.

For the same price you can go down in clarity and color, but please buy the best cut possible.

AGS0 will assure a high level of cut.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Here is an ear shot of my .72 carat each princess cut studs. I had originally planned to get half carats, but decided they were too small when I tried them on. However I was upgrading from .33 carat round studs and wanted to see a significant increase in size. I think if they were my first earrings I would have been fine with half carat each studs. To go larger might exceed the budget you proposed.

princesssue2.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author:Ann
Any pics of PR studs on ears??
Hi, Ann...I went looking for "ears" for you, and found a few!

I don't think one carat total weight studs are too small at all. It really is a matter of taste, and your daughter's age. If she's really young...I'd probably want them smaller!

I bought a beautiful pair for my niece a while ago, about 70pts each for roughly the price you mentioned above. They were I-1s (
32.gif
) but gorgeous because they were well cut.

Here are some "earshots" I found:

Here are Missgotrocks, two carats total weight:

msgtrks1tw.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Here's Sombody's pretty ear (Shame on me I forgot to note whose
38.gif
) with roughly 1.00ctw...closer to what you're considering.

If you do a search for "earrings" or "studs" you'll find a million threads on the subject..

HTH
widget

ETA: AAAARGH! I had to go back and edit two of these posts...I hope I haven't screwed up quoting carat weights....oh dear...
32.gif

567w.jpg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter will be turning 21 in January. I would spend more, but I think she will be asking for other things. These are a surprise.

Should I try to find larger stones? I foung some G SI1 ''s for around $1,000.00 each.

Maybe go to an H ?

Kinda afraid to do that - I want really nice color and great sparkle.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Here's one more: Aljdewey's studs. 1.10ctw (I think...I've lost all selfconfidence..
20.gif
)

alj 55pts.jpg

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I''m shopping for earrings too (but for me). I don''t think .5 carats each is too small -- it also depends on how large your daughter''s earlobes are. If they are small earlobes, the size will look just fine . . . if they are big earlobes, then maybe go a smidgen higher in carat and a smidgen lower on clarity. What a nice mom you are to buy your daughter some diamond earrings!

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

One the other hand - i got my lass .30twc in a martini basket - so about .15 in each ear - they look lovely, very delicate. and the 3 prongs dont cover much of the diamonds, and they sparkle like crazy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a thoughtful gift. I don''t think .50 is too small. The martini setting as Lord just said really shows off the diamonds well. All you see is sparkle. As a matter of fact I just had my old studs re set in the martini setting and they look fab!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t think .5 is too small...it''s perfect.
2.gif

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
My first pair were .74ctw (at age 24) and looked quite large (but I have small ears) I loved em. I only paid around $1000 for both. I think they are G, SI1. The sales lady said for earrings clarity and color are not quite as important (esp with earrings under 1ctw) because few people ever get that close to your ears and the wearer almost never sees them except in the mirror. I tended to agree, for rings and pendants one should probably be more selective. I wish I could give you my old ones I never wear them anymore one of my lobes is torn from 3 attempts at centering the hole (it closed so they had to re-pierce). But I think your daughter at 21 would be ecstatic with any size as that is a lovely gift from a loving mom!
2.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Here are my half carat per ear WF martini studs. They are definitely not too small, in my opinion, nor do the gold prongs cover much of the diamond. If you are getting platinum settings the prongs will be even less noticeable.

martiniearrings.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that is a great size. I wear my 1/3 ctw (I guess I am not as lucky...) almost everyday and love them. I think any bigger people would probably assume they were fake. (If she looks her age).

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I come back after a football break and find all these great responses.

Daughter at Texas, and son at Texas Tech, they played each other today in a highly anticipated game, but Texas just walked all over Tech. I am glad Texas won and can keep their #2 ranking!

Ok, if I get the .50ct each, what is the best way to set the stones? I have seen those v-caps and then I have seen some set with prongs. Which is better? Princess cuts in 18kt white gold with screw backs. I have the screw backs on my studs and would not have them any other way.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was really hoping tech would make more of a game. not that i am in any way shape or form a red raider fan, but a good game is always more fun. that is something that your children go to rivaling schools...how exciting!

i would say that for earrings the prongs are just fine and will look quite good. the v-caps are more for rings, which tend to get more abuse.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Mine are screw backs and I feel very secure with that fitting, but some don''t get one with them, I know. Some like the strong clutch type. There are lots of choices. I suppose it''s a personal choice at the end of the day.

I quite like the corner caps on square stones myself.
21.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
My princess cut studs are set in platinum with prongs at each corner and heavy duty push backs. They have been quite secure with the push backs. I do not care for screw backs. This is going to be a terrific gift for your daughter Ann! I gave my daughter my old .33 carat each round studs for her 21st birthday this past January when I received my new ones for my 50th birthday the same month!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
When comparing stone measurements, how little/much can each earring differ from the other?

If #1 stone is .55 and

#2 stone is .57 ???

Do I compare stone measurements and how far apart in size can they be and still be ok for earrings?

I''ve been looking at the James Allen site if any of you PS''ers can "show me" some good .50''s PR.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ann,
yes you want to compare measurements. i like using the search tool at the top of the page. you can decide on a mm measurement that you like and browse through for matches.

Shiny42805

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/22/2005 11:51:44 AM
Author: widget
Here''s Sombody''s pretty ear (Shame on me I forgot to note whose
38.gif
) with roughly 1.00ctw...closer to what you''re considering.

If you do a search for ''earrings'' or ''studs'' you''ll find a million threads on the subject..

HTH

widget

ETA: AAAARGH! I had to go back and edit two of these posts...I hope I haven''t screwed up quoting carat weights....oh dear...
32.gif

hehehhe - that''s my ginormous ear!

I just want to correct you and say that they''re only about .27 or .26 points apiece, for a total of just over .50cttw. They were a gift from my parents, and I think they''re the perfect size for everyday wear. For special occaisions, I''d definitely go larger.

And you can post any of my pics at anytime - I don''t care about that stuff.
16.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Ann - If my parents had given me diamond speck earrings for my 21st birthday, I''d STILL be bowing at their feet in appreciation, let alone .5 each! That''s bigger than my Ering! :) HTH! It will be a wonderful surprise for your daughter.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 20 year old daughter and I gave her 0.3 tcw wg studs on her 18th birthday as an extra gift - a special mum to daughter thing. She was delighted because she actually wanted this size as she prefers tiny studs as long as they''re sparkly - she thinks they look cute.

On her 20th birthday she wanted a half carat diamond solitaire wg ring - no bigger - again because she likes dainty jewellery. She wanted to wear it on her right hand. She was right both times. Because of her size, she''s quite petite, all of the jewellery looks just right on her.

I''ve learned that you have to take into account the age and personal taste of the the recipient and not go for what you would like for yourself.

I''m wondering now what she''s going to want next year on her 21st.........
2.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Bagpus, I agree I do have to remember these are for her, not me! But I was/am concerned about big ol'' prongs on a small diamond. But all of you have helped me on that issue. I am going to keep looking. But I need to act fast.
I just had an e-mail from her asking for a trip to Europe as her possible birthday/christmas gift. Maybe I won''t up that carat weight after all!! These will be a special gift from Mom to her.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure that you'll be able to get a pair with prongs that don't cover half the diamonds. Mine certainly don't.
21.gif

It's my son's twenty first in December and he wants to rebuild one of his computers, so he wants cash to buy the parts from the two of us. (He's at Uni doing a computer degree, so he knows what he's doing)

His Dad has treated him to a trip to Iceland; they had to go now as he wanted to go to a computer games convention
20.gif

They're due back tonight.
9.gif

My 'Mum to son' gift was going to be a really nice watch, but what he really wants is one of those huge flat tv's that you hang on the wall (how can you tell I'm not technically minded) You know which one he'll get. Could I refuse my first born son anything on his 21st? (within reason, of course)
2.gif

Kids, huh? Enough to drive you

26.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, kids!

Now our 18 (almost 19) year old son needs a new car/truck. DH doesn''t want to get anything new cause it is just gonna sit in the university parking lot and get all dinged up. I want him to have something fairly new. Daughter got a brand new Mustang when she turned 16 and our son got a 5 year old truck for his first vehicle. It never ends!!!

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Tell me about it!
32.gif

Because our two are so close in age, all the expensive stuff needs buying for both at what seems like the same time!

We got them each a ''nearly'' new car when they passed their test - if only so that I could stop being a taxi service morning, noon and night. They''ve both looked after them very well, fair play, and our son uses his to travel up to Uni each day (long story) so it has come in very useful. Next year he''ll be living in, but it will mean he''ll be able to come home week-ends. Our daughter goes to a local Art College so uses her car to get there too.

I prefered to get them a car that was less than a year old so that the cars would be safe and reliable. I guess they''ll need to upgrade again before long and we''''l help them do that while they''re still at college, but after that it''ll be their own responsibility. Then hopefully, I can start putting some of our spare cash towards some serious bling for myself!
11.gif

It may seem to some that our kids are a bit spoiled, but I don''t really think so. They''re really good kids and actually ask us for very little really. We want to help them out while they''re studying and can afford to, so why not? They''re both grateful for what we give them and don''t ''expect'' anything, so not getting them things they need would just be us being politically correct. What else is money good for if not to help out your family?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2005 10:21:10 AM
Author:Ann
I was about to order a pair of PR studs, .50ct each, for my daughter's birthday gift.

What is a "PR stud"?

The only diamond earrings I wear (as opposed to own) are exactly the size you planned to buy your daughter, Ann. They are the PERFECT size for me.

Deb

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2005 10:08:21 AM
Author: AGBF

What is a ''PR stud''?
...assuming princess cut.

I would definitely compare size rather than weight (it can vary a bit) and let the seller choose a matched pair.

How about THESE settings ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results