shape
carat
color
clarity

4 ct Asscher with Baguette Halo...design musings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

liaspar

Rough_Rock
I''m so happy I''ve stumbled upon Pricescope. As we''ve been gathering ideas for designing our engagement ring I''ve learned nothing so valuable in weeks online as I did spending a morning reading this forum!

I saw an estate ring with this style halo at Fred Leighton, and I fell in love immediately with the geometric, art deco design. The attached photo is of a Daniel K ring.

We''d like to have a similar one designed, and that''s where we''ve now been stuck for a couple of months deliberating over how to do the shank, whether it''s actually a smart setting to use with an Asscher, and who will eventually make the ring. So if I may, I''ll turn to you very knowledgeable and creative Pricescope members for advice.

1. The shank...
We''d really like the wedding band to match the engagement ring well, and to also look good when I want to wear just the band. I''m not very fond of bands that curve to accommodate the engagement ring, so that option seems to be out. With such a large head, it seems a band would be pushed off quite far from the shank of the ring and create an unbalanced look. Perhaps a delicate split shank and similar band would look good, with the distance between the band and the ring equal to the distance between the shanks. But will skinny split shanks look funny with such a geometric design?

Then there''s the issue of what should go on the shank and band...channel set asschers or baguettes, perhaps an unembellished knife edge...other ideas?

2. Any thoughts on using a bezel setting for an Asscher stone? Would it significantly reduce the light that comes into the stone? Should it be set up slightly higher with prongs rather than bezel set?

3. I''d like to find a custom designer to work with who is experienced with Asscher stones and preferably with this type of setting requiring custom-cut baguettes. It''s also important that he/she is enthusiastic about doing custom work. We spoke a while ago with the people at Daniel K (who has this setting on the website), and they weren''t keen to work with our ideas for the rest of the band - it was their way or the highway. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you all in advance!

dk.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2006 8:51:49 AM
Author:liaspar

I''m so happy I''ve stumbled upon Pricescope. As we''ve been gathering ideas for designing our engagement ring I''ve learned nothing so valuable in weeks online as I did spending a morning reading this forum!

I saw an estate ring with this style halo at Fred Leighton, and I fell in love immediately with the geometric, art deco design. The attached photo is of a Daniel K ring.

We''d like to have a similar one designed, and that''s where we''ve now been stuck for a couple of months deliberating over how to do the shank, whether it''s actually a smart setting to use with an Asscher, and who will eventually make the ring. So if I may, I''ll turn to you very knowledgeable and creative Pricescope members for advice.

1. The shank...
We''d really like the wedding band to match the engagement ring well, and to also look good when I want to wear just the band. I''m not very fond of bands that curve to accommodate the engagement ring, so that option seems to be out. With such a large head, it seems a band would be pushed off quite far from the shank of the ring and create an unbalanced look. Perhaps a delicate split shank and similar band would look good, with the distance between the band and the ring equal to the distance between the shanks. But will skinny split shanks look funny with such a geometric design?

Then there''s the issue of what should go on the shank and band...channel set asschers or baguettes, perhaps an unembellished knife edge...other ideas?

2. Any thoughts on using a bezel setting for an Asscher stone? Would it significantly reduce the light that comes into the stone? Should it be set up slightly higher with prongs rather than bezel set?

3. I''d like to find a custom designer to work with who is experienced with Asscher stones and preferably with this type of setting requiring custom-cut baguettes. It''s also important that he/she is enthusiastic about doing custom work. We spoke a while ago with the people at Daniel K (who has this setting on the website), and they weren''t keen to work with our ideas for the rest of the band - it was their way or the highway. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Don''t take the highway if you want this setting, we had Sagas about custom attempts of this ring before here...o boy!...don''t go there...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Liaspar - listen to Pricescope on this one--it will save you much heartache!

Do a search for "asscher baguette halo" and have a read through the threads...

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi liaspar...welcome!

I don't think you should be so discouraged. Obviously this type design has been done in the past, so it can be done!

If it were me, probably the first person I'd call is Leon Mege. He's a highly regarded designer who has done baguette halos before:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=114

Another possibility would be to go to a high-end jeweler (FL, Harry Winston, Shreve's, etc etc) and commission them to have your ring custom made.

I wouldn't give up on this dream. It won't be inexpensive (but then neither is a 4ct diamond
1.gif
)

Good luck!
widget

ETA: I'd concentrate on finding the designer first, and then work with him/her on the design details....

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
check the stardust diamonds website. They have a setting similar to this. Maybe they will work with you.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2006 9:51:28 AM
Author: widget
Hi liaspar...welcome!

I don''t think you should be so discouraged. Obviously this type design has been done in the past, so it can be done!

If it were me, probably the first person I''d call is Leon Mege. He''s a highly regarded designer who has done baguette halos before:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=114

Another possibility would be to go to a high-end jeweler (FL, Harry Winston, Shreve''s, etc etc) and commission them to have your ring custom made.

I wouldn''t give up on this dream. It won''t be inexpensive (but then neither is a 4ct diamond
1.gif
)

Good luck!
widget

ETA: I''d concentrate on finding the designer first, and then work with him/her on the design details....
Good advice as always.
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love love love the look of those tiny baguettes end to end in a band and I saw them once on split shanks and just swooned over them!!!! of course if you did a split shank of those AND a flush sitting band that fit under all of it, you''d end up with a ton of baguettes!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is probably too anitiquey for you, so ignore the gallery but I love the delicate baguette split shanks!!!! If the head tapered just a bit I bet you could get a flush set band...

splitshankassh.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
If I were going to get a baguette halo, I''d want one with eight bags in the halo rather than the twelve pictured in the Daniel K or the one Cehr posted.

With single baguettes on the four sides, the only "seams" would be in the corners....

widget

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2006 1:31:18 PM
Author: widget
If I were going to get a baguette halo, I''d want one with eight bags in the halo rather than the twelve pictured in the Daniel K or the one Cehr posted.

With single baguettes on the four sides, the only ''seams'' would be in the corners....

widget
i 2nd that!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2006 9:10:26 AM
Author: Pricescope

Date: 11/10/2006 8:51:49 AM
Author:liaspar

1. The shank...

Don''t take the highway if you want this setting, we had Sagas about custom attempts of this ring before here...o boy!...don''t go there...
I am responsible for a few of those baguette halo sagas
7.gif
and after several months of trying to make my design *work* I pulled the plug on the whole project
14.gif

As widget mentioned, it won''t be inexpensive but if you can afford a 4c asscher, have a dream ring in mind and can put up with lots of frustrating dead-ends, then GO FOR IT
36.gif

I hope you will succeed in your quest and please keep us updated
35.gif

Have you chosen your asscher yet? If so we need lots and lots of pics and specs
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results