shape
carat
color
clarity

My first Ripples

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Bought these at the recent POJ sale. 11.5 to 15mm white kasumi like stand. It is late when I saw the package so it is not the best lighting to photograph them.. pics coming up next

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Taken in fading day light. I see some purple and cream in them

YC

Brilliant_Rock
I notice the luster is a bit uneven. Some areas very lustrous and some small areas less so. Is that the characteristics of ripples (since we have many ripples owner and aficionados here)? I will post more opinions and pics once I see them again in good lighting conditions.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I don't own any ripples ~ sorry I can't answer your question about luster. I hope they look lovely in better lighting today and that you grow to love them.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
YC|1382355625|3541545 said:
I notice the luster is a bit uneven. Some areas very lustrous and some small areas less so. Is that the characteristics of ripples (since we have many ripples owner and aficionados here)? I will post more opinions and pics once I see them again in good lighting conditions.

Seems that way for mine. I just got mine today too. The bigger one looks a bit smaller than I'd imagine, but I'm probably still in pearl shrinkage mode.

You didn't get them knotted?

YC

Brilliant_Rock
They r not knotted. I wanted to try to string them myself. There r good instructions in the other forum and I thought big ie fewer pearls is a good project to start with.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
You will want to look at them in different lighting to see how you like the luster. You also want to give them time to adjust to the temperature and humidity of your place. That can make a difference in how pearls appear.

I am going to try to knot my strand from PoJ, too. I ordered some Beaders Secret thread from Pattye on the other forum. Just a warning about knotting heavy pearls. When I used other thread, the heavy pearls caused the thread to stretch more than for smaller pearls. I'm hoping that I have more luck with the Beader Secret. I'm expecting it to arrive this week. When I actually get around to knotting the strand, that remains to be seen. 8)

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Those are real Marge Simpson pearls. Have fun knotting them - and remember, if you don't like the first result you just undo and do again. Silk is cheap

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
My ripples ("figs" and "bronzies") definitely have uneven luster. I think that's the characteristic of ripples. There are metallic spots, dull spots, in-between spots... let us know how you like them over time. So far, I've kept 2 out of 4 ripple purchases. The other two went to a very loving home where they belonged!

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for the reassurances.
I took a quick peak at them again early this am. In the morning sun, the overtones are more obvious ( pink, purple, some greens, cream) and the luster looks better than it did last night in the artificial lighting. I will give myself a few more days to decide if I really like them.
Bsomio, any specific reasons why you gave up two of your ripple purchases?
Pearlesence and Fly Girl: It will be my first time knotting. Hopefully, I will not need to re-do too many times. :mrgreen:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I bought two sets of creamy whites. I don't like creamy -- too close to my skin tone.

One set were huge rounds and I realize I prefer drop shape in ripples. The second set were "medium" ripples and really pretty -- but again, the creamy/peachy thing wasn't working for me.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
I have a strand with ripples. I just used a metal wire. I've found for the silk they are too heavy and a wire itself is fine. They have such a personality and change their color, depending on the lighting conditions. Sometimes they are very bright and sometimes very pale. I'd like to try Patty's thread too. Good luck with your project!
Here is the photo in a bright morning light.

kasumi_like_morning.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1382477279|3542525 said:
alice87 -- Such a pretty necklace!

Very very pretty!! Can you pls start a thread and tell us more about it? A few of the pearls look like they have such amazing colours. Will love to see more.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
HI Alice, that pearl right next to the clasp ( gold-green one) caught my eye. Looks very pretty. From your pics, it seems like the coloured ones are more lustrous or it is cos the whites do not photograph as well?

alice87

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all! It is true, the colorful one's have more luster. The fair is coming to Seattle in a couple of weeks, I will see what I will find this time.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Finally strung the pearls. First attempt and a pretty bad job. Took a while to figure out to make tight enough knots. The first ten knots were awful and unfortunately they sit at the front of the strand. The max no of knots I did was five knots at what is supposed to be one! :rolleyes:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
YC: Did you get your string locally? Think I may want to try knotting my first strand when I clear my hols in December.
And don't give up! I do hear that practice makes perfect.

[But if you know where to get pearls knotted affordably locally, let me know k? Not much confidence I can DIY well. :lol: ]

YC

Brilliant_Rock
The lump between the pearls on left has the most no of knots

20131028_1.jpg

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Now the knots look decent but they r mostly at the back of the strand

20131028_152520-1.jpg

YC

Brilliant_Rock
icy_jade|1382946656|3545964 said:
YC: Did you get your string locally? Think I may want to try knotting my first strand when I clear my hols in December.
And don't give up! I do hear that practice makes perfect.

[But if you know where to get pearls knotted affordably locally, let me know k? Not much confidence I can DIY well. :lol: ]
Strung with my hands. :rodent: icy jade, if u should try, do a bit of practice knotting before doing the actual strand. I was one third through mine when I realised it look bad but too tired to redo all. It is not as difficult as it seems. A good set of instructions is vital.
Next time I see my jeweller, I will check the price for you

YC

Brilliant_Rock
YC|1382946796|3545966 said:
The lump between the pearls on left has the most no of knots

I meant right not left

YC

Brilliant_Rock
The finished product. Think I will wear this for a while until I find some energy to knot them again. The pearls need lots of sun light to look good. I particularly like the undertones and orient.

20131028_153856-1.jpg

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Mondayschild! I felt the clasp was too pretty to be hidden at the back so it was positioned at the side.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Looks great on you! I like the length and the size of the pearls. Enjoy!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I think they look fantastic! Great job stringing them and I love the leaf clasp. These ripples are so organic and sexy and unique.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very nice. The leaf clasp is really sweet. Isn't it nice to be able to tailor your pearls as you like? :))

I also noticed that by the time I got to the second half of my strand I was starting to get a routine down. Practice helps, but your first attempt is very nice and is certainly wearable. Enjoy, and thank you for showing us.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results