shape
carat
color
clarity

Black Swan

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just saw Black Swan tonight. It was freaky to say the least. Anyone else see ot?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
No, but I read about it last night. I read an interview where Natalie Portman said she let her health suffer for the role and that at time she felt like she might die. I get kind of scared when actors put themselves at risks for roles. I might watch it on NetFlix (or not) but it's not something I'm going to go to the movie theater to see.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
Autumnovember|1293781147|2810754 said:
I saw it. The best word I would use for it is *INTENSE*.

Haha, this exactly. That's all I could say after seeing it.

should i be here

Shiny_Rock
I went to see it mainly because I like Aronofsky. Requiem for a Dream is one of my favorite movies ever, and that's intense compared to Black Swan. Very interesting look into the strange world of ballet.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I keep hearing it's a very intense movie but the trailer's don't reveal much, so I don't get a sense of that. Is it worth seeing? We'll probably wait until it comes out on Netflix if it's worth it.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It was pretty slow for the first 45 minutes or so. It was building a foundation. Then the last hour or so was creepy as all Hell. Gets you talking too because it's not 100% clear.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I found it thought-provoking. I saw it with my mom (slightly awkward...) and we spent a lot of time after talking about it.

But I didn't love it like a lot of people I know. I thought there wasn't enough transition between Nina before and after she began to lose her mind. Same wooden face and delivery throughout the whole movie. For me, that was a huge flaw I couldn't look past. I was reading somewhere that the music or light cues (can't remember which one) changed when she was hallucinating versus reality, but I'm not a subtle-enough filmgoer to make that distinction and thus I was just confused the whole time.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I still haven't been able to decide if I actually like it or not. It was interesting I guess, and definitely intense, thought-provoking, and out there at times, but I'm still not sure what overall message the movie was trying to make. I wouldn't say it's necessarily a look at the hidden world of ballet, since I think the outcome was much more individualized to HER and her issues than ballerinas specifically, although the pressures are probably there for many. I just don't know...

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
It is not on in my area. After reading the reviews, I probably would not go anyway.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I saw it at its premiere at the Venice film festival this summer! It played there a couple of days before my wedding in Italy. I really liked the movie. I thought ALL the actors did an excellent job.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
I really want to see it. My brother was a dancer most of his life, only quit a few years ago, and trained with a lot of the people who did the ballet training for this film. He says creepy thriller content aside, that it's eerily accurate regarding the world of professional dance.

Some of the stuff I've heard makes me nervous to see it, but I love Natalie Portman and ballet, so I must =)

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I've wanted to see it since I saw the trailer, but I've been waiting for the right time. I feel like you have to be in a particular type of mood to enjoy a movie like that--I remember how intense Requiem for a Dream was and I have a feeling this has the same feel. Maybe I'll try to see it this weekend.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I'm definitely wanting to go see it, although as everyone has mentioned, I'm going to have to be in the right mood, and with the right person, to see it. It sounds like it will be memorable, whether I like it or not.

I remember another movie that left me breathless and stunned when I saw it in the theatre - although not in a creepy way so much - but intense and weird and shocking and familiar all at the same time: American Beauty.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
who knew ms portman had it in her?!

it is a very well made film.....but then we are great fans of the director, even his movie The Fountain.

the opening scene....prelude to both the movie and the actual ballet.....made me sit up and for the first time i understood what those that love ballet see in it.

one of the best films of 2010.

MoZo

ps directors other films:

Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler, and now Black Swan all deal with people who are obsessive about one thing or another. i think that one day someone will write a book about him and his films.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not giving much away by saying this, but the scene at the end where Natalie Portman is crying and then sits down to put makeup on and it's like with each swipe of the makeup, her face clears and she smiles was so creepy and amazing. Almost like they used CGI.

Oh and lemme tell you - I have a major phobia of clusters of holes and for that reason alone, this movie freaked my sh*t out.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kind of off topic, but I remember reading an interview awhile back about this movie.

***Possible Spoiler***

I think it was Portman talking about the movie, and she was talking about how to get guys to come see a movie about Ballet, even though it was really more of a psychological thriller. Her answer: Put a lesbian love scene in it.

So yeah, all I really know about the movie is that Portman kisses Kunis. This is also what I'm going to tell my husband to get him to watch the movie with me.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
***more spoilers***

MakingTheGrade|1293867937|2811516 said:
Kind of off topic, but I remember reading an interview awhile back about this movie.

***Possible Spoiler***

I think it was Portman talking about the movie, and she was talking about how to get guys to come see a movie about Ballet, even though it was really more of a psychological thriller. Her answer: Put a lesbian love scene in it.

So yeah, all I really know about the movie is that Portman kisses Kunis. This is also what I'm going to tell my husband to get him to watch the movie with me.

Tell him there's a little more than kissing.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1293833042|2811198 said:
who knew ms portman had it in her?!
it is a very well made film.....but then we are great fans of the director, even his movie The Fountain.

the opening scene....prelude to both the movie and the actual ballet.....made me sit up and for the first time i understood what those that love ballet see in it.

one of the best films of 2010.

MoZo

ps directors other films:

Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler, and now Black Swan all deal with people who are obsessive about one thing or another. i think that one day someone will write a book about him and his films.

Oh, you knew she had it in her if you watched "V For Vendetta" closely. She completely redeemed herself for Amidala with that one, and it made me at least, put her in the category of somebody who is going to do big things soon. Of course, that Star Wars role was about as clunky as as any every written, so you can't cuss her too much for it really.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Im a huge ballet fan, and danced for quite some time myself. This really delves into the obsessive compulsive lifestyle many dancers unfortunately face, tho of course with a dramatic flare. The paranoia of Nina comes across so clearly, Natalie Portman did a wonderful job.

And I am forever scarred by the hang-nail scene.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i winced many times in this movie....the hang nail scene was a literal flinch.

MoZo

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I am DYING to see it. I can hardly wait. I may have to convince my husband to go with me today :tongue: I think the fact that Portman kisses Kunis will seal the deal.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right at the moment it finished, I didn't know if I felt like I liked it or didn't.

I tend not to like movies that leave things to interpretation.

But the more I thought about it, and after discussing it with DH, the more I started to like it. It was freaky, intense, and I thought Natalie Portman was awesome in it.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As Autumnnnovember said, it was intense and difficult to watch at times . Having survived an overprotective mother, I related to it. Spoiler: That poor child did not realize that she did not have to become the black swan to play the balck swan -- all she needed to do was portray the evil people around her.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I just saw it. I had no idea what it was about before I saw it and I thought it was excellent. Natalie Portman did a great job. I'll be honest though I had a hard time telling what was a hallucination and what was real but I also think that was partly because I truly had no idea what the movie was about ahead of time. I knew it was a thriller about ballet that's all. But I think not knowing what was real or not made it a BETTER movie in my mind. It kept me on the edge of my seat. Oh and yes there is a lesbian scene that is more than kissing so I could see how it could have been awkward seeing this with a parent. So best to keep that in mind if you have yet to see it! hahaha :lol:

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been wanting to see it, but before I do, I think I need to know more about this hangnail scene! :errrr:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually, if you blink you mightl miss it so don't let that stop you from seeing one of the best movies of 2010.

MoZo

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
O man, this movie freaked me out. Honestly the acting was great, but i hated the hanging storyline.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I went and scrounged up a bunch of clips, including the lesbian bit. Now I want to see it even more! It looks so freaky.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
My friend is a controller at an agency in Hollywood, so he gets screening copies. I'll be able to watch it at home...good thing too so I don't have to bring my kid to the movies! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results