shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you return this stone?

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
A couple of months ago, I bought a sphene on Ebay - it was an auction, and I got for 79 dollars. It arrived, and it does look beautiful (good but not great native cut, but lovely yellow colour and of course that wonderful dispersion). It has been sitting there in its little plastic box, but one day, when I took it out to admire it, I noticed what looked like a very smooth internal fracture. I actually wondered if the stone might be glued together from two smaller pieces before cutting, but the seller denied this, saying it was a natural crack.

The seller is willing to let me return the stone, even though nearly two months have passed. I did feel that I paid next to nothing for a 2+ carat sphene, but at the same time, I would be worried that the stone would be too delicate to be set and worn. The crack, though visible from the side only, is quite large, and sphene already being a delicate stone, I don't think I would have the nerves to have it set.

What would you do? Keep or return?

SSP120011A.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sphene is so dicey anyway to set, that I'll let those who've had experience setting sphene weigh in. LD will probably pop in at some point and she can advise you. Let me ask, though, it sounds like the crack is surface reaching - is it? Because if you have a surface reaching crack in a sphene, I doubt you'll find anyone willing to set it. $79 is not a lot, but I bet you could find one with more structural integrity on ebay for less. I guess it depends on how much you'll have to pay in shipping, etc.?

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1334869420|3175444 said:
Let me ask, though, it sounds like the crack is surface reaching - is it? Because if you have a surface reaching crack in a sphene, I doubt you'll find anyone willing to set it.

That was kind of what I figured.

It does look like it reaches the surface, but not in the sense that there is a gaping crack breaking the surface.

Nope, it is not a lot, but if the stone is unsettable, I would indeed rather have the money I spent for it going to having another stone set (and I do have a few - highest priority are my colour shift sappire and my red spinel).

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
$79 is very cheap for a sphene. Internal inclusions are very common, my issue would be if it was surface reaching.

If it were mine it would go into a box as a collection stone at that price rather than spending money on shipping.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough call. On the one hand, the inclusion that you know see would make me not want to set it. Even if you find somebody capable and willing to set sphenes, he/she might not want to touch a stone like that. On the other hand, I don't know how far you are shipping the stone. How does it measure compared to the $79 cost? Does the seller have a stone that you can sort of exchange for in lieu of the refund?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally, i wouldn't buy sphene to set.....but like Pandora i would keep this one to admire.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if I don't set it (and I know I will never set my sphene), I think such a far reaching inclusion will bug me to no end and therefore, interfere with my enjoyment of the stone.

beau-wy

Rough_Rock
Trade
My advice to buyers for over 30 years has been, if you wonder if you should return it, return it. Keep only what you love at first sight, and you will never be disappointed in your gems.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
beau-wy|1334894863|3175879 said:
My advice to buyers for over 30 years has been, if you wonder if you should return it, return it. Keep only what you love at first sight, and you will never be disappointed in your gems.

worth repeating.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, it depends on the shipping costs back. If the S&H is a significant part of the cost of the stone, then I would probably keep it. Otherwise, I would keep it as a study stone, for part of my collection, as Pandora stated.

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Is it a crack or a veil. Big difference.

Personally, I would rather have a surface reaching crack than one that didn't as it has already grown as far as it can in that direction. A non surface reaching could turn into surface reaching with some pressure.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I guess there are a few questions to ask:

1. If you return it, will you lose out on postage costs? If so, is it actually worth returning?
2. Were you going to have it set? That MAY make a difference as to whether the stone has a worrying inclusion or not.
3. If you aren't going to set it, do you love the look of it and would it be a play thing?
4. The price for Sphene has climbed over the past year or so but you can probably get a 2ct one for what you've paid elsewhere (not sure about the quality because haven't seen a real life picture of yours).
5. Have you shopped around to see if there are others that catch your eye and also to compare prices? That often is the deal breaker/changer for me.

To help you make your decision:

http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/index.html There are a number of 2ct ones here. Multicolour typically price fairly so if you see a high price there is normally a reason why!

http://www.ajsgem.com/sphene-gemstone-2046340459.html

The only thing I would add is that buying sphene from a photo is almost impossible. Some don't have as great dispersion as others. some do. It's always worth speaking to the vendor if you find 2 or 3 stones you like and ask them to compare.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
beau-wy|1334894863|3175879 said:

This is probably the advice I would give if someone else asked. It's a pretty stone, but knowing that setting it is out of the question does bug me. Besides, it's not my first sphene - I have a smaller (but structurally integral) stone.

I know we're talking peanuts here, but thanks for the feedback, all.

I know there is such a thing as a learning stone - but I have my share, and I would rather not have that many reminders.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results