shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, that's one way to handle a huge window...

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no they didn't! :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blingy sliding glass door with an orange tint! :o

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I understand their intention and hope, but the actual result just looks brown.
Maybe next time they could try a pinkish orange LED :idea:

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That's a cool and innovative idea, and I would drive forty minutes to check it out.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh my...the finished look is not appealing to me. Quite an interesting thing to see though.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
VapidLapid|1387073732|3574445 said:
I understand their intention and hope, but the actual result just looks brown.
Maybe next time they could try a pinkish orange LED :idea:
:lol: awesome.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rather expensive method of closing the window which does both no favours. Diamonds are not inexpensive and the top center stone is blocking the light required to make them sparkle. It would be interesting to see if it looks better or different in person. Doesn't that mean the setting is quite high to accommodate 2 tiers of gems?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess the jeweler deserves points for trying, but I think I'd rather have the window! :D

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mental note to self: Do not do that to close any window ever.

I'd go look at it in person to see if ANYTHING in the ring sparkles. Lol.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
I'm not even going to be delicate about it: That's a dog of a ring.

The result speaks for itself, but the intentions behind the design are probably honest enough: Filling that window with the sparkle of diamonds. However, I don't like the intentions behind the description: "Confronted with the soft tones of this gorgeous “pad” sapphire, we chose enhance the already brilliant stone by presenting it over a field of brilliant white diamonds which bathe the underside of featured gem with a subtle glow." I simply don't like this sort of creative diversion from the real issue. It's almost like they're saying that light tone the reason why you can see through the stone. Which isn't the case - this stone is poorly proportioned and should have had some weight sacrificed for a better light return.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does nothing for me.

I would rather have the stone re-cut than to set in this setting.

DK :))

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
ohmyohmyohmy!!! :shock: I think what they had is a pancake and decided to be inventive about setting it. Notice no dimensions. Maybe it's only a slice with facets :lol: They should have gone for a pendant and stuck a diamond in the middle of the - err - face :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1387069881|3574410 said:
Blingy sliding glass door with an orange tint! :o

Perfect description! The window is so big, a re-cut would end up with a tiny chip, but hey, a well-colored chip is better than that gorilla. Obviously intended for some poor naive buyer who thinks she's getting a prize. Wonder what the price is.

--- Laurie

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
stacked 'windowing' colored stones progressively getting smaller a good way to make commercial goods look nicer maybe

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Edward Bristol|1387186035|3575132 said:
Perhaps with less expensive coloured stones? That could open a wide range of new designs.

I swear I've seen this done, but can't remember where. And the outcome really was pretty. I don't like the look of the ring in this thread, but will have to go see if I can find it because it was really neat.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
This is horrifying! :shock:

Really, really, awful. I wouldn't wear it if it was given to me for free. :sick:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You all jogged my memory and I think I've found the picture a few of you were referring to. This is a much prettier way to "close" the window without looking as though it is trying too hard.

topaz_torus2.jpg

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
That's kind of neat :)

The one sticking in my memory was a pendant... sort of a "dish" design (like peter lees aura pendants) with another stone in front - there were reflections of the back stone all around the dish and the colors really complemented the front stone, but for the life of me I can't find it now.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't recall the "dish pendant" but will keep looking. This Hans Meevis design will cover any stone with a significant window in a far more attractive look.

hans_meevis.jpg

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Edward Bristol|1387186035|3575132 said:
I like the idea.

So many stone with ugly windows around. Why not prep them up?

Because the result ain't pretty. It brings to mind the old, indelicate phrase "polishing a *beep*!". Forgive me, I just feel that this design is too obvious and unsuccessful an attempt at hiding a flaw.

For the record, I think the two solutions Chrono posted are more aesthetically pleasing, even if the one with the amethyst is a bit naughty. :tongue:

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
And for the record, I am not belittling the quality of the material, but I don't like it when stones are cut to preserve weight at the expense of light feedback.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1387207391|3575265 said:
You all jogged my memory and I think I've found the picture a few of you were referring to. This is a much prettier way to "close" the window without looking as though it is trying too hard.

Yes, but you wouldn't want to do that to a very expensive windowed stone. The through of drilling a hole in a valuable stone makes me do this. :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The dish pendant was the one belonging to our lovely Russian lady poster (Arketia). It was a fabulous Fanta Garnet.

The blue ring above is mine (well, actually it was but I returned it). I thought it was expensive for a topaz with a diamond in the middle lol!

As for the ring in the first post - errrrrrrrrr ok! How strange! As costume jewellery I can see it working but not with a half decent stone.

Having said that De Beers made a ring called Secret Kiss of the Rose (or something like that) and David Beckham bought it for his wife, Victoria. It featured a 10ct white diamond with a .80ct pink diamond embedded inside it!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, wow. That's, er, interesting! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results